Priority Dresses & Costumes

Forum: Music

Teachers - Music
6 year old Boys Jazz/Hip Hop Songs en>fr fr>en
By Ladybug729 Comments: 7, member since Sun Nov 01, 2009
On Sun Nov 01, 2009 01:17 PM

I teach 5 six-year old boys and am looking for a song to use in the recital. Last year, we did the new version of Witch Doctor by Alvin and the Chipmunks. I'm looking for something with the same hip hop beat. Do you have any age-appropriate suggestions?

Also, we've already done chasses, pivot turns, jazz squares, and I would like some more step ideas. I'm thinking of coffee grinders. Do you have any other ideas?

Thanks!

9 Replies to 6 year old Boys Jazz/Hip Hop Songs

re: 6 year old Boys Jazz/Hip Hop Songs en>fr fr>en
By faerydust00Premium member Comments: 1262, member since Wed Apr 18, 2007
On Sun Nov 01, 2009 04:58 PM
When I co-taught a boys class a few years ago some of the songs they used were: Who Let the Dogs Out, a techno version of the LSU fight song, No Monsters by Carmen, and a song about cartoon characters by Chris Rice. Some were jazz and some were tap, but all could be used as either.
By GetRhythmmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 4672, member since Mon Jun 20, 2005
On Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:36 AM
Step touch (side to side)
Step together step touch
Tuck jumps
Bouncing (legs in 2nd position plie, bouncing from side to side)
Lindy
Freezes (depending on how quickly they pick things up)
Walks (all different kinds! Tough walks, pimp walks, camel walks, etc.)
Kick step touch (Kick R forward, put it down in parallel, stick L out to side — you do the step in parallel and the leg out to the side as more of a hop)

As for songs, what about something by the Baha Men? "Put the Lime in the Coconut," "It's a Small World," "Crocodile Rock," "Move it Like This." Or maybe something from a "boyish" Disney movie like Cars or Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles?
By J1ll Comments: 2344, member since Wed Oct 14, 2009
On Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:50 AM
Step dig, lindy's, popcorn, pas de bourre but with high knee steps, step ballchange.
For song ideas I haven't heard any of the new songs from Toy story 3 but that may have some ideas. I know the kids are really into it! Also maybe Cmon ride that train, Jonas Brothers may have something if you want to keep it current.
By Dancebear8504 Comments: 255, member since Fri Jul 07, 2006
On Tue Nov 03, 2009 07:47 AM
For recital, is there a theme you need to stick to? For this age range - with boys in my HH class, I have used: Parents Just Don't Understand, Miami and this year I'm using Black Suits Comin' (see a theme? all by will Smith). They've all come out well.. if there is a theme, let me know and I will try to help even more!
By bremner Comments: 6, member since Tue Nov 03, 2009
On Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:02 AM
what about "soul man" or "men in black" there is also "put your hands up in the air" or how about a mix of "old school songs like "ice ice baby, can't touch this" and so on? Keep it clean by doing big arms and changing of lines, slides, bounces, floor stuff...
On Tue Nov 03, 2009 06:19 PM
There are some great ideas here! Thank you so much!! The recital doesn't have a theme, so I am free to do whatever I want. We've done lindys and tuck jumps. We're learning coffee grinders and step turn step touch (which seems to be very challenging).

Any other ideas are welcome! Thanks again!
By pinktights27 Comments: 409, member since Thu Mar 01, 2007
On Tue Nov 03, 2009 06:33 PM
I always like to do grapevines with the little ones, mine always seemed to like those (we would usually make it all the way to learning the electric slide by the end of the year!)

What about Space Jam? A little old, maybe need to be a hair slower, but we did it at one of the studios I was at and it was super cute and a hit.

Good luck!
By jojospins Comments: 114, member since Wed Nov 04, 2009
On Wed Nov 04, 2009 03:51 AM
Chris Brown - head of my class
theme song to a cartoon this age group likes? There is some really great music on those kiddo channels!
maybe overdone this year but maybe something Michael Jackson
On Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:49 AM
These ideas are awesome! Any others? Also, any recommendations for keeping things interesting? Any games you recommend playing?

ReplySendWatch