Popular Irish

Solo Dresses by essie1
Hi looking for a solo dress for my daughter it must be for a 16+ bust size 34, length 31~33. She...

Forum: Jazz / Lyrical

Lyrical
What will a first lyrical class be like? en>fr fr>en
By ballet_dancer4 Comments: 17, member since Sat Nov 07, 2009
On Sun Nov 08, 2009 05:45 PM

I have a few questions about lyrical dancing.

1. What would my first lyrical class be like?

2. If I took lyrical, would I have to take jazz too?

3. If i took ballet, lyrical and jazz, would this help my dance technique along with private lessons?

4. I have only taken one ballet class, but I am interested in lyrical and jazz. I am a beginning dancer. Would these classes be too advanded.

5. What would i wear to jazz and lyrical class?

Thank you!

4 Replies to What will a first lyrical class be like?

re: What will a first lyrical class be like? en>fr fr>en
By livedance13 Comments: 152, member since Tue Sep 15, 2009
On Mon Nov 09, 2009 07:28 PM
Most of the answers to these questions are depndant on the studio that you are at.
A nice long stretch, maybe some technique and a combonation

Deends on the studio, I don;t think you'll HAVE to

3. If i took ballet, lyrical and jazz, would this help my dance technique along with private lessons?
BAllet would definatly help technique and it would also help with the lyrical. Jazz is its own technique, would probably help too but I think the Ballet would be most benificial

4. I have only taken one ballet class, but I am interested in lyrical and jazz. I am a beginning dancer. Would these classes be too advanded.
Depends.. Maybe talk with you teacher or studio director to see what level they believe you can handle

I wear a tank top or loose fitting shirt and a pair of shorts to lyrical and a coloured body suit and shorts for jazz, however your studio may have specific requirements
By luvxx2xxdancemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1174, member since Thu Mar 05, 2009
On Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:47 PM
Probably stretching. Then maybe some simple across the floor, or a center combo, or both.

You don't have to I guess. Some of the technique might help, like different leaps and kicks. Ask yourr studio

Yea they would.

If you are a beginning dancer then they would probably put you in beginning classes.

I would wear something you're comfortable in. For both I would wear a tank and some dance shorts. For shoes you could go barefoot if you have nice callouses, if not, then wear socks or FootUndeez or jazz shoes. It's usually not that strict when it comes to styles like that.
By danceaholic_xoxo Comments: 501, member since Tue Dec 23, 2008
On Sun Nov 22, 2009 05:34 PM
My first lyrical class this year, we didn't do a routine or anything, not until the first three weeks. We started with a bunch of stretching and technique work before any of our routines. One of the major stretches we did was the wall stretch, where you lay on your back and scoot up against the wall and open your legs to as far as they could. We would go across the floor, and do leaps, kicks, turns, etc.

Unless your studio says you have to, you don't. I do, because at my studio lyrical is a mix of jazz and ballet, and doesn't really go into the depths and all that like you see on dance videos. We use a lot of the same kicks and turns from jazz as we do in lyrical

Those are the only three kinds of dance I take now, and overall my ballet (pre-pointe) class has helped with my technique more than anything. You may be required to take ballet too at your studio, I'm not sure. I would if you can, it would really help.

I'm in my first year of ballet, third year of jazz, and second year of lyrical. I'm in all intermediate for the levels, and I don't find them too difficult at all. Your studio may have you do a few placement classes to determine where you stand in lyrical.

In jazz class, we wear tights, leotard, tank and dance shorts, with either footundies or jazz shoes. In lyrical, we wear leotard, tights, and a dance skirt, with footundies or lyrical sandles.
By cutedancer1 Comments: 36, member since Wed Dec 30, 2009
On Wed Dec 30, 2009 06:23 PM
My first lyrical class was only a few months ago so i understand what you are going through.

1. one word, FUN! Lyrical is really fun. on the first day you would probably stretch and do some things across the floors (like turns, jumps...)

2. not necessarily but you might want to. i think lyrical is a slower jazz so if you take lyrical jazz would probably be a little easier.

3. it would definately help with techniques. ballet is a must have if you want to do anything like jazz or tap.

4. I dont think so but you might want to take more ballet before starting jazz and lyrical. maybe wait a year.

5. to lyrical i usually wear a leotard, tights, fitted shorts, and a shirt. i wear the same thing to jazz.

Hope that this helped you! Good luck

ReplySendWatch