Forum: Highland / Highland - Achievements

How to make and medal display board
By submum
On Sun Nov 15, 2009 07:19 PM

I have medals from medal tests, medals with and without ribbons. How do I make a relatively simple display board/case? I would like to keep the ribbons on.

Thanks.

7 Replies to How to make and medal display board

re: How to make and medal display board
By mom_2_3
On Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:18 PM
We've made two different kinds:
1) We bought a corkboard from our local office supply store and stapled scraps of tartan around the edges;
2) My husband cut a piece of plywood then I upholstered it in velvet (put a couple of layers of quilting batting on it and then pull a piece of velvet over it and staple it to the back).
Neither one took much time and the only tool that we really needed was a stapler!
By seaside_maidPremium member
On Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:15 AM
I covered some very stiff cardboard (bottom of a melon box) with some tartan (old skirt).

I was then able to sew my daughter's medals onto the board, through the cardboard

This means that they don't fall off and you can vacuum them using the soft brush attachment on your cleaner ..... only a Mother would think of the dusting!!!!!
By Bellheather
On Mon Nov 16, 2009 06:45 PM
We have two different ways to display our dd medals. Her competiton medals are in shadow boxes that we we able to get at a craft store and we then put labels underneath the medal with the date, competiton and placing.We bought a few so throughout the years they will match hanging on the wall.

With our dd exam medals and certificate we have found a framer that has made frames for the certifiate and then the medal is places in the frame so we know what medal goes with what exam.

Both were fairly inexpensive.
By punkqueeniemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:48 PM
There is a tutorial for them here: fresnohighlanddance.com . . .
By shakenturn
On Tue Nov 17, 2009 08:12 AM
Edited by shakenturn (142804) on 2009-11-17 08:18:49 add sentence
We use wooden freestanding shoe racks. Most of the medals in the US & Canada are on a ribbon to go around the neck. The wooden shoe racks have a wooden rod that we have looped the ribbon around so that that medals easily hang from them. For those medals without ribbons, we have used a strip of velcro that runs along the front wood molding of the rack and pieces of velcro on the back of each medal where they can be easily placed/or removed.
There are flat portions on the top of the shoe rack are used to display trophies.
By submum
On Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:16 AM
Thanks everyone for taking the time and giving suggestions. All were great and I now have some good ideas to craft one up for my dancer as a Christmas present.
By LeeAinsdancer
On Thu Nov 19, 2009 01:14 PM
We do something a little different from what is posted. We buy 2 small wooded shelf brackets at Home Depot or Lowes and a 4 foot wooded dowel, circumference large enough to hold about 25 medals. We drill a hole in the centre of each of the brackets large enough to put the dowel through. Hang the brackets on the wall about 3 to 3 and a half feet apart, slide the dowel through both brackets and you have a bar to hang your medals on.

ReplySendWatch