Priority Dresses & Costumes

Forum: Costumes

Teachers - Costumes
Ready to Ship Advanced Jazz Costume Suggestions en>fr fr>en
By GetRhythmmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 4673, member since Mon Jun 20, 2005
On Fri Nov 13, 2009 09:09 AM

I've been driving myself crazy trying to find the perfect costume for my advanced jazz class. They're doing two routines, and for one of them, they're putting their own costumes together. For the other, they're dancing to "Good Luck" by the Basement Jaxx (www.youtube.com . . .), and I just can't find the *right* costume. We have been asked to perform at two events in early January, so I was trying to pick a costume either from somewhere like Target or Walmart or Rue 21, or from one of the companies that have "ready to ship" costumes. I just can't find a good one. The class is comprised of teens and a few young adults (myself included). Also, 2 or 3 of the girls are on the XL side, so I don't want anything too skimpy. I was thinking of something either in a gold, silver, or pink.

Any ideas?

7 Replies to Ready to Ship Advanced Jazz Costume Suggestions

re: Ready to Ship Advanced Jazz Costume Suggestions en>fr fr>en
By jojospins Comments: 114, member since Wed Nov 04, 2009
On Fri Nov 13, 2009 09:30 AM
great song! When you envision the outfit do you see anything other than color - ie pants versus shorts, long sleeves or sleeveless? I think you have lots of options with this song, so dont worry about getting it wrong. It doesnt really scream "sparkle" to me - its kind of raw and edgy

What about some basic pieces for now IE shorts and a long sleeved fitted top that you can alter up or add to for recital.
By GetRhythmmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 4673, member since Mon Jun 20, 2005
On Fri Nov 13, 2009 09:35 AM
At first, I wanted something like this — www.walmart.com . . . or this — www1.macys.com . . . but now I'm leaning towards something with shorts (even though I think shorts will look awful on me, personally).
re: Ready to Ship Advanced Jazz Costume Suggestions (karma: 1)  en>fr fr>en
On Fri Nov 13, 2009 09:47 AM
Thick matte tights are your friend!! My dancers wore a longer booty short - not the super crazy short ones, but a few inches of inseam anyway.. and a top with shirring on the sides and they were very flattering on everyone, even the xl girls. The judges at competition commented on it and were glad that we took into account all bodies when costuming... everyone looked great. the actual top we used was www.liberts.com . . . this one - we wore it on one shoulder and then wrapped the straps down the arm in a zig zag

Another top I think would be flattering is this one www.liberts.com . . .

you could do a longer top, shorter top over it and shorts - to give you the color block effect like the dresses?
On Fri Nov 13, 2009 09:53 AM
That's a great idea (with the tights). I always make my girls wear tights (I find this trend of not wearing tights with shorts is tacky, even on skinny girls). I love that gold top! I even looked at Liberts and missed it. :)
re: Ready to Ship Advanced Jazz Costume Suggestions (karma: 1)  en>fr fr>en
By luvs2dancealot Comments: 1092, member since Mon Mar 31, 2008
On Fri Nov 13, 2009 07:42 PM
On Fri Nov 13, 2009 09:12 PM
Yeah, I've actually looked at Forever 21 several times and just didn't see anything that really struck me. I love that last dress you listed though. Hmmm. Maybe I'll give the girls a vote! :)
On Fri Nov 13, 2009 09:19 PM
I like that dress too - very fitting for your music I think!!

ReplySendWatch