Forum: Advice / Injuries

How Does One Correct for OverPronated Feet in Ballet Dancing?
By BalletdogPremium member
On Sat Oct 17, 2009 01:32 AM

I have a lady friend who's feet overpronate, and that makes it much harder for her to dance on flat. (Overpronation is when the foot rolls too much inward towards the big toe side of the foot.) She also has trouble on pointe because her legs tend to twist inward. She says she has to spend so much energy correcting for her overpronation, that it overtires her and leaves her with too little energy for doing actual ballet steps with sufficient strength.

Has anyone solved the problem of correcting for overpronation for ballet, either for flat and/or pointe work?

Thank you,

Rick

8 Replies to How Does One Correct for OverPronated Feet in Ballet Dancing?

re: How Does One Correct for OverPronated Feet in Ballet Dancing?
By RatherBDancinmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat Oct 17, 2009 12:05 PM
I pronate and I have found that thinking about putting weight on my baby toe (not to an extreme of course) has helped temendously for my pronation on flat and on demi pointe. Using both my adductors and external rotators to turn out and up (I think of turn out like a barber pole where it turns outwards and upwards) helps to centre my legs and feet so I don't pronate as much.

It is an on going battle and I understand feeling so tired from trying to fix pronation that the steps feel harder but really it just takes practice and concentration. It eventually becomes easier and I have become a stronger dancer as a result.
On Sun Oct 18, 2009 08:22 AM
Thank you for your reply RatherBDancin^. I'll pass it on to my friend.

Any responses from others?

Thanks, Rick
By d4jmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:39 PM
If she is holding her turn-out properly then the pronating will not be as pronounced. Check her first position and see that her turn-out muscles as well as her core muscles are properly engaged. That "wrapping around" sensation that you get in your upper legs and butt when properly turned-out (to one's personal capacity) should align everything right down to the floor.
By Arakmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Oct 18, 2009 04:00 PM
Strengthening the muscles of the arch helps to correct the tendency to pronate, especially if one has high arches. An easy exercise that one can practice pretty much anywhere is to put the foot flat on the floor without bearing weight and without lifting the foot from the floor, draw the ball of the foot toward the heel. Hold for a few seconds and release, repeat.
On Sun Oct 18, 2009 05:00 PM
Thank you d4j and Arak.^^ I'll pass your comments to my friend.

Other responses...

Rick
By Music_is_love13
On Sun Oct 18, 2009 07:08 PM
I pronate like crazy, and have had to see the doctor about it. If your friend's pronation is really bad, get her some orthotics *sp?*. Depending on the severity, you might have to get them custom made; pretty costly, but worth it if your feet need it. These are worn in your street shoes, and help hold your foot in place during the day. Also, a lot of my pronation was caused by really loose joints in my ankles, so have your friend work on strengthening her ankles. Best of luck!
By Alinaismyidolmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Oct 27, 2009 07:52 PM
I severely overpronate-I have orthodics (sp?) and the whole bit. While I agree that she needs to hold correct muscles and strengthen, she also needs to go to a doctor and make sure it isn't a medical problem that is affecting her overpronation. I didn't know until I went to the dr, but my ankle bones do not sit directly on top of my foot bones, which is one reason I overpronate. I was advised not to do certain things because of this-so for safety sake I would suggest going to a dr, maybe physical therapy if it is terribly bad.
By elwhair
On Fri Nov 20, 2009 07:58 AM
One of my teachers would also remind us when doing plies and such to lift up through our arches. Every time I feel my feet rolling in doing plies in 4th and 5th, I just think of pulling up my arch and it realigns your foot. Hope this helps!

ReplySendWatch