Forum: General / Jazz / Jazz - Beginners

Perform?
By T_Dance_Girl
On Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:44 AM
Edited by T_Dance_Girl (213395) on 2009-11-14 10:46:14
Edited by T_Dance_Girl (213395) on 2009-11-14 11:07:50 spelling mistake

We just went over everything we are doing for our tap and jazz exams and my feedback was really good. I just had a few stupid mistakes and my teachers kept saying "You need to perform". So how can I do that? I am a little confused.They also say I should present myself, so if you have anything that I can know how to do that it'd be great.

Thanks, T.

1 Replies to Perform?

re: Perform?
By Music_is_love13
On Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:26 PM
I'd say that what your teachers are asking you to do is have presence. You know how when you watch a dance performance, there are a few who just stand out from the crowd? It's not necessarily how well the person dances, but a sort of quality about him/her that captures your attention; in others words, stage presence. Although it's hard to explain how to get presence, here's a quick guide: You definitely need a smile when you're dancing, pull your shoulders back and lift your head. Be the picture of confidence. You also need to be enjoying yourself, and letting it shine through. Just feel the joy fill you up, and then have it all burst out on stage. Make all of your movements neat, deliberate, and energetic. There's nothing as bad as watching a dancer who looks like he/she would rather be asleep. If you use these tips and it's not what your teacher is looking for, be sure to ask what he/she wants.

ReplySendWatch