Forum: Arts / Debates

Page:
Page 6 of 6: 1 2 3 4 5 6
re: This made national headlines: a girl dressed up in "blackface" for Halloween
By Brittanymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Nov 17, 2009 09:50 AM
A lot of my black friends actually hate BET for how it often it shows a negative stereotype of black people.

Just sayin'...
re: This made national headlines: a girl dressed up in "blackface" for Halloween
By uketalimember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed Nov 18, 2009 08:10 AM
^These so called stereotypes are prevelent is many black music videos. It's an artists own descion to portray himself/herself that way.

Anyway....back on topic...my friend dressed up as Tina Turner for Halloween and used a dark foundation. Is that offensive as well? Or are certain people just offended by a seemingly negative portrayal of a black person?
By kandykanePremium member
On Wed Nov 18, 2009 08:19 AM
Edited by kandykane (157761) on 2009-11-18 08:20:51 typos
I really think the MLK party incident at my son's nearby university played a role in the publicity this story got. Some of the same local reporters and news stations covered both stories.

An interesting note - the girl who dressed as Aunt Jemima at the MLK party did not put on any makeup, she just dressed the part. Didn't seem to make a difference in how it was perceived. I also think the Cowboy cheerleader's choice of person to dress up as played a part. If she had been Tina Turner, no I don't think the reaction would have been the same.

kk~
By Music_is_love13
On Wed Nov 18, 2009 08:38 AM
Here's my take on it: Bad taste? Yes. Offensive to some? Obviously, if you read some of the comments. Necessarily racist? Not so much. I think DefyingGravity was brilliant in the Jack from Will and Grace analogy. I'm cool with someone doing that, but not with someone going as a "gay person", the same way people should be tolerant of this girl going as Lil' Wayne. If an African American person had gone as Lil' Wayne, would that be viewed as offensive?
re: This made national headlines: a girl dressed up in "blackface" for Halloween (karma: 3)
By Arakmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:10 AM
Ok, since Stuff White People Like has been cited, it's time to bring out... Avenue Q!
By Munkensteinmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Nov 19, 2009 05:00 PM
Everybody needs to be watching this episode of Tyra right now...it's all about this stuff. Tyra is saying that her intention was not to ever offend people by doing photoshoots where the models portrayed different cultures, and that she's sorry if anybody was offended...then she gives a definition of "blackface" and states that she DID NOT put her models in "blackface," as people were accusing her. Yay for Tyra.
By MarlaSingermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Nov 19, 2009 07:45 PM
^I saw that too. I was glad she came out and said something about it. I love her. :D
By Snuffymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Nov 19, 2009 07:55 PM
^ and ^^, yay for Tyra! :D I haven't seen the episode, but good on her for devoting some time to this issue and for explaining her intentions behind her photo shoot. I respect also that she has approached topic of black face and presumably explained how this differs from what she was doing. Nobody messes with Tyra, wooh!
By sparklystars
On Sat Dec 19, 2009 05:18 PM
You know,I hate racism of ANY sort I think it's disgusting and it really upsets me but JEEZ if people didn't make such a big deal out of stuff then it wouldn't BE a big deal, all of this fear of offending someone only makes things 10 times worse, it's real life no matter what you do you will likely always offend someone without meaning to, and no I'm not condoning 'blackfacing' or whatever I'd never heard of it until I read this thread but I get that it's really offensive, I just don't think this girl intended it to be that way give her a break.
By Dance4lyphe
On Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:16 PM
She should have dressed up as michael jackson then she wouldn't need to paint her face!!
By GypsieFreemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Jan 06, 2010 03:06 PM
My roommate (whom is white) dressed up as Kanye West for halloween. It was hilarious actually. He grabbed the mic from the band and even cracked the kanye joke "Im, Im gonna let them finish but..."

It actually went over reasonably well. Most people cracked up, including several black people. It wasn't meant in a racist way at all.

On halloween you dress up as someone (or someTHING). It's not meant as disrespect
By DancinDiva2005member has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Jan 06, 2010 03:38 PM
6 pages of debate..wow.

I'm also with everyone who says that this is not blackface. I hadn't heard of it til now, but I just looked it up and it isn't the same. It just isn't. It's part of a costume. It's not like she looks like that every day and walks around town going "I'm so black. I'm a black person"..or whatever.
It's a costume and she's trying to portray an individual. If she didn't have the paint, it wouldn't be Lil Wayne..she'd just look like White Trash.

Everyone seriously needs to calm down.
By leap2livemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat Jan 09, 2010 09:05 PM
Edited by leap2live (122018) on 2010-01-09 21:36:32
DancinDiva2005 wrote:

If she didn't have the paint, it wouldn't be Lil Wayne..she'd just look like White Trash.

So black individuals who dress like Lil Wayne are...Black trash??? Qhite people who dress like him are automatically white trash? Right.
Page:
Page 6 of 6: 1 2 3 4 5 6

ReplySendWatch