Forum: Arts / Religion

Page:
Page 2 of 2: 1 2
re: How to tell a friend about God, Jesus, Bible ect.
By Scarletmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Nov 17, 2009 07:31 PM
Edited by Scarlet (194795) on 2009-11-17 20:00:02 "your" is possessive, "you're" implies ownership.
SIKKEY333 wrote:

I guess I put my words wrong as how to make her belive.

I appreciate your good intentions, however this is the main sticking point. You don't appear to want to help her appreciate your stance and your beliefs and how you can relate with her as she is, you seem to want to change her.

Make her believe? No, that's coercion. If you want to change your friend you need to change yourself first. Besides, she already believes in something, just not what you believe.

Ask yourself the following question: If you cannot accept that your friend does not believe in God, why should she accept that you do?

Mark
By dancinqt5013member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Nov 17, 2009 09:19 PM
I think it's nice of you to want to educate her about Christianity, but I don't think you'd be going about it the right way. Bible stories to non-Christians are really nothing more than, well, stories. Most people know many of the stories in the Bible and the meaning behind them, but if someone is not Christian they aren't really going to see any religious significance. And if you tell your friend stories with the intent that it will make her realize God's love for her and make her understand what it's like to be a Christian, it probably won't work. Chances are, she'll hear a story that she's heard many times before, understand the moral of the story, and then look at you funny when you say "See? God's love is obvious!"

Unfortunately, it's hard to see why someone believes something. She'll probably have a hard time understanding why you believe what you believe, especially if she's told you that it's because there's no proof. And similarly, you're having a hard time understanding why she believes what she believes. Religion is more than just a book you read. If it was, then we'd all just read the Bible and be Christians just like that. And like people have said, Christianity is EVERYWHERE! She's probably been exposed to it, but maybe not in a religious way.

I still think that asking her about her beliefs is a good way to understand why she believes what she does, and it's a good way to let her know why you believe what you believe. But you shouldn't tell her anything with the intention of converting her. Simply asking her, "Well, what do you think happened before the big bang?" or something like that and listening to what she says and then saying what you think can maybe help her better express her beliefs without feeling judged by you and help you understand her beliefs. Also, if you're concerned that she's only an atheist because of her family, it can challenge her to figure out what she believes and why. But either way, try not to be judgmental about it. Don't make her think that she has to be Christian, because she really doesn't. And try not to tell her about the Bible or Jesus unless she asks about it.
re: How to tell a friend about God, Jesus, Bible ect. (karma: 1)
By Krystalmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:22 AM
Have you ever heard the saying that "you may be the only Bible he/she will ever read?" I think that quote applies to your situation.

I'm a very strong Christian, but I don't go around pushing my beliefs on others. I don't appreciate it when people of other religions do that to me, so why would I do it to them? I prefer to "walk the walk, talk the talk," and in situations like yours that can be the most effective method of sharing about Jesus Christ.
By webstArmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed Nov 18, 2009 01:25 PM
Personally, I'd feel insulted if you tried to "make me believe." Being agnostic was an educated decision on my part, and trying to force me to believe something different, as if I didn't know other options existed belittles that decision.

One of the nicest, most beautiful people that I know, is deeply religious. I've asked her about several different topics, which she gladly answered. However, the best way that she demonstrates her love for God, is by treating everyone in her life amazingly well. Really, that's all you can do - and everyone appreciates that.
re: How to tell a friend about God, Jesus, Bible ect. (karma: 1)
By d4jmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Nov 18, 2009 01:26 PM
The best thing that anyone can do: Be a friend. Jesus is the ultimate 'Friend', whether real or symbolic, and He is to be your guiding light in how you behave toward others. His sacrificial Love becomes the perfect example of how you are to love others. When someone is enfolded in the perfect, accepting love of friendship they have peace. That's what you want to give to people - His Peace. That is the Gospel. Spreading the peace of God to the people in the little corner of the world that He has entrusted to you will make the world a better place. This is how you share your faith and how you contribute to a better perception of Christians and Christianity.

:)
By SIKKEY333
On Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:48 PM
Thanks and do not worry I will make sure I do not force her I promsie. Thanks I think that I have an idea of what I can do Be a friend
By Reidfidleirmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:06 PM
Yep ^ you got it right. Just be a friend.

Everyone else has given you good advice, but I just wanted to add, that I am a person that has very strong beliefs in God and His word the Bible, and I am involved in a preaching work full time.

Therefore, I do thoroughly understand and empathize where you are, but there is no better way to turn somebody off than to try and try to convince them of something.

If your friend had a question, or it got brought up in conversation, and you wanted to share a point or two, totally fine (as long as your friend is fine with it), but if they're not interested, don't bring it up again.

Keep it neutral :)

(oh, and if they want to share their beliefs, don't try to "battle" with her, just simply listen respectfully- you don't have to believe it yourself to listen. But just respecting her will show her true friendship)
By Napolimember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Dec 08, 2009 01:59 PM
Edited by Napoli (87497) on 2009-12-08 14:05:31 Wanted to add name of a good resource.
As a practicing Christian, I believe you should talk to your friend about Christ. However, there are inappropriate ways to do so which I think deter more people from Christianity (especially in North America) than you could imagine.

First, I would say know your stuff. Read the pentateuch (1st 5 books of the Bible) and then read Matthew, Romans, Ephesians, and 1 and 2 Thessalonians.

Second, do an in-depth study of "The Kingdom of God"

(partially kidding)

In all honesty though, both an understanding of and a practical demonstration of the Kingdom of God (already here but not yet) is pretty much the most helpful thing you can have if you want to witness to your friend.

Nobody is going to listen if you merely say "repent or go to hell" or "I believe in God because Jesus is my best friend." I would suggest asking a question such as "What do you think of Christians and why?" Do not try to argue or defend the faith, just listen. Many things are true concerns. Admit that the church has done a crappy job of living out their faith. Admit that the crusades were a bad idea. Admit that shoving Christianity down people's throats does more harm than good.

That is where God's Kingdom comes in. There are Christians who are truly following the Lord and are ushering in the Kingdom of God. They don't get much attention because they don't want much attention. They are being Jesus' hands and feet on earth by picking up garbage on a busy street, cooking meals for their sick neighbor, doing things they do not necessarily like to do for the sole reason of helping others. Explain to your friend that you want to be that sort of Christian. One who not only knows God intellectually but one who follows His example by spending your time with the outcasts of society and caring for those who have nobody else to care for them.

Of course it is always good to pray about God's timing for a conversation like this. And remember, it is not your job to win anybody to Christ. Don't try to be your friend's savior or you'll end up crucified. Leave that to God. Its ok to say you don't know the answer to something. You aren't perfect, you are human.

A good book for this sort of thing is Kingdom Come by Alan Wakabayashi. It totally changed how I view my faith and how I share it with others.
By tybalt
On Mon Dec 28, 2009 08:16 AM
Convictions of people may be different, and let them be different, as long people follow the same ethic rules. The only important thing is how man behaves to his fellow beings. If somebody asks you about your convictions, tell him (her), if not, don't try.
By ballet12345Premium member
On Wed Dec 30, 2009 06:13 AM
Edited by sexiestballerina (216382) on 2009-12-30 07:16:11
Edited by sexiestballerina (216382) on 2009-12-30 07:36:54
I don't know how you can change anyone into believing anything but I think you should go for it before the Mormons, the Jehovah's Witnesses or other cults get her. I can now see why God says to bring God to others. The cults are rampant here. :P
Maybe you could explain faith like this: All religions are the same: God loves you for nothing in return and He forgives all of your sins. You are free to do whatever you would like to. :]
SIKKEY333 wrote:

She says I can not prove it

Will Durant's book, "Caesar and Christ- The Story of Civilization" says, "What evidence is there for Christ's existence? The earliest non-Christian reference occurs in Josephus' "Antiquities of the Jews" (A.D. 93?):
"At that time lived Jesus, a holy man, if man he may be called, for he performed wonderful works, and taught men, and joyfully received the truth. And he was followed by many Jews and many Greeks. He was the Messiah.*"
(*quoted on p. 281)"

Also, "The Devotional Bible: Experiencing The Heart of Jesus" www.amazon.com . . . is extraordinarily beautiful.
Page:
Page 2 of 2: 1 2

ReplySendWatch