Forum: Ballet / Costumes

How to make a pantyhose bra (karma: 2)
By Arakmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Nov 19, 2009 08:45 AM

A pantyhose bra has been my answer to lots of costume problems, both in my own experience and for other people's. It's sheer, seamless, can be matched to skin tone, and can be cut to go under just about anything.

1. Get a pair of pantyhose (old or new) that would fit your bust as though it were your hips. On the back of the package where they have the size chart, find the smallest size that would fit your bust measurement - the height measurement doesn't matter. Or if you want it longer (because, say, your costume has a really low V in the back), get a larger size that fits your bust. Control top or not is your choice. Depends on how much support you think you need. You may also want to do a test run on an old pair of tights or something.

2. Cut the gusset out of the crotch. This is now the head hole.

3. Cut the legs off, leaving a few inches at the top. You'll probably cut a little more off later, but it's better to start with more material than you need. If your costume is strapless or one-shoulder, you may want to just slice off the entire bottom so you have a bandeau-style bra. In order to keep as much material as you can when doing this, remove the gusset as above and then slice across from the hole to either leg and cut both legs off without leaving any extra. You can always neaten up the top edge when you try it on.

4. Try it on. If you have the costume you're going to wear it under, try it on with the bra and see where it still shows, and cut accordingly. You may need a friend to help you. I don't recommend taking the bra off to cut, because it is so easy to cut too much, and then it won't support you. It's easier to see the results of what you're doing if you do it while it's stretched out.

5. If the waistband cinches too much (as control top tends to do) and makes the whole thing ride up, cut a small nick in it on either side and try it on again. Make the nicks slightly bigger until it behaves like it's supposed to.

6. Wear it with pride! :D

15 Replies to How to make a pantyhose bra

re: How to make a pantyhose bra
By taranne89
On Thu Nov 19, 2009 09:39 AM
this is fantastic! I am a bit more busty so I think this would be great under my costumes!
By Fayetmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:25 AM
This is actually very common at my studio..

if you leave the legs a bit longer (I cut them around the knee area) but follow all the other steps you have a treffic tool to make strappy leos winter compatible - warmth for my arms and back! And if you cut carefully it can still look professional - black pantyhose, black leo, noone knows it's not a real long-sleeved thing. Worked at least for me.. ;)

Plus it gives a pretty accent - black leo, green pantyhose, pink, white.. endless possibilies!
By arielizabeth
On Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:13 AM
Any tips on how to keep it from snagging and running after you cut it? I'm just afraid it might completely fall apart after I cut it!
On Thu Nov 19, 2009 01:13 PM
I've never had one fall apart. I have one currently that I wear under a couple of low-back leotards that have no support built in and I put it through the laundry and everything - no problems.
By nicole1992
On Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:31 PM
can someone post a picture of what it looks like laid out [obviously not you wearing it. LOL]? I'm having a hard time picturing someone wearing one of these with a low backed leo, because I've never encountered pantyhose or tights that don't have a seam right smack in the middle of the front and back areas of the hips...
By Snuffymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Nov 20, 2009 07:20 PM
What a clever idea! I've made tops out of tights (interesting ones, not pantyhose), but I'd never have thought of using pantyhose to make a bra for under a costume. *thumbs up*
By Balletdancer980
On Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:54 PM
so helpful!!!
By shamupops
On Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:06 PM
I didn't know other people did this!
My tip is, if you're making a strapless bandeau bra, wear it with the waistband part on top, otherwise it will roll down.
I never thought of making one for my low-back leotards/costumes! Thanks for the idea!
By Dance_L0vemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:32 AM
Sorry can someone explain to me what pantyhose are... I originally thought it was just a different name for tights but I guess not..

Also for low backed leotards, is the pantyhose on show or do you just wear the waist elastic bit really low and cut loads off the back but not the front...?

It sounds like a great idea though, I think I might try it :)
On Fri Dec 04, 2009 08:10 AM
Pantyhose are what women wear with their dressy or business clothes. Like tights, but thinner, and they often come in skin tones.

To do one for a low-backed costume or leotard, you would cut it so the waistband sits as far down as possible and just cut straight down the back until it's not showing anymore (the cut will stretch out into a V). Next time I wear mine I'll try to remember to get pictures of it.
By Dance_L0vemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Fri Dec 04, 2009 08:47 AM
Ah okay I understand that now, thank you for clearing that up!
I just call those as well as what I wear for ballet, tights. I've got lots of skin coloured ones I used to wear which now have holes in them so I'll try this with them.
By Mickay
On Wed May 12, 2021 07:43 AM
This is a brilliant idea. I will try it for my daughter for her to use on her next event in roofing companies.
By Jeff_SEO
On Tue May 25, 2021 09:15 PM
Edited by Jeff_SEO (359082) on 2021-05-25 21:16:36
rochesterhvacexperts.com systems tend to wear out when the seasons change. As your home has different heating requirements, it strains your equipment. Most components require service after only a few years of use. Keep yours operating at its best with Rochester HVAC today.
By Jeff_SEO
On Tue Jun 15, 2021 06:31 AM
<a href="http://www.syracusetreecare.com/">tree removal syracuse new york</a> offers tree removal and trimming services in Syracuse NY and the surrounding area. We offer complete care for your entire tree needs.
By Bryt
On Sat Jun 19, 2021 06:05 AM
Thanks for this idea, I will do it with my 12 year old daughter. See loves dancing and creating clothes.
Bryt from trois rivieres peintre en batiment
By maroso
On Sat Sep 04, 2021 06:48 AM
Edited by maroso (380516) on 2021-09-04 06:49:53 Wrong spelling
Edited by maroso (380516) on 2021-09-04 06:50:48 Wrong spelling
Edited by maroso (380516) on 2021-09-04 06:52:23 Wrong spelling
There is a lot of resources on google.
Rose

ReplySendWatch