Popular Highland

Niagara Medals by busmum
Wondering if anyone has heard the status of the medals from the Niagara PreChampionships in April? Thanks :)

Forum: Irish / Irish - Technique & Training

Irish - Technique & Training
Questions about taping feet.. en>fr fr>en
By irishrockstar Comments: 371, member since Sat Nov 20, 2004
On Sun Oct 25, 2009 04:36 PM

My feet soooo much after dancing and working. I work at a very busy retail store, so I wear dress shoes (ballet flats, but there is some cushion to them). I mainly get the pain on my heel...its really bad when I wake up in the morning, or work/walk/dance long hours.

Where do I get tape to tape my foot? And how/where do I exactly tape? Around the arch? What is it mainly useful for? I see the champions tape their feet, but I have never asked them...now I am curious and wondering if this would help me with my heel pain while dancing?

5 Replies to Questions about taping feet..

re: Questions about taping feet.. en>fr fr>en
By seannettaPremium member Comments: 2132, member since Fri Jul 28, 2006
On Sun Oct 25, 2009 05:26 PM
Taping your feet can be useful for certain injuries. But it depends on the injury and the part of the foot that is affected. It is used to help better alignment, relieve pressure from certain areas...that sort of thing.

But the thing about taping is that you have to know what your injury is to know where and how you should tape your foot, or if you should even tape your foot at all.

Because it's really important that you do it correctly, and not do it at all if it's not necessary, you should see a doctor or a physical therapist to get a proper diagnosis and get them to show you how to tape your feet. It's hard to tell whether your heel pain is a specific condition or simple overuse or just tiredness or...The list of possibilities is endless. But if you tape your feet for something that your feet are not actually dealing with, then you could be causing more harm than good. Do at least one session with a PT and you'll be armed with the right information to learn how to treat yourself after that.
By celticladymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 691, member since Mon Apr 19, 2004
On Sun Oct 25, 2009 08:15 PM
Edited by celticlady (91023) on 2009-10-25 20:17:32 Because I underestimate my ability to make typos.
I'm in athletic training right now and there are a myriad of ways to tape your arch as each method addresses a different arch/foot problem. Based on your pain it sounds like you could possibly have plantar faciitis as the plantar fascia originates on the heel and inserts at the toes.Does the pain mainly happen at night/early morning and then subside or is it chronic? Is it relegated just to the heel or is it more widespread? These would have to be determined and diagnosed before taping.

I would first get to the root of the issue because taping won't always be the magic bullet. Stretching the calves and feet is very beneficial as well as wearing night splints to keep the foot in a dorsiflexed position can provide relief as well as wearing good arch supports to support the fascia.
By Reelnut Comments: 310, member since Mon May 11, 2009
On Fri Nov 27, 2009 07:34 AM
I'm wondering what kind of dance shoes you are wearing. My daughter kept getting heel pain, especially after dancing in light shoes. Since changing to Hullachans which have padding in the ball of the foot and heel she no longer suffers from this.
By Snuffymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3386, member since Wed Jan 02, 2008
On Fri Nov 27, 2009 07:16 PM
I work in retail (have been doing so for years now, and have in the past worked full-time in a shop). My store has a hard stone floor. I used to work with a woman who was pretty serious about ballet (she is actually training to become a ballet teacher), and she always said that when it comes to being on your feet all day in retail "you have to look after your feeties".

First and foremost, you have to wear sensible shoes. No matter what you do to look after your feet during dance, if you're on your feet all day in inappropriate footware, you're going to have problems. I understand that you need to look good (I work in fashion retail), but ballet flats are just not sensible shoes. Whilst I'm sure that sports shoes are probably totally out of the question, it is possible to get *nice* shoes that are also supportive.

Taping is done in specific ways for specific injuries, and you absolutely have to have this diagnosed by a physio (or a podiatrist) in order to treat it. If taping is the way to go, they'll show you exactly how to do it for your feet.

Go and make an appointment with a physio or a podiatrist. They'll be able to help you not just with making sure that your feeties are protected during dance, but that your feeties are protected all day long while you're at work. :)
By rincedragonflymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 4495, member since Sun Mar 20, 2005
On Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:22 PM
Do you wear arch supports? I picked some up at the grocery store for less than ten bucks...they have a stiff part to the arch to help support your arch, plus a squishy part under the heel and ball of the foot. Wearing those in my regular shoes all day completely took away the heel pain and arch pain.

There are other supports you can wear in dance shoes, but I have never tried it. I learned a way of taping from my physical therapist, that looks completely bizarre, but works as arch support.

ReplySendWatch