Forum: Advice / Pilates/Yoga

Pilates and a bad back
By tto1
On Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:48 PM

I have an opportunity to take a Pilates class. I also have degenerative discs in my lower back. Are there any move that I shouldn't do? What moves will help strenghten my back? I hope I don't chicken out!!!
Thanks

3 Replies to Pilates and a bad back

re: Pilates and a bad back
By reelcanadiangirlPremium member
On Tue Nov 10, 2009 01:42 PM
I would speak with a doctor or physiotherapist to find out if there is any motion that you shouldn't do. my mum and I do pilates together and she has a very bad back. She has 2 metal rods in her back from scoliosis as well as osteoarthritis and degenerative changes. Her physiotherapist told her not to do anything that requires rolling on her back, arching her back, or inverting. She can do most other moves and says it's been great for strengthening her core and back. I would definitely check with a physiotherapist about what moves you can and cannot do with your condition.

Enjoy pilates!
By SunshinePointemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Nov 10, 2009 01:57 PM
As a group fitness instructor I would insist on medical clearance before you start any physical exercise if you have back problems. Only your physician knows your range of motion and limitations. Do not rely on the instructor to give you this information. Doctor doctor doctor.
By tto1
On Tue Nov 10, 2009 07:32 PM
Thanks! Off to the Doctor!

ReplySendWatch