Forum: Advice / Pilates/Yoga

A couple of questions
By Crazy_Clairemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Oct 21, 2009 06:31 AM
Edited by Crazy_Claire (120567) on 2009-10-21 06:32:09

Okay, so I decided to join the local gym mainly because I heard Pilates was good for dancing and my teacher recently commented I needed better core strength. Anyhow, the gym has Yoga and/or Pilates most days, so I plan to give both a go and see which works out best. And of course, the ONE beginners Pilates Class has to be on my full day at Uni. Grr. So I'm a bit nervous about going to a mixed ability class, because I know everyone will know what they're doing and will be super good at it.

My next question is what do the following involve doing and what do they work out?;

Core Yoga
Fitness Yoga
Yoga (On its own)
Pilates Fusion

And is it a good idea to do both Yoga and Pilates? Or is it better to stick to one or the other?

Also, what kinds of things should I expect at my first classes?

Just wondering as I've never done anything like this before and will be going on my own, which is rather daunting. I also plan to do some Spin classes, Abs & Core and Power Stretch. I guess I won't be able to walk by the end of it.

Thanks.

Claire.

3 Replies to A couple of questions

re: A couple of questions
By Triskitmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Oct 22, 2009 03:32 AM
The names of the classes at your gym are specific to that gym.

Core Yoga
Fitness Yoga
Yoga (On its own)
Pilates Fusion

My guess would be Core yoga is focused on poses that work the torso (abs and back)

Fitness Yoga?? no idea what that is supposed to be

Yoga - this would be your average hatha yoga class most likely.

Pilates fusion - most likely a mat class not sure what the fusion part is...is there any description given...fusion with yoga or it may just be a creative marketing name. Something they thought sounded more exciting to get people in the door.

It's fine to do both. Expect to learn some new exercises, get some corrections and hopefully have a good experience.

If you take dance classes, you shouldn't feel to out of your league as far as class structure. It's just like taking a dance class but you're not dancing....you follow the instructor and they give you feedback and corrections.
By Crazy_Clairemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Oct 23, 2009 03:06 AM
Thanks for the reply. It didn't mention what they entailed just the main Pilates and Yoga classes, so I was a little curious as to what these other variations were.

I went to Pilates on Wednesday. I was actually scared to go but I forced myself saying if I didn't go then, I never would and it was really good. The class were more advanced, but another person told me they were a beginner too, so that made me feel a little better. The instructor said if I couldn't do anything then to just rest and sit it out. There were a few she told me not to do as I was new, but I really tried to do everything else.

I got corrected on a lot of things, mainly because anything that involves arranging legs and arms just confuses me (LOL), but I felt so relaxed and now ache all over, so I know that it had definetly given me a good work out. I'll definetly be going back. :)

I'll give the Yoga classes a try too and see how I find those.

Thanks for answering my questions. :)

Claire.
By Triskitmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat Oct 31, 2009 03:13 AM
Glad you went :) Good luck with the Yoga classes.

ReplySendWatch