Forum: Ballet / Guys in Ballet

Cycling shorts in ballet class?
By se81ballet
On Sun Oct 04, 2009 01:33 AM

Hi all, this is my first post here, so, I'll get right to the point. I'm taking a beginning ballet class at the local community college, and my teacher suggested those wearing bike shorts an alternative to what I usually wear. My questions are: 1) how many guys wear shores for class; and 2) where can I find some cheap ones for class? My teacher said I could find some cheap at wal-mart, but I could only find womens' Danskin shorts www.walmart.com . . . (though they are cheap though)
Are these unisex, or is there a difference between mens and womens shorts? or can someone tell me where I could find cheap ones?
Thanks very much for the help!

14 Replies to Cycling shorts in ballet class?

re: Cycling shorts in ballet class?
By yostretch
On Sun Oct 04, 2009 08:14 AM
That type of short is unisex in design. You would jsut have to make sure that the fabric is thick enough for a guy, but wearing them should not be a problem. You may have to guess at the sizing but small medium and large are pretty easy to figure out.

ps make sure you wear a dance belt....

stretch
By Nutcracker_Boy
On Sun Oct 04, 2009 09:01 AM
I'm sure your teacher didn't mean the REAL bike shorts with the thick chamois pad in the crotch, but rather the just above the kneecap spandex shorts like the ones you found at Walmart. I sometimes wear those for summer classes in a hot studio.
By SilverGreyDancermember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Oct 05, 2009 09:22 AM
Quick question what are you wearing now? If you have tights already no need for the shorts. Got a Dicks Sporting Goods nearby or any other sports store? Cycling shorts are usually padded you should look for running shorts.
By luv2plie
On Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:52 AM
Walmart sells mens Bike shorts. I sometimes wear them to ballet classes but most of the time I am wearing tights . A dance belt is nescessary!

Have fun

Kev
By se81ballet
On Wed Oct 07, 2009 09:47 PM
Well, I was wearing black sweatpants, but the teacher asked if I could get something different, so she could see my knees. I went to the local Wal-mart and Target, but they didn't have what I was looking for (I guess it is a little late in the year for that stuff to be in, too) and I checked some of the sporting goods stores, but everything was on the expensive side if it was in at all. Ultimately, I just opted for tights instead (ironically, they were easier to find locally, too). Btw, thanks for the reminders, but I'm already aware of the whole dance belt thing.
By mohabee
On Thu Oct 08, 2009 06:21 PM
Hi se81Ballet!

For most classes, spandex is usually the material of choice. Certainly, go buy women's shorts, if they fit you.

To find good quality shorts, go to a Nike or Addidas store, or one of their overstock stores. Of course, check online, too, for these or any other athletic clothing supplier.

One suggestion: ride a bike to class! It's good fitness for you, and will warm you up. And you'll already have the riding shorts on. This suggestion is good for warm weather, however--riding in snow might be difficult.

Keep On Dancing!

Mohabee
By LittleButFierce
On Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:29 AM
M.Stevens makes "bike shorts" for guys and also footed and non footed tights. They are made of milliskin which is basically spandex. I think you might be able to order them online at discount dance. I think also tutu.com sells the bike shorts.
By Old_Ballet_Dude
On Thu Nov 26, 2009 04:38 PM
Why would you wear bike shorts? I would hate to have my hairy legs show. For me it's tights.
By se81ballet
On Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:29 AM
that's ultimately the route I took for that same reason
By gregb1
On Fri Nov 27, 2009 07:47 AM
Dude, sometimes I wear bike shorts and sometimes tights. What I wear is usually dependent on whats in the wash!--LOL
By Limber
On Tue Dec 01, 2009 07:22 AM
se81ballet wrote:

Hi all, this is my first post here, so, I'll get right to the point. I'm taking a beginning ballet class at the local community college, and my teacher suggested those wearing bike shorts an alternative to what I usually wear. My questions are: 1) how many guys wear shores for class; and 2) where can I find some cheap ones for class? My teacher said I could find some cheap at wal-mart, but I could only find womens' Danskin shorts www.walmart.com . . . (though they are cheap though)
Are these unisex, or is there a difference between mens and womens shorts? or can someone tell me where I could find cheap ones?
Thanks very much for the help!

Personally I dont like the idea of wearing shorts unless perhaps it was incredibly hot wather.

I also loathe tights, they rarely look 'right' to me on a male form.

I opt for basic leggings, I usually wear them rolled up above the ankle or get capri leggings, I think they look less unnatural than tights (to me).

Or you can get these wooly leggings or pants ('skights' etc) which are warm, unconfining and can also be made into a capri form.

That's what I do and the teacher is fine, I think this is a good compormise if you find tights a little too formal and shorts a little informal (as I do).

Hugh
By tybalt
On Mon Dec 07, 2009 01:37 AM
In addition to the discussion about cycling shorts in class I post a pic with cycling shorts in performance (Hans v. Manen: In and out). As was written in the newspaper review: Saucy and sexy (LOL)
By stormshadow
On Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:28 PM
Walmart sells compression shorts that are fairly cheap, so you could always try those. I have a pair and they've worked for me when I don't feel like wearing tights.
By damihavnicelegz
On Fri Dec 25, 2009 03:36 PM
I find my spandex shorts at Scheeles Sporting goods, they are usually in the running section.

ReplySendWatch