Forum: Arts / Debates

Page:
Page 3 of 6: 1 2 3 4 5 6
re: This made national headlines: a girl dressed up in "blackface" for Halloween
By AlwaysOnStagePremium member
On Wed Nov 04, 2009 07:31 PM
I don't get why this is a problem.

I know the history of blackface, and the degradation of black characters and black actors in American Performance History, but still this is NOT a big deal.

People die hair, put makeup on, put costumes on and pretend to be someone else. Some people are going to be rude about it. There are Ms. South Carolinas, and GWBushes, and "Pregnant Prom Dates" all the time. I don't think being someone of a different race is bad in and of itself. Being a black rapper isn't a bad halloween costume. People getting upset by this is just crazy. Changing your skin isn't a big deal.
re: This made national headlines: a girl dressed up in "blackface" for Halloween
By horseygymnastmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed Nov 04, 2009 08:00 PM
Sort of unrelated, but why is "blackfacing" such a taboo, and yet "yellowfacing" is equally offensive and yet can still be found in some of today's pop culture?
By ConUnaSonrisamember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed Nov 04, 2009 08:01 PM
For those of you who think what Whitney did was bad, I have this question to ask you. And I honestly would like responses.

Which race, black or white, has the "right" to be Michael Jackson for Halloween? He is (was?) a black man. So shouldn't black people get the rights? But he's as pale as a ghost, so to be convincing, black people would need to paint themselves right? But wouldn't that be like so totally offensive to white people? I don't get it.
By Meganmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Nov 04, 2009 08:24 PM
Edited by Megan (87282) on 2009-11-04 21:19:10
^Why not just dress as the character and leave your skin as is? The costume will make perfect sense regardless (in your MJ example, especially, a white guy and a black guy both wearing the same costume are going to both be pretty darn obvious as to who they're dressed up as with or without bodypaint.) And use common sense. Certain costumes are always less than tasteful (as in Prince Harry's Nazi officer), and I believe that anything involving painting oneself to resemble a black person (and yes, I think it's only the case of something-to-black that qualifies, due to the history of it that has been mentioned numerous times already) is less than tasteful as well.

This whole fake "oh, I'm so confused about what is PC!" thing you're affecting isn't really necessary. Don't make yourself look less smart than you are.

I'll say it a third time: poor taste. Tacky. Not necessarily racist.
re: This made national headlines: a girl dressed up in "blackface" for Halloween (karma: 2)
By d4jmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Nov 04, 2009 08:30 PM
So do only black people get to dress up as Obama even though he is half white?
re: This made national headlines: a girl dressed up in "blackface" for Halloween (karma: 1)
By tumblebugPremium member
On Thu Nov 05, 2009 08:54 PM
Um, seriously.

Are people really that bored and have nothing going on in their lives that they would call this black face to get a story? It is very OBVIOUS it does not meet the definition of black face.

And meanwhile

Some people out there have REAL problems and REAL concerns...

Seriously. Wow.
By Moonlitefairy06member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Nov 05, 2009 09:33 PM
Edited by Moonlitefairy06 (90715) on 2009-11-05 21:34:58 hmm my pic isn't working but edit isn't giving me the option to remove it?
Edited by Moonlitefairy06 (90715) on 2009-11-05 21:35:25 never mind now it is! I'm on the left
What about tanning? fake tanning or otherwise? Its a billion dollar industry in the US. I'm very against it because I know it causes skin cancer, but no one has ever called it racist.

Last year I was a ginger bread cookie for Halloween and got a little over zealous with the fake tanning and looked another ethnicity. Not black, but perhaps hispanic. Is that racist?
By Orionmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:01 AM
I don't think she was being racist at all; I think she was dressing up for Halloween. That's all. End of story.

Blackface isn't JUST the use of the body paint, it's the over-exaggeration and mockery of the traits of an entire race. That's not what this girl was doing. She didn't paint on giant lips and say her costume was "a black guy", she dressed up as a SPECIFIC CELEBRITY whose skin happened to be a different color than hers. She wasn't even MOCKING him, she was DRESSING UP as him. There's a big difference there.

I agree that blackface has a terrible history and shouldn't be taken lightly, but as I see it, this is NOT BLACKFACE. In this case, I think that her intent is important, and she didn't portray Lil Wayne offensively. She's not racist, and the people standing up for her aren't racist either. I don't see any racism in this thread at all, actually. I think we all agree that the idea of blackface is a terrible concept with a degrading and infuriating history, but like I said, what this girl did is NOT blackface.
By Felsamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:28 AM
For the love of (insert whatever you would like here)!

It is halloween. On this day, people choose to dress up as something or someone. More authentic the better in many peoples minds. She dressed up as the rapper lil' wayne. She did NOT dress up like that and go "YO LOOK EVERYONE! IMMA A BLACK PERSON CAUSE BLACK PEOPLE ONLY DRESS LIKE THIS AND TALK LIKE THIS!!"

No. She went "HEY LOOK EVERYONE! I AM LIL' WAYNE!"

The ONLY way this whole situation can relate to racism is that people who are saying this is wrong, are basically saying "A white person can not dress as a black person but a black person can dress as a white person."

That, my friends, is racism. Would I be offended if someone painted themselves white? No and I am as white as they come.

I think everyone needs their panties out of a bunch and agree that, yes, black facing IS bad, no, it should not be allowed, yes one should be able to darken their skin to portray another person in a non-judgmental, non-making fun of way.

Comment #8644437 deleted
Removed by Snuffy (189942) on 2009-11-06 00:38:34 Ehh, nah, I can't be bothered.

By TheMidlakeMusemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Nov 06, 2009 07:49 AM
Where the eff is anyone saying that it's okay to whiteface or yellowface? Blackface has a specific and unique history that's denigrating and demeaning, but where exactly is ANYONE declaring that a black person could do whiteface and it's perfectly okay?!

Dani
By Felsamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:12 AM
TheMidlakeMuse wrote:

Where the eff is anyone saying that it's okay to whiteface or yellowface? Blackface has a specific and unique history that's denigrating and demeaning, but where exactly is ANYONE declaring that a black person could do whiteface and it's perfectly okay?!

Dani

I have seen it done over and over again and no one has ever said anything about it. I don't know why it is not okay to do if it is for a costume. I do not find it offensive at all.
By LeSoulierVertmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:30 PM

Dani

I declare that it's fine by me! Pretty sure other people talked about the reversed situation as well.
re: This made national headlines: a girl dressed up in "blackface" for Halloween (karma: 1)
On Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:45 PM
Edited by TheMidlakeMuse (78507) on 2009-11-06 12:57:10
Edited by TheMidlakeMuse (78507) on 2009-11-06 12:57:26
LeSoulierVert wrote:

I declare that it's fine by me! Pretty sure other people talked about the reversed situation as well.

Felsa is implying that there's some sort of hypocrisy going on for the people that think this is racist. You're not offended by this, so sorry, you don't count.

Look, can we at least all agree that this girl did something EXTREMELY STUPID in completely disregarding the painful history of blackface? Even if she didn't *mean* it in a certain way, it makes her look really bad and straight up ignorant. I seriously can't believe some of you guys aren't aware of minstrel shows or old radio programs like Amos and Andy. Read a book about the history of race in America sometime and I think you'll understand why people get upset about so much as a reference to this awful time in American history.

Dani
By Brittanymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Nov 06, 2009 01:01 PM
Dani...I think most of us understand that blackfacing is an awful, insulting thing. But the people that don't think she really did anything wrong don't consider what she did to be blackfacing.
re: This made national headlines: a girl dressed up in "blackface" for Halloween (karma: 4)
By MarlaSingermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Nov 06, 2009 01:11 PM
Dani, you know I love you, and I'm not disrespecting your opinion AT ALL. But I think it's a little unfair to imply that those of us who don't find this offensive are ignorant about the history of blackface and of white people portraying black people in America. I'm familiar with everything you've referenced, and I like to think I'm pretty well-educated when it comes to the history of race relations in America. But I think some of us, myself included, feel that maybe in order for progress to be made in regard to racial harmony, we need to stop getting up in arms about anything that can possibly be construed as racism. All that does is create racial tension where there doesn't need to be any. If skin color is truly nothing more than skin color and does not define identity, why does it matter so much if I color my skin darker or someone with darker skin colors theirs lighter? Yes, there was a time in America when blackface was used to mock and degrade black Americans, and I'm not saying that we should just ignore that. I think we always need to keep in mind the shameful history of slavery followed by segregation and discrimination in this country and others, because when we forget, we run the risk of repeating our actions. But are we seriously going to get upset about someone portraying a different race from their own from now until the end of time just because it was once done in a disrespectful and degrading manner?
On Fri Nov 06, 2009 01:18 PM
She's not doing it to be progressive or respectful. She's portraying a different race from their own, prancing around for the camera throwing gang signs with a grill. If that's not a stereotype, I don't know what is. Yeah, okay, she's supposed to be a specific person, and yeah, at least she wasn't strumming a banjo or toting a slice of watermelon around. But it's kind of an ultimate "dumb blonde" moment when she expects nobody to be upset about this, especially as the face of a football team that has a lot of black players on it and black fans.

And I was specifically referring to the people who explicitly said "what is blackface?"--though I think ultimately it's the cheerleader from white, suburban Houston that needs to read a book. I know people from the schools in the suburbs and they treat black people like novelties.

Dani
By Munkensteinmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Nov 06, 2009 01:30 PM
Look, can we at least all agree that this girl did something EXTREMELY STUPID in completely disregarding the painful history of blackface? Even if she didn't *mean* it in a certain way, it makes her look really bad and straight up ignorant. I seriously can't believe some of you guys aren't aware of minstrel shows or old radio programs like Amos and Andy. Read a book about the history of race in America sometime and I think you'll understand why people get upset about so much as a reference to this awful time in American history.

If you want to command people to read a book, I'd like to also command you to take the sociology courses I took in school, to watch a few films on the subject, to discuss Bamboozled in depth, and to form an opinion based on the current era, rather than perpetuating something that this girl wasn't even doing.

"Blackface" is a particular term; it has been defined...I'm not going to bother posting pictures. This girl was obviously not attempting "blackface." If she was, she failed really, really hard. I'm amazed that this is getting so much attention and that people are so stuck on it. Let's post that definition again, just for good measure.

dictionary.com wrote:

┬ľnoun
1. Theater.
a. an entertainer, esp. one in a minstrel show, made up in the role of a black.
b. the makeup, as burnt cork, used in this role: They performed in blackface.
2. Printing. a heavy-faced type.

She did not use a cork for make-up, nor was she an entertainer getting made up to perform degrading "comedy" routines. If dressing and acting like a person for Halloween is THAT offensive, maybe the person that was being emulated should be looked at. Isn't imitation supposed to be flattery? I'd get a kick out of people dressing as me for Halloween were I in that position.

Funnily enough, I had a couple of co-workers who were curious whether my boyfriend's skin was actually tan or if we had "darkened him up with make-up" for his Halloween costume as Prince. They were both black and I'm pale as a vampire...it never occured to any of us that it would be offensive for him to have worn dark make-up to get the effect of the costume...he happens to actually be that dark, so it wasn't necessary, but you know. These people are good examples of not looking to be offended all the time and not looking to be a victim all of the time. They'll use their energy if something that's ACTUALLY racist towards them ever comes up.
On Fri Nov 06, 2009 01:30 PM
Edited by Brittany (36942) on 2009-11-06 13:32:38
Of course she had a grill...Lil Wayne has a grill. If she copied into that stereotype it's only because Lil Wayne fits into that stereotype.

Side note - I just got a netspeak detector for saying "Lil"...wonder why that hasn't happened in my previous posts. And it was only one of the "Lil"s in this post that was counted as netspeak. How odd.
By LeSoulierVertmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Fri Nov 06, 2009 01:33 PM
Edited by LeSoulierVert (121625) on 2009-11-06 14:26:42 typo
And I was specifically referring to the people who explicitly said "what is blackface?"--though I think ultimately it's the cheerleader from white, suburban Houston that needs to read a book. I know people from the schools in the suburbs and they treat black people like novelties.

You complain about stereotyping, and then you went and completely stereotyped her.

I find your comment about needing to read a book offensive. I am pretty well educated, I go to one of the best colleges in the US, and I didnt know about blackfacing. I'm sorry if that seems ignorant to you, but it just is not something that I have studied yet, as there are many things to study in the world. I really think it's lame to go denegrating a lot of intelligent women on this thread because they didn't know something. Were not wonder women!

Comment #8645474 deleted
Removed by TheMidlakeMuse (78507) on 2009-11-06 13:37:40 Oh for Christ's sake. Never mind.

By kandykanePremium member
On Fri Nov 06, 2009 01:41 PM
Edited by kandykane (157761) on 2009-11-06 13:44:23 I think that's spelled right. Oh, for spell check again!
Edited by kandykane (157761) on 2009-11-06 13:50:20 now I is smart.
Whether or not she used a cork is unimportant. At the time (roughly 1800s) they used a burnt cork to spread color on their faces, that WAS the "makeup". What is used for the makeup is totally irrelevant.

And I agree with Dani. It was in bad taste. It was not funny.

And how can anyone comment knowledgeably on this topic without knowing about blackface? Ok, maybe SHE (the girl who dressed up) didn't know. But others do. And they don't find it funny. Just because it didn't offend YOU (anyone in particular) doesn't mean it isn't offensive.

kk~
By PlumeriaPremium member
On Fri Nov 06, 2009 02:07 PM
I'm not going to research blackfacing because I actually have a life, unlike the newspeople who made this a story. :P

Yes, blackfacing was bad in the past. But times have changed. (Yes, we should be wary, but not 100% against it. It's Halloween! You're allowed to dress up as a sterotypical punk/goth/ or black person.)

It also really depends on what the person's intentions are. I mean, if they are doing it because they are racist, then yeah, come on. But if it's just for fun like a Halloween, lighten up.

We have so many issues these days, and this one really isn't big. So why get all worked up on something as small as this?
By kandykanePremium member
On Fri Nov 06, 2009 02:17 PM
Hmmmm..... If I went out on Halloween in a robe with my head shaved and an X carved into my forhead, would it offend anyone?

kk~
On Fri Nov 06, 2009 02:27 PM
Every little thing in this world is going to offend at least 1 person some way, some how...
Page:
Page 3 of 6: 1 2 3 4 5 6

ReplySendWatch