Forum: Arts / Debates

Page:
Page 2 of 2: 1 2
re: How early is too early for Christmas?
By RileyA
On Sat Nov 07, 2009 09:07 PM
I don't see any problem with the shops filling themselves with Christmas decorations before Christmas. I like to be organized early and get my shopping done when I can because I have limited time. We don't have Halloween or thanks giving so there are no other holidays to be over shadowed by Christmas.

Most families here put up their decorations and Christmas tree's on December 1st but families who compete in the house christmas lights competitions must be well under way in early November to be ready for the competition judging.
By Katemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Nov 08, 2009 09:01 AM
OFF TOPIC MAJORLY:

Angelina:
Huh? What? London lights? This Tuesday? That SOOO sucks. I was in London the Tuesday before and we were cursing the fact that we were too early to see the lights. I can't believe I missed it by a week. All that disrupted me was the stupid premiere of that stupid Michael Jackson film thing which looks crap anyway in Leicester Square. Booooo.
By Orangesmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Nov 08, 2009 09:23 AM
I know from my stores stand point, we decorate early (as in our last store change before Christmas was November 1st) because we get too busy to do it any closer to Christmas. (Our overnight hours are left for engraving, not to decorate the store.) I'm used to it now since I work in retail, it doesn't bother me. I just ignore it. The decorations and Christmas stuff isn't what bothers me, it's the awful Christmas music my store plays. Someone put it in yesterday and I'm ready to take it out already. It is all slow and bad versions of the songs. I can't wait till we get the next CD installment in the mail already. Everyone but one manager at my store agrees we should have left it out for another 2 weeks.
By novicedancer1991member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun Nov 08, 2009 02:38 PM
At their homes, people can decorate whenever it seems right to them. So for the people who like having Christmas decorations up as soon as the Halloween decorations come down, it would be nice to have stores carrying Christmas decorations avaible as early as possible. I'm the kind of person who thinks it ruins the Christmas-y feeling to have the house all decorated and Christmas music playing too far in advance, but I don't have a problem with stores carrying Christmas products in October and November.
By Naivohwmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Nov 08, 2009 03:58 PM
I hate when the Christmas decorations start coming out in early October in stores. I think the day after Thanksgiving (Black Friday :P ) would be a good time to break out the Christmas stuff in stores. That's still a month until Christmas then! The little coffee shop next to where I work has Christmas stuff up alrady, and I was teasing the owner about it. They could have left all the fall decorations up at least another month. As far as personal decorations go, I usually only decorate a week to a week and a half before Christmas. However, at the fabric store where I work, we start stocking Christmas fabric in August/September. But that makes sense to me, since it takes several months to make a quilt, and if you want a Christmas quilt *at* Christmas you've got to start working on it in Aug/Sept/Oct. That's one of the only situations where I get bringing out the Christmas stuff way ahead of time.
By smileywomanmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Nov 08, 2009 04:20 PM
My understanding that 3 months in advance isn't unheard of from a marketing standpoint. Personally, seeing Christmas stuff around Halloween does seem to be a bit premature. I think pretty much after Halloween it's a given that Christmas stuff will be up.
By ActingBunheadmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:58 PM
Someone I babysit for pointed out that Christmas is just so marketable. Thanksgiving? Not much you can buy for that except for a few decorations and food. Nobody buys gifts for Thanksgiving, and people rarely go all-out with decorations, but for Christmas? There's indoor decorations, outdoor decorations, gifts, Christmas trees, lights, Christmas dishes, Christmas cards, special cookies, candies, and treats. Christmas is a HUGE money-maker for stores. So why wouldn't they want to get that stuff out there ASAP?
By Piano_on_Pointemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:23 AM
I don't like thinking of Christmas until Thanksgiving is over because then Christmas sort of bombards Thanksgiving. The holidays are too close together in my opinion. They're two of the most major holidays in the U.S. alongside Easter & 4th of July.

Today's the day to start preparing for Christmas, in my opinion. Buy some discounted gifts, I brought out the tree, ornaments, and decorations.
By aerial
On Fri Nov 27, 2009 01:46 PM
I worked as the office manager at a mall. We put up the decorations and starting playing christmas music the day after halloween, It took everything I had to not kill myself. To this day I hate the holidays. BA-HUM-BUG!
By DramaQueenukPremium member
On Fri Nov 27, 2009 04:30 PM
My sons birthday is the 18th dec so we don't start christmas until after that. However some have outdoor lights on from Sept, madness!
By c58sgreat
On Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:08 PM
I'm in Canada so I think marketing for Christmas should start after Halloween (no Thanksgiving interference)... but most people don't really start Christmas shopping until the beginning of December anyways. Ah, the wonderful gift of procrastination.
By dancin_til_death
On Fri Dec 11, 2009 08:22 PM
Speaking as someone who has worked in retail its not just YOU it saves time for, its us. Retail during Christmas is absoltuely insane, have a look at the malls, they're already starting to get packed with people trying to find that perfect gift, being generally annoying. You the poor minimum wage shop assistat is trying to follow their demands, keep stock on the shelves, keep the store clean after customers have destroyed your neat piles and make sales.

You may not know this, but decorating is hard work. Things must hang from the ceilings and line the walls. The place I just to work at took about a week, in which we stayed late. Then on top of that you had a complete turnover of stock, had to have all the sales signs out. Not only that but there is no magic time between boxing day and Christmas, so all the after Chrissie sales preparation must be done before Christmas. Its a very busy time and I'm just thankful I've never had to be a manager of a store.

Its not a fun time of year for retail, every decoration that has been put up early, is the decision of a very very wise manager, trying to make Christmas craziness managable.

If this annoys you... stay out of the malls, its that easy.

Though I 100% agree about the stupid Christmas music, its the absolute worst when you've got a 10 hour shift. When I was in charge I used to change it to my ipod :P
By CaffeinePremium member
On Sat Dec 12, 2009 05:15 AM
dancin_til_death wrote:

Though I 100% agree about the stupid Christmas music, its the absolute worst when you've got a 10 hour shift. When I was in charge I used to change it to my ipod :P

When I worked in retail, the store had a really awful sound system, and the music was never configured right. At Christmas, in particular, one department would get the vocals, one department the cheesy music, and my department got the terrible "ching-ching-ching" bells that always accompany said music. (The rest of the year we got beats :D) To this day - and it's been nearly fifteen years since I worked retail - those bell sounds make me want to rip my ears off. Ugh.

I hear you about the post-Christmas sale stuff being done on Christmas eve. I was late to a few functions those nights, having stayed back to get signage done and decorations down.
By tinydancer8234
On Fri Dec 18, 2009 02:31 PM
I think it's never too early for Christmas anytime after Halloween! It's my favorite holiday of the year and I love the Xmas spirit!!
By CaitDestinymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat Dec 19, 2009 06:44 PM
I agree that Black Friday is the best time to start with the Christmas stuff. It's not too early, and it's not too close to Christmas time anyways. Plus, so many people wait until 10 days before Christmas to do their shopping anyways.
By stormshadow
On Mon Dec 21, 2009 01:27 AM
It really gets on my nerves when I go to the Halloween section of a store every year looking for cool stuff that I might want to get for either a costume or decorations and then the next thing I hear over in the other aisle is "Hark The Herald Angels Sing". I like Christmas as much as the next person, but it's seriously gone way too far. I'd like to get Halloween and Thanksgiving out of the way first before we start thinking about Christmas, even though I know that is never going to happen because Thanksgiving's kinda turned into the dress rehearsal for Christmas now. If anyone's heard of Lewis Black, he does a fantastic bit on the subject.

WARNING: DO NOT CLICK IF YOU'RE EASILY OFFENDED BY STRONG LANGUAGE

www.youtube.com . . .
By season
On Wed Dec 23, 2009 06:33 PM
Stores setting up too early for christmas is a big pet peeve of mine. I hate it when its like october and they have the trees out..
Stores and things should get ready for christmas in early december.(:
Page:
Page 2 of 2: 1 2

ReplySendWatch