Forum: Ballet / Guys in Ballet

Page:
Page 2 of 2: 1 2
re: i want to get ballet stuff but dont want parents to know
By balletisawesome
On Sun Jun 27, 2010 03:59 PM
also go on facebook and find some other dancers who can help teach you and stuff, and become friends with as many dancers as you can :] so they can help you, because i found some dancers that love to us guys out :)
By Jerisonharper
On Tue Jun 29, 2010 03:19 PM
Its really sad to hear about (and to fight against) the on going stigma on men doing ballet..Same for many other female oriented jobs or hobbies..The 1st thing I get when I say I learn dance is a stare and then laughter (in a mocking sense). Once in a blue moon, I'll get someone encouraging saying,"wow, its good! its art that you are doing."

In any case, we are here because of our love for dance. I would just like to say, keep dancing and stay strong! We are not alone! (even if some can be the only guy in class)
By se81ballet
On Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:04 PM
Jerisonharper wrote:

Its really sad to hear about (and to fight against) the on going stigma on men doing ballet..Same for many other female oriented jobs or hobbies..The 1st thing I get when I say I learn dance is a stare and then laughter (in a mocking sense). Once in a blue moon, I'll get someone encouraging saying,"wow, its good! its art that you are doing."

The funny thing is, of all the people I have told, no one has given me an (openly) negative response. Most people are actually supportive of it. Regardless, I am careful of who should know about it.
By ryanlikesballet
On Sat Jul 10, 2010 07:18 AM
Thanks for all your replys. I'm starting to pick up confidence on getting stuff now.
By se81ballet
On Wed Jul 14, 2010 09:57 PM
Edited by se81ballet (216937) on 2010-07-14 21:59:14
Good luck. In my experience, getting started was the most nerve-wracking part, walking into an alien world with people you have never met, but after a short while of taking classes you get accustomed to things and get to know the other people in class, it becomes second nature and you don't even think about the difficulties of getting to class, being judged, etc.
Page:
Page 2 of 2: 1 2

ReplySendWatch