Forum: Arts / Philosophy

Philosophy
"The only thing you can be certain of in life is that nothing is certain"
By GypsieFreemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1467, member since Wed Mar 01, 2006
On Wed Nov 18, 2009 07:05 PM

Agree/Disagree?

My exboyfriend joel and I got into this conversation earlier today... Joel thinks there are things in life you can be certain of, like that you're "meant to be" with someone or you're destined for certain things in life....Im not quite sure.
And if you are "meant to be" does being with someone limit your adventures and freedom?

I think that the fact that nothing is certain adds to the adventure in life.. I don't believe in "meant to be"; my life hasn't reflected that trend.. things are always changing, evolving, progressing. Or maybe, although that's the way it seems to me, what's really happening is that all the pieces are coming together, how they're "meant to be." hmm...

What are your thoughts on the subject?

6 Replies to "The only thing you can be certain of in life is that nothing is certain"

re: "The only thing you can be certain of in life is that nothing is certain"
By Snuffymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3386, member since Wed Jan 02, 2008
On Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:31 AM
Agree.

There are instances in which I might say that something was "meant to be", like "I was always meant to be an Irish dancer", but that kind of thing doesn't so much mean that one was put on this Earth solely to fulfill some purpose and to do it well. It means that there are some thing that are likely to work for certain people, and to bring them happiness, and given the person they've grown into, they're likely to need these things in order to feel complete and happy.

Then there are phrases like "it wasn't meant to be" which people say when something doesn't work out. I don't think something is either meant to be or not meant to be... it just is what it is, it happens how it happens, etc. There's cause and effect and things like that thrown in there too (and this is the only way in which I feel that anything happens for a reason - because it has a cause).

It would be nice to believe that some things are meant to be... but that rests on various other believes. The only thing that I'm certain of is that nothing is certain!
By schuhplattlerPremium member Comments: 3037, member since Sat Dec 23, 2006
On Tue Jan 05, 2010 05:48 PM

If that is true, then I can't be certain of that either - classic paradox.
By GypsieFreemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1467, member since Wed Mar 01, 2006
On Mon Mar 01, 2010 01:08 PM
Valid point!
By Sumayah Comments: 6875, member since Wed Nov 12, 2008
On Mon Mar 01, 2010 01:25 PM
My government teacher told me years ago that there were few constants in the world: wages never keep up with inflation and wars cause change. There were others as well but I for the life of me can't remember them. But those two statements (along with death and taxes befall us all) are truisms that you can be pretty certain about. Wars cause change. For a certainty I know this is true, never has a war been fought where everything is exactly as it was before.

So there are some things in life that are guaranteed - but not many.
By ChristinePremium member Comments: 6817, member since Wed Feb 04, 2009
On Mon Mar 01, 2010 09:34 PM
The only thing I believe is certain is

Death and Taxes!

Keep On Dancing
xoxo
By dancer_all_daymember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2326, member since Thu Feb 12, 2004
On Wed Mar 17, 2010 09:45 AM
I don't believe that people are born to be meant to do something. When something is "meant for someone" I think it is because of the accumulation of choices that lead to it that make it seem like "it was meant to be."

Like Topphilly said, the only thing that I know for 100% sure will happen no matter what is that we will all eventually die.

Taxes, however, may not be certain cause technically we have no idea how the government is going to change or who knows what could happen. It's something that technically could be altered and doesn't necessarily have to be constant. And besides, not every cutlure or society pays taxes.

ReplySendWatch