Forum: Highland / Highland

Page:
Page 1 of 2: 1 2
Christmas Music to dance highland to
By highlandmum67
On Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:43 AM

Looking for suggestions of Christmas songs/carols (please feel free to suggest cd's or artists) that could be danced to with highland steps. DDs have been asked to do a Christmas show but it must be christmas music and we are unsure of what dances/steps that are already known that would match to the music. we are under some time restraints so choreographing something is not really possible. we figure someone has done something out there and would like to share.
thanks.

28 Replies to Christmas Music to dance highland to

re: Christmas Music to dance highland to
By Highlanddancer13
On Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:11 AM
you can to the fling to I wish you a merry christmas. Thats what we did last year at our christmas performance
By saor_celticmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:12 AM
Jingle bell rock & Rockin' ARound the Christmas Tree
should work for the fling

Greensleeves/what child is this - Bluebonnets

I'm trying to remember what song we do the laddie to at christmas and I'm drawing a blank. If I remember i'll come back.
By LissaJademember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:16 AM
Edited by LissaJade (202493) on 2009-11-03 11:18:43
One year at our Christmas concert we danced the Blue Bonnets to O Come All Ye Faithful(Adeste Fideles) and we usually do the Fling to We Wish you a Merry Christmas.
By Highlanddancer13
On Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:17 AM
It also depends on how fast/slow you want the dancers to dance it, like if the children are small you could probably go with a slower song for the dance where as if the children are older the music can be faster.
By highlandmum67
On Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:32 AM
thanks so much for all your suggestions! I knew you guys would have some ideas. keep them coming if you have more! my girls are 12 and 15 and in intermediate/premier so they could do just about anything. If you have a particular version/artist of a song that worked let me know as well. we have tried some of the christmas cd's at home but some songs are WAY too fast and others are painfully slow!
By CompactDiscomember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:38 PM
Family Force 5's Christmas Pageant was designed to be a dance album, and its a Christmas CD! I think it was the ST that worked to their Carol of the Bells... I dont remember... but they're all pretty good for dance music.
By emmyport
On Tue Nov 03, 2009 01:40 PM
Highlanddancer13 wrote:

you can to the fling to I wish you a merry christmas. Thats what we did last year at our christmas performance

I'm really curious how you pulled this off as the fling is in duple meter and that particular carol is in triple meter! :O Actually, so are Greensleeves and Carol of the Bells. Are y'all just dropping/adding a beat somewhere, or what?

~ Emily
By Jenn_K
On Tue Nov 03, 2009 02:00 PM
My daughter has done the Sword to "Jingle Bell Rock" and "Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree". I'll try to come up with some more ideas.
By highlanddncr
On Tue Nov 03, 2009 07:25 PM
Joy to the World- Blue Bonnets (have to slightly adjust for timing but very doable)

Ding Dong Merrily on High- Flora

God Rest ye Merry Gentlemen- fling

Of course, a lot of tunes depend on who is playing them. The traditional band I dance with will adjust the tunes slightly for me and I adjust my dancing slightly:)
By tightshed
On Tue Nov 03, 2009 08:47 PM
rudolph the red nosed reindeer fits beautifully to the fling.
By ScottishMamimember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Nov 03, 2009 08:56 PM
we do the fling to Winter Wonderland, it's fast, but fun, perfect bouncy beat.
By Ceilidh_DancePremium member
On Wed Nov 04, 2009 01:59 PM
Boney M's Mary's Boy Child is great for the fling. We've danced it at a Christmas performance before.
By puddelilly
On Wed Nov 04, 2009 02:30 PM
emmyport wrote:

Highlanddancer13 wrote:

I'm really curious how you pulled this off as the fling is in duple meter and that particular carol is in triple meter! :O Actually, so are Greensleeves and Carol of the Bells. Are y'all just dropping/adding a beat somewhere, or what?

~ Emily

I'm not the one that danced to this, but in my mind I'm hearing it played quickly so that we WISH you a merry CHRISTmas we WISH you a merry CHRISTmas, the uppercase beats would be your beats... alternatively, it could be played excruciatingly slow and you could dance a lilt.
By kaytbones
On Wed Nov 04, 2009 04:08 PM
Our school is doing a Christmas performance and the teacher has put together a choreography to "Christmas in Killarney - the Irish Rovers" for the whole school to dance to.
By emmyport
On Wed Nov 04, 2009 04:47 PM
Highlanddancer13 wrote:

I'm not the one that danced to this, but in my mind I'm hearing it played quickly so that we WISH you a merry CHRISTmas we WISH you a merry CHRISTmas, the uppercase beats would be your beats... alternatively, it could be played excruciatingly slow and you could dance a lilt.

I'm just not getting it. It's sung:

We (3, upbeat)
Wish(1) You a (2 &) Merry (3 &)
Christ(1)mas(2) we(3)
Christ(1)mas(2) we(3)
Christ(1)mas(2) and a (3&)
Ha(1)ppy(2) New(3)
Year(1) [rest](2) etc.

Of course, you would never conduct the half beats, I just added that in to make it more clear, hopefully.

So, again...how can you dance a clearly 4-count movement, such as shedding, when you only have 3 beats to work with? The Lilt is the only dance that is done to triple meter, so that makes sense, but the others... :?
By LingScot
On Wed Nov 04, 2009 05:15 PM
The London Brass has a nice version of "Sleigh Ride" that also works for the fling!
By puddelilly
On Wed Nov 04, 2009 05:40 PM
Think of it in really fast bars. One foot movement per BAR. Again, it would require it to be played very fast. (We wish you a merry Christmas would take up 2 bars of music)
We(&) wish(1) you a merry Christ(2)mas (I think it would be hornpipe timing but I'm really bad at timing. Really I'm just hearing the pulsating beat from the bar. One beat per bar, so shedding on the right side would take 4 bars of music) All your (1)s would be the only beat. Sing it really fast. :)

emmyport wrote:

Highlanddancer13 wrote:

I'm just not getting it. It's sung:

We (3, upbeat)
Christ(1)mas(2) we(3)
Christ(1)mas(2) we(3)
Christ(1)mas(2) and a (3&)
Ha(1)ppy(2) New(3)
Year(1) [rest](2) etc.

Of course, you would never conduct the half beats, I just added that in to make it more clear, hopefully.

So, again...how can you dance a clearly 4-count movement, such as shedding, when you only have 3 beats to work with? The Lilt is the only dance that is done to triple meter, so that makes sense, but the others... :?
By puddelilly
On Wed Nov 04, 2009 06:32 PM
I like my Night Heron Consort Celtic Celebration cd. It has some good reel tunes and some good slow tunes. The Away in a Manger on it is the perfect speed for the lilt - although there are some interludes in it, so you would have to choreograph around them. Altogether though, it's one of my favorite celtic christmas albums and I use it for my rec classes after thanksgiving and through the holidays.
By Stepscot
On Wed Nov 04, 2009 07:13 PM
my daughter, Meg, has done the Tribute to J.L. MacKenzie to Greensleeves. It's absolutely beautiful. If you want something fun for the kids, try a double sword to Earl the Christmas Squirrel! It's awesome!
By LeeAinsdancer
On Wed Nov 04, 2009 09:29 PM
Edited by LeeAinsdancer (203978) on 2009-11-04 21:30:27
OK you got me - what is or who sings - Earl the Christmas squirrel?
By emmyport
On Thu Nov 05, 2009 05:49 AM
puddelilly wrote:

Think of it in really fast bars. One foot movement per BAR. Again, it would require it to be played very fast. (We wish you a merry Christmas would take up 2 bars of music)
We(&) wish(1) you a merry Christ(2)mas (I think it would be hornpipe timing but I'm really bad at timing. Really I'm just hearing the pulsating beat from the bar. One beat per bar, so shedding on the right side would take 4 bars of music) All your (1)s would be the only beat. Sing it really fast. :)

The recommended Fling tempo is 114 beats to the minute, or 53/100 of a second per beat. In order to sing this carol with one bar per beat of the Fling and get it up to tempo, you'd have to sing roughly one word (or two, in some phrases) per 18/100 of a second. I just tried it with a metronome and that is pretty darn fast! I guess you'd just have to find a group of people who can sing it without breathing ;)

Thanks for taking the time to explain how it's done, Puddelilly! I am far less confused by this unorthodox approach to duple dancing in triple meter now :)
By puddelilly
On Thu Nov 05, 2009 06:09 AM
^I think an instrumental version might be in order :)
^^I also would like to know about earl the christmas squirrel :)
By KathyP
On Thu Nov 05, 2009 06:23 AM
My curiosity about Earl was peaked as well, so I found this by the Moffets:

www.scarysquirrel.org . . .
By puddelilly
On Thu Nov 05, 2009 06:53 AM
That is too cute! :)
Page:
Page 1 of 2: 1 2

ReplySendWatch