Forum: Arts / Debates

Page:
Page 1 of 2: 1 2
How early is too early for Christmas?
By balletgurl03member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun Nov 01, 2009 07:03 AM

I was flipping through ads in the newspaper today, and it was already Christmas at Target and Walmart. Many chain stores you can go to, lights and Christmas trees are put up. A week before Halloween, Christmas decorations pushed Halloween decorations onto the sale racks, making it hard to shop for the items you needed in the upcoming holiday.

Stores make the claim that in the economic downturn, people want to start shopping early, and that there's already a demand for Christmas items.

Do you think this is a smart move for businesses? Or does it make shoppers turn away?

Is it too early for Christmas?

41 Replies to How early is too early for Christmas?

re: How early is too early for Christmas?
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Nov 01, 2009 07:47 AM
Anytime before Thanksgiving is too early...of course that only works in the US. But on black Friday it's okay with me to have Christmas stuff.

Business wise is it good? Yes. It gets people panicking and thinking they have to start their Christmas shopping.
By CrayolaPremium member
On Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:23 AM
Considering I went out at 7:30am yesterday morning to buy my tree at 50% off, I don't think it's too early. The Christmas shopping season is crazy enough as it is; the more shopping people can get done earlier, the better for everyone.
By MJeanette
On Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:02 PM
Buying Christmas presents: You could do that any time of year, it doesn't really matter.

Decoratiing your house: Before Thanksgiving is definitely too early. The week or two after Thanksgiving is borderline; some decorations are okay, but if you like to do all your decorating at once, it's too early. When it comes to a Christmas tree, mid-December is about right.

Store displays: About Thanksgiving time is okay, but a little after is better.

Just my personal opinion, of course. I can understand why, from a store's point of veiw, the earlier the better, and I can understand why a lot of people would want to start decorating earlier. But I'm not one of those people. :)
re: How early is too early for Christmas? (karma: 1)
By Munkensteinmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Nov 01, 2009 04:07 PM
I want Christmas to stay the heck in December. To me it's an overall annoying holiday...just ugh. I will buy people presents whenever I want, not because I'm pressured to for a ridiculous holiday. I can be thankful for things without Thanksgiving, love people without Valentine's Day, etc.

I just don't get into most holidays, except Halloween, anyway, haha. Christmas just annoys me especially because it takes over about a quarter of the calendar and I really don't think that shopping and decorating trees (all of the aspects that are foisted onto people by retail shops and such) should be that big of a deal.

End Scrooge impersonation.
By CaffeinePremium member
On Sun Nov 01, 2009 09:17 PM
Edited by haematite_raqs (183827) on 2009-11-01 21:18:28
September is too early.
October is too early.
Mid November is OK. (early November is pushing it)

December 27 for Easter stuff is too early.

And they wonder why people get so humbuggy about holidays. Bah.
By kandykanePremium member
On Sun Nov 01, 2009 09:23 PM
Edited by kandykane (157761) on 2009-11-01 21:41:16
I like to put my tree up over the Thanksgiving holidays. If I wait, I can never find the time. Things just get too busy. Last year, I didn't put it up until a week before Christmas because we were gone over Thanksgiving. I wished I had put it up before we left so I could have come home and it would have been already done. But, I never got to it.

Anyway, I say Thanksgiving is early enough.

kk~
By Kekoamember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:01 PM
We have a fake tree, so the decorations and tree go up the day after Thanksgiving, and come down January 2nd.

I think it's too early, but I don't really care. Christmas decorations in November don't annoy me or anything.
By d4jmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:21 AM
I only have one problem with early Christmas and that is the endless looping of Christmas music that goes on for interminable weeks in the stores. I once loved Christmas carols, but not so much any more. Otherwise, I don't mind the early putting up of trees and decorations, it's all very pretty and winter-y to me.

:)
By KayEllePremium member
On Mon Nov 02, 2009 01:27 AM
I work with orientation at my university and one of the events we do for new residents is a sandwich drive - we make thousands of peanut butter and jam sandwiches and then head downtown to hand them out to people in need. Obviously this requires a lot (A LOT) of peanut butter and jam, so I went shopping at Costco. This was in August. They already had Christmas stuff around. RIDICULOUS.
On Mon Nov 02, 2009 07:55 AM
Agree so much on the Christmas music thing...it just goes on and on, over and over. Definitely drives some of us out of stores.
By DancingDiva736member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Nov 02, 2009 08:03 AM
I love Christmas, I love the colors, the decorations, the music...everything. I'm actually a little upset that our local radio station didn't start playing 100% Christmas music on november 1st like it always does. I went shopping yesterday and while at the home improvement store I spent most of my time in the section of Christmas decorations.

My husband and I put our tree up usually the night of Thanksgiving, when we get home from all of the festivities with our family. We decorate the outside of the house right around the same time. We have a countdown to Christmas snowman that goes in the front yard and I like to make sure he is up before it is 25 days until Christmas.

I suppose I'm just a big kid at heart, I just always feel good at Christmas time.
By EStarmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Nov 02, 2009 08:10 AM
I love love LOVE Christmas.
But that said, it should stay in December.
The most I'll do is start listening to Christmas music on or the day after Thanksgiving, but I do hate seeing all these Christmas decorations and ads up already, that's just ridiculous.

Munkenstein-- completely agree about the Christmas music graph.
By rr_lover
On Mon Nov 02, 2009 09:01 AM
I do think August, September, October, and even November is to early to start setting up for Christmas.

What we usually do is the day after Thanksgiving my dad will start decorating outside, and then a week or two after my mom starts putting up all her decorations. We really go all out inside, my mom has TONS of decorations and she goes nuts, it's really pretty :).
By Heartmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Nov 02, 2009 06:26 PM
ONE HOLIDAY AT A TIME. We just got down with Halloween. Next comes Thanksgiving. THEN comes Christmas.

I saw Christmas decorations when I was shopping for my Halloween costume. WTH??? No! Not right!
By VelvetRagamuffinmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Nov 02, 2009 08:29 PM
PLEASE explain to me how it inconveniences any of you if someone puts up Christmas decorations early. I can't fathom this. Why does it bother you so much and why is your life so awesome that that's all you have to worry about? If someone wants to put up Christmas decorations early, that's their prerogative. If a store wants to set out stuff for Christmas in July, that's great. Just because it's there doesn't mean it will affect you in any way. You don't have to buy all of your Christmas gifts or put up your tree yet just because the Jones' down the street are.
By Irish_Bubbles
On Tue Nov 03, 2009 01:19 AM
Edited by Irish_Bubbles (108941) on 2009-11-03 01:20:22
^I don't personally notice it as much when it's a private residence, but I find it a bit taxing out in public when I'm not in the Christmas mindset. I think that for me, it's because when the decorations are staring me in the face at a store it seems like one more thing to have to think about--and considering I haven't even properly thought about what I'm going to do next week, a holiday that is still nearly two months away isn't even on the register yet. I don't know if I'd call it full-blown distressing, but Christmas decorations before mid-November always seem to throw me for a loop.
On Tue Nov 03, 2009 07:36 AM
If a store wants to set out stuff for Christmas in July, that's great. Just because it's there doesn't mean it will affect you in any way.

It most certainly does when you're looking for something in particular during July or October or whenever but it's been moved because of all the Christmas crap. If I'm trying to buy Halloween decorations multiple times from one store, it's a pain to go back a second time and find that there is now Christmas stuff where the Halloween stuff was...and the Halloween stuff is shoved into some corner even though the holiday hadn't even happened yet. And it's all of the BS Christmas crap, the material possessions, the commercial aspects, all of that gets pushed onto everybody so early. If people were really that excited over things besides decorations and presents, it might be a little different in the eyes of some. ;)

Not everybody is into Christmas or celebrates it at all...it gets kind of old after awhile when Christmas takes over so much of the calendar and so much space in stores and shops. It's just like everything screams, "Shop, buy presents, and if you don't, you're a horrible person! Find the 'perfect gift' for everybody and you suck if you don't!!!!" You can only block it out so much, short of staying inside and never turning on the TV or radio, haha. So if people don't like it, might as well voice it to avoid going insane, heh.

That's my anti-holiday rant of the day, I guess. Christmas is just the biggest pain out of all the holidays I experience.
By kandykanePremium member
On Tue Nov 03, 2009 02:23 PM
^ You know, I guess my biggest beef about Christmas is that it takes so much WORK!

I've always been the one responsible for the shopping, the wrapping, the decorating, the cooking, etc. Putting up decorations is not just putting up the tree and the nativity. I have to clean a spot to put the tree and find a place for what I've moved. The boxes get broght down from the attic, unpacked, sorted through, decorations chosen and put up. Lights have to be hung on the house, usually an all day chore. All the boxes have to go back up in the attic.

I have to make lists for shopping, gifts and groceries. There's wrapping presents, hoping I didn't forget someone. Cleaning up after the wrapping. That's never a one time thing, either. Making sure I have plenty of tape. Menu planning, the actual cooking and cleaning up from the cooking and eating.

The cards. Sending out cards is an all day chore. Again, hoping I didn't forget someone. Buying extra postage for cards and mailing gifts. Braving the post office!! *shudder*

After Christmas, it's all done in reverse. Everything has to be cleaned up and a home found for all the new stuff. Old stuff has to be purged so the house doesn't burp from being so full.

It's not even Thanksgiving and I'm tired already.

So yeah, when I've heard my favorite carols butchered repeatedly and been pushed around in stores for weeks, stuck in traffic, when my estranged husband gave me a glass Victory lines bus from a garage sale (originally from some sales promotion), maybe I wasn't just overflowing with Christmas cheer.

kk~
By Heartmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Nov 03, 2009 03:17 PM
PLEASE explain to me how it inconveniences any of you if someone puts up Christmas decorations early. I can't fathom this. Why does it bother you so much and why is your life so awesome that that's all you have to worry about? If someone wants to put up Christmas decorations early, that's their prerogative. If a store wants to set out stuff for Christmas in July, that's great. Just because it's there doesn't mean it will affect you in any way.

Because it's annoying. You know, that feeling you get when something annoys you? Yeah. And we're humans, and as such, we reserve the right to whine about things that annoy us. And I don't know what rock you're living under, but it's completely unavoidable where I live.
By hylndlasmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:17 AM
I had read somewhere....and I can't remember where I heard or read this....is that part of the reason Christmas decorations are being set out earlier is so that people can get and send Christmas stuff off to the troops in time for the holidays.

Not sure if that is true or not but....

Anyhow...I find it annoying that it's out as early as it is.....I was out and about and started to see it mid Oct. :? I like Christmas as well.....but come on!
By pokomember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Nov 04, 2009 05:58 AM
The rule in my family is not til November 21. My birthday is November 20, and I take priority ;)

I love Christmas, and I love how it is early. Why? Because means I can go out, get all my christmas shopping done, christmas wrap, cards, and all of that...and not have to worry about being stuck in the crowds in the middle of December.

And in Australia...we don't really do Halloween or Thanksgiving...unless you count Melbourne Cup Day!
On Wed Nov 04, 2009 09:22 AM
The rule in my family is not til November 21. My birthday is November 20, and I take priority.

Hahaha, I tried that but it didn't work...stupid Christmas Eve birthday. *shakes fist* :P
By Angelinamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Nov 06, 2009 02:52 PM
PLEASE explain to me how it inconveniences any of you if someone puts up Christmas decorations early.

You want an example? Ok. On Tuesday this week, London's Christmas lights were turned on. Oxford Circus station was closed because it was just too busy to keep it open. I don't give a crap about Christmas lights at this time of year and yet, I had to pick a different station to walk to (the one I chose in the end was closed because of overcrowding because Oxford Circus was closed) wait about 15 minutes to be let into the station, get caught in a massive crush IN the station, then take 3 trains home. I then missed my ballet class because it took me too long to get home. Really. It sucked.

However, having said that, I work for a major fashion retailer in the UK, and we're praying for sales to start lifting soon otherwise we're going to be in really bad shape. Go buy some Christmas stuff!
By ActingBunheadmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:00 PM
I think after Thanksgiving for all the big stores to start decorating and putting Christmas merchandise out is a good time. (Or if you don't live in America, the last week of November.) on a personal basis, however, it doesn't matter to me WHEN people start decorating their houses, sending Christmas cards, or listening to Christmas music.

I LOVE Christmas, and I'm already listening to Christmas music and thinking about gifts. I agree with what Poko said above. By all the Christmas stuff being out early, I can get my shopping and preparations done early as well. This way, when it's the week before Christmas and everyone is panicking to buy gifts and decorate and prepare meals, I already have everything set and I can just enjoy the festivities.

I think a lot of people just get too wrapped up in everything that represents Christmas, and not the actual meaning of Christmas. yeah, yeah, I know that sounds cliche, but really, it's supposed to be a happy time with family and friends! None of my friends exchanged gifts last year, and none of us cared or were offended. I don't give gifts to EVERY SINGLE family member, because that's just too much. And if I don't receive a Christmas letter from someone I hardly ever see anyways, I really don't care. Christmas isn't about all that stuff to me.

Now, if something happens like what happened to Angelina because of the Christmas craze, yeah, I would totally be pissed off! But that kinda goes back to my point that people are so incredibly absorbed with the material presents and lights and decorations. I mean, a station being closed because some Christmas lights were turned on, that are going to be on for two whole months?? That's insane.

As for the Christmas music, I agree, some of that stuff out there SUCKS. I stick to the classics: Nat King Cole, Perry Como, Dean Martin, Frank Sinatra, Peter Paul and Mary, and the Holly and the Ivy. I don't even bother turning on the radio.
Page:
Page 1 of 2: 1 2

ReplySendWatch