Ballet and Smoking? -- How many of you dancers smoke even though you do ballet?
By its_ashee_x3
On 10/12/2009 06:35:24
I've been so amazed by how many dancers I know who actually smoke. I use to think my generation and especially dancers were smarter than this. After three years of high school I've realized that my generation is, if anything, even more stupid than the previous generations and smoke younger and more. But this past summer I noticed just how many girls at my studio (mainly 16, 17, 18-- although some even younger) and women (19+) who smoke cigarettes. I always thought that dancers knew that smoking is going to be bad for their dancing but I guess things happen and cigarettes are addictive. Just wanted to know how many of you out there smoke or if you know dancers who do.
Thanks!
re: Ballet and Smoking? -- How many of you dancers smoke even though you do ballet?
By PrimaPointe92
On 10/13/2009 08:42:21
I myself DO NOT smoke and never plan on smoking. However, my own dance teacher smokes. She's a magnificant teacher and dancer, but I wish she would quit smoking. I know that she knows it's not good for her. I'm very sure it is extremely hard to quit.
re: Ballet and Smoking? -- How many of you dancers smoke even though you do ballet?
By odile53
On 10/13/2009 20:57:19
Actually, I do smoke right now, but have quit several times, for several years at a time. It is not impossible to do, just difficult. The so called cigarette and coffee diet is hogwash, bad for your bones, bad for your cardiovascular system, and bad for just about anything to do with ballet. Incredibly, when I was a kid taking ballet, many of the older students smoked, as did the studio owner and the other two teachers. As a matter of fact, kids weren't allowed in the office. I had to go in there to drop off my tuition once and saw why: A thick fog of smoke hung heavily in the air, and literally hung to about three feet above the floor. You would have to be living in a cave to think there is any redeeming issue about cigarette smoking, including stress management and weight control. There is a syndrome called thin fat person. It refers to a person who appears slender, but has the cardiovascular system and muscle tone of a person who weighs considerably above ideal body weight. Quite a few smokers fall into this category. As far as weight control is concerned, I invite everyone here who is even thinking about taking up this unhealthy habit to look the next time they see smokers congregated outside a building to smoke. You will see just as many fat smokers as you do thin ones. For the record, I have a quit date selected and have enrolled in a support group. This time I intend to make it permanent. I am tired of spending this kind of money and suffering the sanction of society. For whatever reason, the ballet world is one of the last bastions of places where even the shreds of acceptability of smoking still is hanging on, and thankfully, that is changing. I am not moralizing in the least in these comments. Smoking is a dangerous and nefarious habit which is notoriously difficult to kick. I sincerely wish that the reader would consider this in light of his/her own circumstances, and take what action in this regard they consider appropriate: If you don't smoke, don't start. If you smoke, quit.
By taps2much
On 10/13/2009 21:25:38
odile, what is your quit date? I have wanted to quit for sometime but i really don't have a support system available in my daily life. What kind of support group do you have? I would really like some more info. Who knows maybe we can make a dancers quitting support group and call it "kick ball change the habit" (silly i know, but it is definitely a thought)
By luv2plie
On 10/13/2009 22:43:23
I do NOT smoke at all.....YUCK.... Kev
By rmdanceguy1
On 10/13/2009 23:32:18
I have never smoked at all in my life and will never start. I did find out one of my teachers who I really respect gave me an eye opener when she confessed she had smoked all the while she danced when she was with her company. She said all of the ladies did. She said she finally quit when her husband made her.
By Merfi
On 10/14/2009 03:28:49
I've never smoked anything, because a) I know that it's terrible for my health and that of those around me, b) I find it really gross, and c) what a waste of time and money!
By dancerocks22
On 10/15/2009 00:09:43
I have never smoked anything. I have a hard time breathing around cigarette smoke, so it would be pretty dumb of me to try a cigarette. Both of my parents smoke, though, and I hope one day they quit. Smoking is bad, period.
By piercedpikachu
On 10/15/2009 10:14:47
I started smoking at about 19 and I knew it would make me winded but it was like a stress reliever.... I really need to stop...I've stopped off and on: one year I won't smoke then the next year I'll smoke for one season then I'll stop for a few months then start again...then stop for a year then now I'm back to smoking again once a week. It really does hurt my dancing you get winded alot quicker :-(
By Deirdra
On 10/15/2009 14:21:39
Wow, smoking in ballet? I never knew. I guess where I take classes must be very conservative. Anyway, I have never smoked and I am glad I learned of the negative affects of it when I was younger. In my opinion, I believe smoking should not be allowed, especially for people who use their body constantly, like dancers. Not only will it cause cardiovascular problems, yellow teeth, and higher tendency to become more ill, it also cuts away your life. Now I know that smoking is a really hard habit to stop (so sorry if I sounded like a snob a second ago), but I hope whoever smokes and does ballet (or people who just smoke) will beat it. Best of luck to all of you trying to quit.
By luvxx2xxdance
On 10/15/2009 20:30:28
I don't smoke. I don't really know a lot of dancer's who do smoke. I know a lot of kids in my school do, but not the dancers.
By Deus_Ex_Machina
On 11/03/2009 12:43:32
[image=http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1288/1229815816_028caaf9d6.jpg] and Yes, yes I do. Djarum Black clove ciggs. I smoke like a d*mn chimney. I didnt used to though. A pack of cloves would last me about 5-6 months. Now a pack can last me anywhere from a day or two, or up to a week. Depends on my mood. Im not addicted to the nicotine, per se, its the flavor of the Djarum Black cloves that im hooked on. I wont smoke ANY other kind of cigg, hell, i wont even smoke the regular Djarum cloves. Blech! In fact, one sounds tasty right about now! I also smoke hookah, I find it relaxing.
By Miss_Tami_Lee
On 11/03/2009 17:39:47
I think most of these answers are pretty biased towards non-smokers. I smoke occasionally, and I dance and work out all the time. I could quit, but I choose not to. Where is the response for that?
By odile53
On 11/03/2009 18:38:42
For the record: My selected quit date is December 1st, and I have signed up with a support group run by the American Cancer Society. I plan to use Commit lozenges as NRT (nicotine replacement therapy) to help me get over the hump. Quitting smoking is not impossible: As I mentioned before, I've done it several times, for several years at a time. It's my opinion (based on my experience) that it is like any other form of substance abuse--even after years of abstinence, just one is enough to get re-hooked. This isn't a moral issue, it's a health issue. True, there are a lot of ballet dancers that do smoke, and smoke heavily, primarily in the mistaken thought that smoking will control weight. There are better ways of doing this. And if a skeletal physique is still preferred for professional ballet, it's high time that whole ball of wax gets rethought. Some of the bigger companies and the union have taken some measures to address other health issues among professional dancers. I've noticed recently that there is more of a trend toward a lean muscular physique rather than a wraithlike look. In any case, ingestion of a toxin (nicotine smoke) will not promote healthy weight loss, or much of anything healthy. Not a moral issue, folks, and no offense is intended toward any dancer who opts not to quit smoking at this time. It's a struggle to reach that point. Nope, the well-documented health risks are not moralizing at all--they are just facts.
By Deus_Ex_Machina
On 11/05/2009 15:19:36
One thing i think i should add as a smoker, i am a VERY polite smoker. Though i smoke on my way to and after ballet, i NEVER light up near the studio where anyone (students, parents, teachers etc) can see me, and either smoke in my car (i always park away from the studio, i hate odd parking lot) and I make sure that neither I nor my breath smells like smoke before entering the studio. I wouldnt want to set a bad example for the younger dancers nor would i want to give parents/teachers and my fellow peers a bad impression. Out side of dance im also a polite smoker. I dont smoke around my non smoking friends unless they dont care, and when I do i either step outside or go into my room. I dont smoke in the car unless its just myself and/or john. When we go out to eat or whatever with friends, i never excuse myself to go have a smoke nor do i smoke while eating. When i was working at, like, a real job I never asked for or took smoke breaks, I wouldnt even go smoke on my lunch break. They knew that I smoked because I would walk down a few doors to the tobacco shop to pick up packs of cloves. Also, like with dance studio, I never smoked in view of the store. Thats just rude. Yes, I'm a smoker, and that being my right its also my responsibility to be polite about it. Just because I choose to smoke dosnt give me the right to take smoke breaks at work or dance, annoy others who dont smoke and dont like being around it or take off from my friends just to go smoke a clove in the smoking section. I think all of that stuff is rude. ANyway, maybe thats just me. Odd, i know, esp coming from someone who smokes like a chimney. lol!
By alicelovestodace
On 11/05/2009 15:34:42
never have and never will. the smell makes me bawk :L
By SvenHirschz
On 11/19/2020 08:23:58
Ich mache seit uber zwanzig Jahren Ballett und habe ungefahr gleich geraucht. Jetzt ging ich zu https://snuskingdom.ch/snus-type/loose-snus.html dieser Produktion und es hilft mir. Ich rate Ihnen, auf sie zu achten.

© 2022 - www.dance.net -- 08/08/2022 17:12:33