Forum: Disco / Disco - Street Dance

Never seen street dance at a comp before. Any help?
By NewPop
On Fri Nov 13, 2009 05:30 AM

My dance school has just recently started doing freestyle competitions but we've never been to a one with street dance section. We're hoping to enter street dance at a comp we're going to in January so I was wondering if anyone could give me any help or advice about what it's like?

Any videos of it would be greatly appreciated.

Much thanks to anyone with some words of advice

3 Replies to Never seen street dance at a comp before. Any help?

re: Never seen street dance at a comp before. Any help?
By LittledancerJessmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Fri Nov 13, 2009 05:52 AM
I love street/hip hop not sure if you meant videos of hip hop or at a comp but heres a video and just at the beginning my little girl does her old hip hop routine she has a new one now though. Street sections and just the same as any other section such as slow, they will run it by age sometimes split by beginner/starters and inter/champ but other times altogether anyway heres the video

www.youtube.com . . .

Zoe
x
By sally_32member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:29 AM
Hi,

There are many different styles of street very much depending on the dancer. My two eldest children dance very differently, street is all about finding your own style. Take a look on you tube & you will see how much it varies. Recently the likes of Flawless, Diversity & George Sampson have made street more well known so watch them, you will pick up loads of moves from any of them, also by watching lots of music videos, mine get lots of moves from the music channels. Street should be enjoyed & adding some humour is something many judges love. Hope thats helped.

Love Sally xx
By Lil_Sarahmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Nov 24, 2009 03:13 PM
Street at freestyle comps is more like hip hop, crumping and popping. Its not true street dancing, which is more on the contemproary side, like chris brown's style of dancing.
At freestyle comps its better to look stronger and 'heavier' with your moves.

hope this helps.

Sarah x

ReplySendWatch