Forum: General / Room Salutes

Room Salutes
My new place!
By Meganmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 12956, member since Wed Mar 17, 2004
On Thu Nov 05, 2009 02:02 PM

Well, kind of new. I moved this summer, closer to campus, and just finally got around to some pictures of my new starving student digs- just in case anyone's curious about what it's like to be a couple of uni students in Canada.

First two are our teeny living room, my books (no room for my roommate's, he's crammed into his bedroom with his.)

Third is our kitchen, and fourth is the fridge with its current decoration. Genius edition and I Can Has Cheezburger edition magnetic poetry. Five is the dining area.

Six is the bathroom- awfully pink for my male roommate.

The rest are my room.

13 Replies to My new place!

re: My new place!
By smileywomanmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11032, member since Sat Sep 17, 2005
On Thu Nov 05, 2009 04:50 PM
Lovely looking place. It doesn't look like 'starving student digs' to me. :P
By DancingDiva736member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 3589, member since Wed Oct 17, 2007
On Fri Nov 06, 2009 06:55 AM
Thats a beautiful place-however I have to agree that it doesn't look like staving students live there. I've come across some rough college student living conditions in my day!
By Emmamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6898, member since Mon Nov 29, 2004
On Fri Nov 06, 2009 07:20 AM
Wow!!! I would love to live somewhere like that! It looks pretty class if you ask me...
By Angelinamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 10300, member since Mon May 06, 2002
On Sat Nov 07, 2009 04:33 AM
Ha, your bedroom looks like it's the size of my whole flat!
By Chaconnemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6359, member since Thu Jul 12, 2007
On Sat Nov 07, 2009 09:25 AM
This looks SOOO much like the condo I bought for my kids when they were in college 20+ years ago. You have really super digs. I had a "box" when I was in college in the 1960's about 10' x 12' and shared with a roommate, who fortunately was a good guy (we're still friends.) You have decorated this very nicely and it is anything but "shabby college chic" which was what most student apartments were in my college days. I could have lived with my girlfriend (now wife) had I had a place like this...we couldn't even go to each other's dorm rooms back then. :(
Born too soon!

Jon
By Sumayah Comments: 6876, member since Wed Nov 12, 2008
On Sat Nov 07, 2009 09:33 AM
I dig it! I especially *love* and want your comforter. And that doesn't look tiny to me, it looks huge!
By tumblebugPremium member Comments: 10100, member since Fri Mar 29, 2002
On Sat Nov 07, 2009 09:43 AM
Um that's not tiny. Looks bigger than the apartment my 'starving' family of 3 is barely affording.
By Meganmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 12956, member since Wed Mar 17, 2004
On Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:18 AM
Haha, Angelina- we're Canadian, we have lots of empty space, so "small" is relative, I guess. I am always shocked when I'm in England how little and adorable everything seems to be in cities, out of necessity when there just isn't space. But we build spread out here- my city of a million people can take more than an hour to drive across, even with freeways.

We don't really have dorm life too much up here either- the vast majority of students don't live in university housing. We have dorms, but they mostly seem to house international students and a smattering of first years. I don't really know anyone who's actually shared a room with someone at uni, just apartments and houses.

Sumayah, the bedding is actually made of bamboo, too, which is kind of cool. I bought it after a breakup- you know, change your bedroom, change your life, haha.

It's so weird seeing people say "That's not tiny!" because every time my parents show up they moan about how little it is and how we don't have enough room for our stuff (and I tell them that if I just stop buying books, we'll be fine...otherwise, though, they're going to be digging our bodies out of a pile of literature up to the ceiling.) We have a reasonable amount of storage too- one walk-in closet type thing, a little room off the kitchen for our deep freezer and vacuum and that kind of thing, and a laundry room. But like I said, we build big up here.
By dancinqt5013member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 3865, member since Wed Aug 17, 2005
On Sat Nov 07, 2009 03:44 PM
Dude, I'm at school in Canada and my apartment is bigger than most, but it's still tiny compared to your place.

I'm really impressed with all your furniture though. It looks awesomely coordinated. All of my stuff is second hand salvation army type stuff and none of it coordinates as well as your place does. But I do have the same Ikea chair in the second to last page! I also love all the decorations! It definitely looks more homey than starving student digs.
By CNDhighlandmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2317, member since Wed Jul 20, 2005
On Mon Nov 09, 2009 08:12 PM
so i pretty much have all the same ikea furniture that you do, ps its amazing stuff!
On Fri Nov 27, 2009 01:53 PM
dancinqt5013: Yeah, but you're in Montreal, are you not? I stayed in a McGill dorm this summer and could not believe it was for real, I can't imagine living in one for a semester. My single suitcase took up the entire floor. It was crazy, I'd never seen anything like it. Out here in the west we've got nothing but empty space, haha.
By Live_on_Broadway Comments: 2538, member since Tue Oct 01, 2002
On Fri Nov 27, 2009 03:37 PM
^As someone who's lived in both cities, I can attest that it's REALLY hard to find a nice apartment in Montreal, let alone a spacious one.

I like all your Malm, Megan. Your furnishings look remarkably similar to mine. :)

*Gina*
By Izzy2009member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 54, member since Tue Dec 08, 2009
On Sat Jan 16, 2010 06:02 AM
I love your new place. Its so nice and looks really comfy and cosy!
X

ReplySendWatch