Forum: Folk / Polynesian Dance

St. Louis Hula & Tahitian Dance and Drumming Workshop
By Punahele
On Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:39 PM

The St. Louis Hula & Tahitian Dance and Drumming Workshop is
sponsored by Hui Hula 'O Punahele and St. Charles Community College. Workshop takes place Saturday & Sunday,February 20 & 21, 2010.

Featuring Ra'tira Tiana and Riki Liufau of Nonosina Polynesia, Inc., Kumu Hula Keali'i Ceballos of Hula Halau Keali'i 'O Nalani and Lead Tahitian Drummer, Derek Keil of Teriki's Polynesia.

This workshop is for those experienced Polynesian dancers with knowledge of terms and technique. This intensive workshop is the only one of its kind in the United States. This is Nonosina Polynesia's only workshop currently in the US. These sought-after dance masters are coveted throughout the world.

If you are up for the challenge of a two day in depth study with the world's finest masters, join us on February 20 & 21, 2010, for the experience of a lifetime.

For more information regarding this workshop contact Dori at ttimandori@sbcglobal.net. You may register through St. Charles Community College at (636) 922-8233. Register after December 1, 2009.

8 Replies to St. Louis Hula & Tahitian Dance and Drumming Workshop

re: St. Louis Hula & Tahitian Dance and Drumming Workshop
By Celebrianmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Nov 04, 2009 06:48 PM
Too bad I'm from Florida and on a shoestring budget. It would have been great to attend! I hope someone from here can go and tell us all how it went.
By kala_i
On Thu Nov 05, 2009 01:39 PM
...aaah! the weekend just before e pili kakou in kaua'i. :( i don't think i'll be able to do both--t'is a shame because i've been wanting to attend this workshop for a minute. guess i'll have to wait until next year. *sigh*
By Punahele
On Mon Nov 30, 2009 04:28 PM
mark your calendar now, as it is always the third weekend of Feb. enjoy your huaka'i to Kauai.

Malama pono!
Punahele
By Punahele
On Mon Nov 30, 2009 04:38 PM
Celebrian~

What halau or group do you belong to? There are several FL groups that have received information regarding this workshop, so maybe you cold "fundraise" together and attend. My halau fundraises every year and seldom does anyone have to pay out of pocket. Puffin pastries are excellent money makers. Goodluck. This is an excellent opportunity to learn from some of the world's finest choreographers and Kumu Hula.
By ohanaPremium member
On Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:27 PM
Edited by ohana (188688) on 2009-12-07 22:28:33
It's rough for me right now, but I am going to do whatever it takes to get there. :)

If I go, I will take some pics and post here.
By Celebrianmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Dec 10, 2009 02:47 PM
^Yay! Can't wait to see pics.

Punahele, I've only just begun a little halau in this part of Florida. (I never post where so no one knows exactly where I live, but I would tell you if you PM me.) My kumu lives in Hawaii and told me start teaching here. Since I'm alakai and came here and was practicing alone and wanted to attain olapa part of what I have to do, for her requirements to me, is start a group here and teach so I'm slowly growing a new halau from the ground up. So far it is only a 'family halau'. Everyone in it is either a relative via blood or marriage. I have only just attained one non-relative student (YAY!). I start the keiki group in January of teaching 3-5 girls free so I can advertise the halau on the childrens side of things.

If I had enough info in advance I can probably attend a workshop in 2011. I always like to find ways to improve my teaching!
By Jennabugg0930
On Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:30 PM
I wrote an email asking for more information such as price and where it will be held but I didn't get a response. Does anyone have this info they could give me?
By ohanaPremium member
On Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:21 PM
I have the flyer that the kumu hula sent to me. The workshop is this weekend. If you want her info and flyer I can forward it to you. Let me know.

ReplySendWatch