Forum: Ballet / Ballet - Wanted

In need of any kind of foot stretcher. Pro-arch maybe?
By snow_pea
On Wed Oct 21, 2009 04:15 PM

Hello all, I am looking for a foot stretcher but REALLY don't feel like paying 180 dollars for a pro arch. I have tried making my own, and it did work but I am looking to have one that won't give ma any problems and won't be as hard to use. If anyone has a pro-arch that they do not use or want anymore, that where I come in =p So please, let me know. Now, it does not have to be a pro arch. I am open to hear about any kind of well made easy to use ones. I know that the fancy foot website has one but still...45 bucks for some wood and whatever it is that on top of that? Thank you! Allison

9 Replies to In need of any kind of foot stretcher. Pro-arch maybe?

re: In need of any kind of foot stretcher. Pro-arch maybe?
By RosePremium member
On Wed Oct 21, 2009 04:33 PM
Put your toes and a bit of your feet under the door (or something similar) and slowly try to straighten your knees. Same effect.
By snow_pea
On Wed Oct 21, 2009 05:06 PM
well my couch touches the ground and so do all my doors. if i were to do anything other than buy one, I would try to make on again. plus, I don't know if i would have the same results using something like a couch...
By juliane
On Wed Oct 21, 2009 06:59 PM
I really recommend not doing this because it can damage your feet!
By YumYumDoughnutPremium member
On Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:43 AM
Do you have any free standing ballet barres at the studio? I usually stick my feet under the "base" of the barre.
By Arakmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Oct 22, 2009 08:47 AM
Get a friend to stretch your feet by pressing down on them while you are sitting.
By Ballet_Bunhead14
On Tue Nov 03, 2009 09:27 AM
Sorry lidwina, Jazz_lover, and Arak, but DON'T do any of these things- they're horrible for your metatarsals. This Dance Magazine article has good tips.

findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1083/is_1_83/ai_n312022... findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1083/is_1_83/ai_n31202263/
By Sophielihui
On Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:13 PM
I don’t have the pro-arch but I use a simple arch stretcher (see pics).

Because of all the negative comments I read about pro-arch, I wasn’t considering using any feet contraptions, until I randomly mentioned my concerns to my teacher one day. To my surprise, she said that the simple version I saw is totally safe and I bought it the very next day, LOL.

Since I got it, it has worked wonders for my feet. I have seen visible improvements, and so does my teacher and classmates.

I am not sure whether these controversial devices are safe or not in general. But from my experience, I won’t trade it with anything else.
By JoeAngeLove
On Sun Nov 22, 2009 01:31 AM
pointe shoes also help with imroving your arch... you can roll over them in a forced arch to improve your arch... or try balancing using your instep which will wing your feet and make them al so prettier...
By Sumayah
On Sun Nov 22, 2009 01:56 AM
From the girl with chronic re-occurring achilles tendonitis, don't do it. I had *extremely* rigid ankles and went to all sorts of lengths to get a better foot. I regret it now. I recommend working thru dorsiflexion and plantar flexion with a Theraband, being careful not to supinate in. In my beginning pointe class we do a rep of 10 on each foot and then we do reps of pronation/supination in a plantar flexed (pointed) position - emphasis on pronation to strengthen the outer muscles on their ankle. Then we write the alphabet with each foot, working full mobility. One student that started back on her box in now on platform with her right foot and nearly there with her left. Work your feet correctly, instead of forcing the stretch, unless of course you too want achilles tendonitis.

ReplySendWatch