Forum: Advice / Cars & Driving

Page:
Page 1 of 2: 1 2
Radar Detectors? Do You Own One?
By DancinDiva2005member has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:14 PM

Question is in the title.

I've been debating getting one for awhile, because I have a bit of a lead foot, but I've also heard that if you were to get pulled over, and you have one in your car, cops are a lot more strict with you.

Thoughts? Do you have one? Good investment or waste of money?

35 Replies to Radar Detectors? Do You Own One?

re: Radar Detectors? Do You Own One?
By HollieErin
On Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:19 PM
Make sure that you are legally allowed to have one. They are illegal where I am from and there are signs when you enter the province that state that they are illgal and what the fine is.
By pokomember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:49 PM
My GPS shows all fixed speed cameras on the road, but doesn't show any "side of the road" coppers. But, my theory is, don't speed and you wont need one. I know too many people killed due to speeding people, so I make sure I never go over the speed limit.
By Heartmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:00 PM
Radar detectors aren't supposed to work because as soon as they detect the radar, it's already in range of your car and the cops have gotten the reading. It doesn't detect all kinds of radars, and most importantly, won't protect against lasers, which is what most PDs have now or will be switching to shortly. Lasers are much more accurate because they pin-point your car exactly. (If you've ever watched Speeders, they've explained the difference on a few episodes.)

My friend had one a few years back, and the thing would beep every two feet. Needless to say, there wasn't a cop every two feet - we drove through a commercial area, and the thing must've been beeping at radios, cell phones, who knows.

I think it's a waste of money. Honing the cop-hiding-spot-detection skills is much more valuable.
By Kekoamember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:15 PM
Nope. I go the speed limit or under unless I'm in the left lane on a freeway, in which case I'll set my cruise control for 3 or 4 over.
On Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:09 AM
Edited by DancinDiva2005 (17591) on 2009-10-01 00:12:17
So far, it sounds like I should just keep with my current method of just watching out in cop-zones..or "Honing the cop-hiding-spot-detection skills" as Heart said.

I didn't know they didn't pick up lazers, nor that they only picked up the radar once you were in their range..Thanks for that. Looks like I'll be saving my money and investing in something else.
By Kekoamember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:12 AM
^Be careful with that, cops are sneaky devils. I got my one and only ticket in the boonies and man, that cop was impossible to see.
On Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:17 AM
^Ugh, yeah I know..they like to hide behind bushes at the bottom of hills around here.

And the one speeding ticket I got, I was driving on the highway on the way to visit my friend at her university, and the speed limit dropped by 10 (from 70) every 2 minutes..and dropped all the way down to 35 when you entered these small little towns that the highway passed through.
Apparently the area is a highway patrol headquarters city, so they're everywhere..and they're known to hide out whenever the speed limit drops down, but that was my first time driving there, so I wasn't aware of this trap. :(
re: Radar Detectors? Do You Own One? (karma: 3)
By Beckymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Oct 01, 2009 02:46 AM
You know. I dont reaaaly see whats wrong with keeping to the speed limit. Your risking your life and other peoples life. There is a speed limit for a reason and who gave you the all mighty to do your own speed?

Anyways. Just my 2cent.
re: Radar Detectors? Do You Own One? (karma: 3)
By Munkensteinmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Oct 01, 2009 05:49 AM
^Some places have issues and set the speed limits artificially low for various reasons. We have a major highway here that ranges from three to six lanes, depending on where you are in regards to exits and what not...the speed limit is 55mph. You will get run over if you go 55 on that highway. It's insane. So yeah, I'm not going to be a hazard by going slower than the flow of traffic. Everybody thinks that speeding is so dangerous but how about the studies that show how people speeding are typically paying more attention to the road? I've seen plenty of people slowing down, swerving all over, and generally driving like crap because they are messing with something and not looking at the road. Those people are more dangerous than somebody who is simply speeding but paying attention to everything around them. Sorry, pet peeve...I get so tired of hearing OMG SPEEDINGZ ARE BAD while there are such dangerous behaviors that people seem to ignore. My city got a fleet of new police cars to do nothing but pull over people speeding...so useless since the speed limit is so messed up as previously mentioned.

That said, my brother gave me a radar detector and yeah, they can work at times. There are also laser jammers, I believe, but I don't have anything so fancy, heh. I asked a friend's dad who is a cop and he told me that they're legal everywhere in the US except for like, Virginia or something. I can't remember; I just remember that this state is okay. And if you have a decent detector, it'll have different alerts for different things...I can tell the difference between an automatic door and a cop easily.

Mandatory anecdote: The greatest thing to ever happen was when I was driving at night on a road where dick cops like to hide in the median and the detector went off. I eased off the gas and this douche behind me starts tailgating and being a general pest. He gets into another lane and slams on the gas, going by as fast as he can...right by the cop, who pulled him over. I laughed so freaking hard.
By Shortgirl75member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Oct 01, 2009 07:06 AM
I wouldn't waste the money because the technology is changing so much I don't think it is worth it.

Funny story: my dad still plugs in his 1992-fuzzbuster into the cig lighter in his truck, drives around on 30mph roads, and slows down when the thing beeps. He's never, not since he received this thing for christmas '91 from my then-mullet haired brother, read the directions. I think the thing is beeping to be put out of its misery, but I could be wrong.
By DancingDiva736member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Oct 01, 2009 07:14 AM
I had one as a teenager that we pretty much switched in to whoevers car was driving. I never was much of a speeder, but my husband drove like a maniac when we were teens so we used it often with him. Back then, the one we had was pretty good, and pretty expensive. Now the way technology changes all the time I think that buying one now would be a waste. Cops are trained to be sneaky, and as someone above said, by the time that thing starts to beep it is usually too late. The only thing that will keep you from getting a ticket then is if someone else around you just so happened to be going even faster than you are.
On Thu Oct 01, 2009 07:27 AM
Edited by DancinDiva2005 (17591) on 2009-10-01 07:34:18
Edited by DancinDiva2005 (17591) on 2009-10-01 07:41:06
I do drive above the speed limit, but I also am very aware of my surroundings (as Munk said). I've also heard that before that most accidents happen at slower speeds (Traffic vs highways), because it doesn't you don't have to pay as much attention to what you're doing. I've actually avoided plenty of accidents because of that.
There are so many people around here, that aren't paying attention (ie: changing lanes at the last second and cutting people off, driving slower than the speed limit in the left lane, and when I pass them, I see they have their head down sending a text message)..So yeah, not all speeders are bad.

I don't want for this to turn into a debate at all, just putting in my two cents for why I drive the way I do.

Thanks for all of your thoughts/comments/opinions :)

Edit: I just found this:
www.thenewspaper.com . . .
Either way, I say drive at the speed you're comfortable at (within reason, of course). Ultimately, you need to feel in control of your vehicle.
By TheMidlakeMusemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Oct 01, 2009 07:46 AM
"Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?" - George Carlin

Everybody thinks they're the best driver on the road...

Dani
By Chaconnemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Oct 01, 2009 08:32 AM
To an above post, yes radar detectors are illegal in Virginia. I live in Maryland, the next state over, go to VA every week and there are signs at the state border where I go saying they are illegal.

I've never had one because there are so many advances in technology you'd have to be an electronic warfare expert to keep up with them.

One thing we have here, including three in our town (an outlying Washington, DC suburb) are roadside cameras. We have two types one for red-light running violations and the other for speeding. You exceed the speed limit by 11 mph (about 15km) and it takes your picture. You then get the photo in the mail and a $40 fine to mail in. You can frame the photo if you wish :). They are pretty effective as everyone who is local now slows down because every one knows where they are. My wife did get caught in one. The locations are published and they are permanently mounted. They will also be put near schools that are near major streets and roads. There are also some portable ones which can be moved. For a while, our county was the only one that had them but they are now authorized for the entire state, though most smaller counties say they won't buy them.

Jon
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Oct 01, 2009 09:59 AM
I asked my fiancee to join the forum tonight and respond to this thread, because there's lots of misinformation flying around here, and I want to make sure that it gets corrected by someone who knows the technicalities of it.

In the meantime, while we wait for him to get home from work, learn more about radar at HIS website: guysoflidar.com.
By pokomember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Oct 01, 2009 06:16 PM
You will get run over if you go 55 on that highway. It's insane. So yeah, I'm not going to be a hazard by going slower than the flow of traffic.

I don't know how differant the roads are in America vs Australia... but in regards to the above comment...if everyone went the speed limit, would you still get run over?
By Beckymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Oct 02, 2009 01:57 AM
Edited by Becky (171126) on 2009-10-02 01:59:59 few formatting things
I dont want to start a debate but;

I do drive above the speed limit, but I also am very aware of my surroundings

Yeah but guess what? Your reaction speeds dont increase with your speed. You've obviously never been affected or seen the affects of an accident where speeding has been a major contributing factor.

Speeding increases the risk of a crash and the severity of the crash outcome.

The risk of causing death or injury in an urban 60km/h speed zone increases rapidly even with relatively small increases in speed. The accident risk at 65km/h is about twice the risk at 60km/h. At 70km/h, the accident risk is more than four times the risk at 60km/h.
Speed – km/h Risk relative to 60 km/h
65 - Double
70 - 4 times
75 - 11 times
80 - 32 times

The risk of a crash when driving at 68km/h in a 60km/h zone is the same as driving with a blood alcohol level of 0.08. The risk of a crash when driving at 72km/h in a 60km/h zone is the same as driving with a blood alcohol level of 0.12.

A key issue in speeding-related crashes is that most motorists underestimate the distance needed to stop. A car travelling at 60km/h in dry conditions takes about 38 metres to stop. A car travelling at 80km/h needs an extra 20 metres.
www.rta.nsw.gov.au . . .

I know I wont change your mind. But I do hope that you slow down. Speeding kills not matter which way you put it. Maybe be do things different in Australia. But roads are roads. Cars are cars and speeding is still speeding no matter which country your in
re: Radar Detectors? Do You Own One? (karma: 2)
By Heartmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Oct 02, 2009 02:08 AM
For what it's worth, I have to say, cops are the absolute worst drivers I've ever met. This is probably because they don't "have" to follow the traffic laws. Actions speak louder than words... and they have lead feet.
On Fri Oct 02, 2009 05:36 AM
I don't see how driving 5 km/h extra over the speed limit (I'm assuming that's roughly 10mph..) can make you double your chances of having an accident.
To be honest, when I know I'm in a cop-heavy area and I have to make myself stick to that speed, I feel more distracted by making sure I'm not going over the speed limit, than in other areas where I feel I'm able to focus more on the road than hitting the break every 2 minutes. And like I said, I've also avoided several would-be accidents initiated by other people by driving the way I do. And when I say I speed, I'm not saying I drive recklessly and drive 20mph over the speed limit all the time swerving in and out of cars. I do pay great attention to my surroundings when my speed is higher..just like most people do when they drive faster. For example, are you more or less likely to be fiddling with the radio or your phone when you're driving faster or slower?
By AlwaysOnStagePremium member
On Fri Oct 02, 2009 08:39 AM
When it comes to driving, there is such a thing as 'flow of traffic'.

Hypothetically: the speed limit is 70mph, and the majority of the drivers are driving about 77mph. You're more of a danger to stay right at 70....you're causing an anomalies in the flow of traffic, that affects everyone around you. It'd be better to go 74/75 than 70.

I used to be "The speed limit and nothing more". However, practical driving and theoretical driving are different.
By ConUnaSonrisamember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:00 AM
In my personal opinion, I think it's also about where the speeding is being done. If you're going 15 mph over in a neighborhood (35 mph in a 20 mph zone for example) I think that's a LOT worse than going 15 mph over on the highway (85 mph in a 70 mph).

Just be careful. Watch your surroundings. I'm not a huge speeder but I do speed a little. In my four years of driving, I have yet to get pulled over, or in an accident that's my fault *knock on wood* And besides, it's pretty fun to go 120 mph in my Mercedes at 1 AM on the freeway. No one else is around! It's all about the situation. But you bet your buttons I maintain the law in school zones, neighborhoods, etc.
By Munkensteinmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:11 AM
I don't know how differant the roads are in America vs Australia... but in regards to the above comment...if everyone went the speed limit, would you still get run over?

Why does it matter since the speed limit is set too low to be appropriate for the road? It's almost a non-factor because I don't ever see it happening where everybody is going to speed limit unless it's raised. There are plenty of equivalent roads in other states where the limit it set at 65mph, but not here; it has to do with a stupid state law about highways versus interstates and funding. It's not about our safety or anything of the sort; it's politics and padding coffers. Again, I don't know the differences in how things are done in other places versus here, but read up on the 85th percentile if you're curious for more information on some of this stuff.

I used to be "The speed limit and nothing more". However, practical driving and theoretical driving are different.

Same here. When I first got a license and actually started driving, it was a huge eye opener. I paid attention in driver's education and I do everything I'm supposed to - use signals, check blind spots all the time, keep checking mirrors, etc. But I no longer obsessively follow speed limits...I have learned how to drive defensively and keep myself safe and that involves going along with traffic.

I know I wont change your mind. But I do hope that you slow down. Speeding kills not matter which way you put it. Maybe be do things different in Australia. But roads are roads. Cars are cars and speeding is still speeding no matter which country your in

Sorry, but I will never agree with the alarmist "Speed kills!" campaigns. Firstly, who comes up with these magic numbers? The town where I went to high school has a reputation as being one giant speed trap for the city to bring in some revenue that it needs. The roads are flat, wide, open, nice roads...yet they keep the limit at 30mph on most of them. Quite often, you'll glance down at the speedometer and realize you're going 45mph or 50mph comfortably. People who don't live there get pulled over all the time when they come into town and haven't seen the signs lowering the limit yet...who would think that the same road suddenly has a change from 40mph to 30mph? It's the same road, just a different town...

Secondly, speeding itself doesn't kill, as plenty of us are obviously still alive. What kills people is not knowing when to slow down or when to speed up, not paying attention, and probably the biggest one: inexperience. How many times have you heard about idiot kids who just got a license wrecking their cars? The fact that they were speeding hardly matters to me; they were inexperienced and didn't know how to handle a car and go an appropriate speed. Plenty of other experienced drivers could probably go the same speed as the idiot kid and be fine...or they wouldn't take a sharp curve at a high speed in the rain or whatever else happens. I'm one of few people I know who didn't wreck or completely total a car as a teenager, so I must be doing something right. *shrug* My poor car has just been abused by pathetic morons in parking lots who think they should be entitled to the belongings of others and those who don't respect other people's cars.
On Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:35 PM
Edited by DancinDiva2005 (17591) on 2009-10-02 12:37:44
Ok, well I know we all are in disagreement on the whole speeding thing..but I know we can all agree that the person I was following home from work today had far too much going on in his car at one time.

I passed him and saw that he was smoking with one hand (and steering), talking on his cell phone with the other, and had a giant monkey swinging back and forth from his rear-view mirror. (ie: the kind that have velcro on feet and hands..with long arms and legs..)

Edit: Oh, and speaking of getting run over if you drive under the speed limit..after I passed that guy, a few minutes later, I entered one of those two lane roads..all uphill, which is technically 30 mph..but no one..and I repeat no one goes 30 on it..(unless it's downpouring, snowing, or there are cops at the other end..)..and we were going 23mph..breaking up-hill, and by the end of it there was a line of 12 cars. yeah. That's a bit too slow.
On Fri Oct 02, 2009 03:14 PM
I'm with Munk. I've also never been in any major accidents, and nothing that was my fault. I also used to drive like that when I first got my license and have learned to drive more aggressively and to focus more on what others are doing around me than on keeping to the posted speed..and it's worked for me.
The only thing I've had happen to my car was a minor fender bender..again, not my fault..it happened because we were making lefts at a light (2 lanes) and she decided to merge into my lane/car mid-turn, and afterward said she wasn't paying attention and didn't see me. That's great. It's also illegal to switch lanes in the middle of an intersection.
Page:
Page 1 of 2: 1 2

ReplySendWatch