Popular Highland

Good place to order tartan hose for older kilt by rosalinde
I ordered my kilt and hose in 1997, and the socks are starting to disintegrate. The kilt is still...

Forum: Ballet / Ballet - General

Ballet - General
What's the difference between Vaganova and Cecchetti? en>fr fr>en
By xxquatrieme Comments: 94, member since Sun Jun 07, 2009
On Mon Nov 09, 2009 08:52 AM

I *may* be moving to a different state, and none of the studios in the are teach Cecchetti, the teach Vaganova.

So I would like to know the difference between the 2. I've been studying Cecchetti since I was 3, and I am 15 now and I'm not sure if I would be able to do the Vaganova method.

Any answers are greatly appreciated.

8 Replies to What's the difference between Vaganova and Cecchetti?

re: What's the difference between Vaganova and Cecchetti? en>fr fr>en
By hummingbird Comments: 8397, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Mon Nov 09, 2009 01:20 PM
It's still classical ballet, yes it's a different style, but it's still ballet, most of the steps will be called the same thing.

I had learnt nothing but RAD until I was 16 and then swapped to Cecchetti and then after that I went on to learn some Legat system and I feel it made me a better and stronger dancer. I'm sure if you give it a go you'll find the same thing.
By Chepyl Comments: 2344, member since Mon May 03, 2004
On Tue Nov 10, 2009 08:43 AM
Vagonava and Cecchetti are pretty close in terminology. There are a few places where execution varies (pointed vs flexed on frappes), body positions and arabesques are different. Get The Dictionary and Technical Manual on of Classical Ballet by Gail Grant ($5 on Amazon.com). It has pictures in the back of arabesques, attitudes, arms, body placement, and room points for Cecchetti, Vagonava, and French. You can be educated before you get there. That way you will feel less lost.

It can be confusing, but you'll get it. I once took twice a week from a Ceccetti teacher, twice a week from and RAD teacher and once a week from a Vagonava teacher - I was a mess the first couple of weeks. But it made me a much better dancer and now teacher.
On Tue Nov 10, 2009 08:58 AM
Thank You so much guys!
By flower_facePremium member Comments: 1587, member since Sun Jun 20, 2004
On Wed Nov 11, 2009 03:48 PM
Gail Grant's book is excellent and here's another two thumbs up for it. It can take awhile to adjust even if you try and familiarize yourself ahead of time , and it's normal so try to not worry. Inform instructors before you start classes so they will be aware you are coming from a different method and can help you transition more comfortably.

Also, Vaganova classes rarely use a "set" class that gets repeated. You may be working on the same technical elements over a period time but will likely receive many variations in class that incorporate the elements with different combinations , tempos , accent and so on.
On Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:22 PM
Thanks so much for the replies everyone!

I'm going to try to get a video "resume' together so that I can show them my technique before hand.
By PrimaPointe92 Comments: 90, member since Mon Apr 27, 2009
On Fri Nov 13, 2009 07:13 AM
Both are classical ballet styles. Yet, Checchetti is Italian and Vaganova is Russian. The terminology is pretty close/similar for both. There are just some minute differences. That's all.
By flower_facePremium member Comments: 1587, member since Sun Jun 20, 2004
On Fri Nov 13, 2009 01:57 PM
^^ How minute the differences are is up for debate, it depends who you ask and what criteria you are using to evaluate and compare. No method is more, or less, valid than any other, but there is more to it than it than simply being Italian or Russian, not to mention the other methods such as RAD, Bournonville , etc..

Beyond personal preferences, things that seem superficial on paper can be a different story when you are asked to change gears mentally and physically from what has become second nature after years of study in any given method. Some adjust more quickly and easily than others, but generally people need some time . Dancers shouldn't be discouraged or intimidated from learning more than one method, but also shouldn't be given the impression they should automatically be able to switch from one method to another, without a period of adjustment, as that can lead to discouragement if/when it doesn't happen instantly.

More on topic, Extra information via video can be helpful for your new instructors, but many studios want new dancers ( new to their studio) to take class for placement as well . Don't feel weird if they want to see you in class in addition to a video.
I primarily am from a Vaganova background, but have taken Cecchetti as well, and always found it helpful to take a placement class everywhere I've danced, but especially in a method I'm less experienced with personally.
By gioland Comments: 248, member since Tue Sep 08, 2009
On Fri Nov 13, 2009 07:36 PM
If you want to get familiar with the Vaganova terminology, why not buy her book? It's small and cheap, and it is a very easy reading.

ReplySendWatch