Forum: General / Hip Hop / Breaking

Breaking
Okay okay! Who can help me with learning headspins!!?? I'm nervous
By DancerbyGodmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1178, member since Sun Nov 20, 2005
On Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:21 AM

Hey all, I'm teaching some classes right now, but I want to advance my repetoire in hip-hop and break dance, so I want to start training and learning headspins. Though I have heard from fellow crew members, they ARE very dangerous and you have to take precautions.

Please any advice to get started is greatly appreciated thanks!

DbG

3 Replies to Okay okay! Who can help me with learning headspins!!?? I'm nervous

re: Okay okay! Who can help me with learning headspins!!?? I'm nervous
By Keitsumember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 100, member since Tue Jan 04, 2005
On Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:17 AM
Be comfortable with headstand...

start doing taps ( little rotations using your hands )

spread legs in a V (keep tapping)

once you get the hang of this go half a spin with one tap... then full spin... then so on and so forth.

its really not scary and i really don't see how anyone could mess it up. As long as you have a very solid headstand you'll be good.
By BgirlDoesBallet Comments: 598, member since Sun May 31, 2009
On Sat Dec 19, 2009 09:43 PM
In addition to what Keitsu said, invest in a beanie. It makes it easier to spin, especially when you're first starting out. Also, it at least puts something between your head and the floor ;).

I wouldn't worry too much about them though. I mean, of course you should be careful (don't just go whipping yourself around on your first try), but I've fallen out of headspins in all kinds of different ways and the worst that's ever happened to me is a few bruises.

Once you get better with the tapping like Keitsu suggested, I'd go on Youtube and watch videos of people doing headspins. Look at what different people do to increase their speed and/or number of spins and see what techniques work for you.

Just a warning- the top of your head will probably be sore the next day if you do enough of them. For me, it usually just hurts if I apply pressure to it like when I'm shampooing my hair. Eventually this'll stop happening though (or it least it has for me for the most part). Also, I don't know if this happens to everyone but for the longest time, I'd wake up with dandruff the morning after doing them. It was the weirdest thing but for awhile, I'd have dandruff every Saturday morning (class was always Friday nights). Luckily this stopped happening after awhile but still, it was pretty weird so I just thought I'd let you know in case it happened to you (it took me a little while to figure out why I only had dandruff once a week :P).

Good luck!
By Izzy2009member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 54, member since Tue Dec 08, 2009
On Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:18 AM
Its really Scary at first i know. But you have to just go for it!
X

ReplySendWatch