Forum: Advice / Cars & Driving

Looking for new car
By shannon13
On Fri Oct 30, 2009 09:05 PM

As I am driving to work yesterday I though a helicopter was directly above me car. I then realized that there was no helicopter and the noise was my car. Well I had it towed to a mechanic and I need to get a new car.
I am clueless about cars so any good ones I should look at? I can spend about $400 a month on car payments and would like my loan to be 48 months or so.

I like sport utilities but do not have my heart set on one. I like the Hyundai Tuscan but don't know much about it.

Any cars I should look at?

5 Replies to Looking for new car

re: Looking for new car
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat Oct 31, 2009 08:36 AM
I like my moms Pacifica alot. My MIL has a Accent, which isn't an SUV but I like that one alot too. My cousin drives a Civic, which runs like a top. I have a Sunfire, and mines run like a champ for forever, although I fear we're nearing some trouble. :(
By Munkensteinmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:43 AM
I never recommend SUVs or sports cars to people...unless you have a really valid reason to need one. That'd come more with the SUV than the sports car, heh. The fuel bill that my friends/family with vehicles like those pay...INSANE. I remember thinking, "What's the big deal about a gas station not being able to charge more than $75 to a credit card?" Then I learned that some people ACTUALLY pay that much for gas in one go! NUTS.

That said, I have a Honda Civic, as does my boyfriend. They're great and can hold a surprising amount of stuff, as the back seat folds down. Love them and that's always my recommendation, heh.
By Staceymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat Oct 31, 2009 05:19 PM
I have had a pontiac, I bought it as-is for $600, it was a 1995. It worked fine, got me back and forth to college for a few years.

In May I purchased a 2009 Honda Civic. I love it. I bought the Sport model, I really wanted 60/40 folding seats and not the full fold that the dx-g offered. If I eventually have a baby seat there I still want to be able to fold one half if I have something large for my trunk. Plus the other benefits of the Sport were awesome.

My mom has a toyota camry, which is pretty good. It was bought used but she totally loves it.
By Reidfidleirmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:04 PM
Do you want automatic tranny or standard?
What climate do you live in?
DO you need 4WD?

IF you're doing Santa Fe vs. Tucson, do your research. Santa Fe is rated better. I have a very good friend who drives one, and it still runs very well (it's 6 years old now).

Personally, I would never go with a Hyundai or Kia. (even though Hyundai is doing much better than in the past with it's quality)
By Leahmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun Nov 01, 2009 01:14 PM
I also vouch for the Civic, or any Honda for that matter. I have a 2005 Civic and I absolutely adore it. My dad also has a Civic, they are so great on gas and very very reliable. My mom and sister in law both have CR-Vs and they are surprisingly good with gas, too. Other than Honda, I'd also recommend Toyota or Acura (same company as Honda)...good stuff!

ReplySendWatch