Forum: Irish / Good Luck, Congratulations, Thank You

Good Luck to Old Guy at the O (karma: 1)
By carolan
On Sun Nov 15, 2009 09:50 PM

I have followed your dance career through these boards and have been thrilled at what you have accomplished and in such a short time. You story has given me encouragement to start to dance again (even though I don't live near a dance school at present). I only have part time school since I live at a distance. I will say I have had a total of 3 dance teachers from the beginning. My first dance teacher told me it was abnormal for adults to dance about 15 times through each class. I eventually found another teacher who was very passive in her instruction technique. She would tell me "Just do it like that and you will be fine". I rarely placed when she told me to do it like that. We moved and I don't get to have Irish dance class often. But in my new move my new teacher treats me in the same way she treats championship dancers. She expects a lot and I am giving her everything I have. Unforntunately I don't get to have a lot of classes with her because of the distance I move, but i try to get a clasee about 4 to 5 times a year. But anyway, it would mean a lot to this struggling novice if you would post a video of your dancing on dance.net for my inspiration. Just think about it.

8 Replies to Good Luck to Old Guy at the O

re: Good Luck to Old Guy at the O
By KnotworkMolltPremium member
On Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:24 PM
I know your tribute will be as inspiring to Old_Guy as his story has been to you. As he contemplates his first oireachtas on Sunday, your admiration will assist him. A teacher told me, decades ago, that people whose feet don't touch the stage with ours are nonetheless with us there.

Old_Guy's journey as a dancer has been as much about sharing as about developing his own abilities. A lot of his success has come from his practice of yoga to develop strength and flexibility. He volunteers his time to offer a free class at our studio on Friday evenings and it has benefitted others of our dancers. His example and encouragement have helped others who would have ignored stretching and strengthening to benefit from a rigorous approach to the means of achieving their goals. As a Middle Eastern dance teacher, Suzanna Del Vecchio told me when I questioned her about stretching, "It's ridiculous to ask your body to do a move you're not physically capable of. Once you're capable of it, the move comes easily." We teachers may harp on things like turnout, cross and extension, but until the dancers have the physical means to do them, it won't happen.
By China_Doll
On Mon Nov 16, 2009 05:20 AM
GOOD LUCK OLD GUY!! Show em how it's done!
By ScullyPAmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Nov 16, 2009 08:31 AM
Yes, good luck good luck good luck!
By Crazy_Clairemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:22 AM
Good Luck Old_Guy! :)

Claire.
By Hop_123member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Nov 16, 2009 03:06 PM
Best of luck. We are all rooting for you! Have fun!
By irishdancingdog
On Mon Nov 16, 2009 04:40 PM
Good luck!
By iheartmysetmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:08 PM
I think I saw a picture of him dancing when I was looking through the ads from the WRO program!
By weemegan7
On Sat Jan 16, 2010 09:15 AM
good luck x

ReplySendWatch