Forum: General / Jazz / Jazz - Professionals

Jazz - Professionals
dance in Denver
By Kittyvc123 Comments: 14, member since Sat Jul 19, 2008
On Wed Sep 30, 2009 08:23 AM

Heya everyone!
Well i am German and me and my Husband are going to move to Denver beginning next year.
We actually wanted to move to NYC but my Husband is a Soldier, so things are changing aaaaall the time!
But well... who knows about dance in Denver ? are there any good Companies or Schools ?
I am a dancer in the Opera in Nürnberg right now and i am a part at the Company here, so maybe there is anything like that in Denver ?

i hope someone can help me ;)
i´m a little scared to move to america .... aaaaaah
so thanks :)
Kitty

5 Replies to dance in Denver

re: dance in Denver
By toroandbruinmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 3627, member since Fri Oct 10, 2008
On Tue Oct 06, 2009 09:09 AM
I looked at the Website for the Opera in Nürnberg and it looks like it has a great, (somewhat new?) ballet company. Don't you want to post your question on the ballet board, here at dance.net?

Denver and its suburbs is a sprawling metropolis. For example the northern suburbs go almost to the city of Boulder, Colorado, and the southern suburbs go almost to the town of Castle Rock, Colorado. It's quite a long drive! There are quite a lot of dance schools and studios all over the area. I'm not as familiar with them all as I was when my daughter was at home and taking dance. The center of Denver has the Colorado Ballet and to the north there is Ballet Nouveau. For modern dance, we have the nationally known Cleo Parker Robinson dance company. For jazz and contemporary, the Michelle Latimer Dance Academy, to the south of our area, received a lot of publicity when one of their students was a finalist on TV in "So You Think You Can Dance".

Where will your husband be stationed? It will determine what part of the area you will live in. Is he in the US military or is he in the German military stationed as a liaison here in the US? Will you be getting citizenship or will you be getting a green card?

I'm sure you will enjoy living here. Colorado is a great state with a lot of good scenery and, once we are over the current economic slump, Denver will once more be a growing area.
On Tue Oct 13, 2009 06:22 AM
Heya!!

My Husband is with the US Army and is going recruiting now because he had a bad Knee surgery and cant be deployed anymore. (wich is good i think !!!! hehehe)
Sooo January we will move to the Denver area BUT i dont know where yet. :(
But Joe said that it is going to be Denver because its a big City and most Recruiting Stations are in bigger Citys ... puh i hope thats all right!

Yes our Ballettcompany is VERY good.
Its not Ballett anymore since 1986 though, its modern.
straight european modern with a little bit of jazz here and there. Classical Companies in Germany are just in Munich, Berlin, Hamburg and Stuttgart ...thats it .. no more left.
So i didnt know if i should ask that question in the ballettsection because i am more Jazz and modern then Ballett.

But thank you so much for your help .. i will check the names out and i hope i will find something for me :)
i really dont want to give up dancing and work as something else so i keep my fingers crossed ;) thanks again :)
By BailarinaEnRosa Comments: 133, member since Thu Dec 30, 2004
On Thu Dec 10, 2009 03:45 PM
Hi Kittyvc.

I was just wondering how your move to Denver went and what you think of the dance scene there. I'm graduating from college soon and looking for companies. It looks like Denver has some amazing contemporary ballet- Ballet Nouveau and David Taylor Dance Theatre. Have you had a chance to interact with either of these companies? How do you like the city?
On Thu Dec 10, 2009 04:31 PM
well i am not there yet :( ... right now it looks like we are moving end of February :) ... i´m soooo ecxited :))))) ( did i spell that right ?? hahaha ... i dont know but you know what i mean ) ... i got some tapes ready to maybe send them there already but i´m not sure if i should just wait till i am there myselfe ... hmmm... what do you think ?
BUT anyways .. when i´m there i will let you know ? ... maybe you are there earlier and YOU can let ME know ;) ...
By BailarinaEnRosa Comments: 133, member since Thu Dec 30, 2004
On Mon Dec 14, 2009 05:19 PM
Thanks for the response! I'm sure February will be there before you know it! I don't think sending in materials would ever hurt you. It seems like most auditions are in March so if you don't get there until February it might help if they already know you. I will definitely let you know if/when I go. Good luck!

ReplySendWatch