Popular Teachers

Need help finding a title for choreography by darcey
... I need a Title for a Solo - the Title needs to let the audience and judges know - what the piece...

Forum: Advice / Strengthening

Strengthening
improving arabesque and degage. en>fr fr>en
By rebornballerino Comments: 69, member since Wed Nov 18, 2009
On Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:13 AM

ive only been dancing shortly(im a guy and about 4 months but im 18 and my teacher says it look like i have over a yr or two exp) and i have pretty good turnout(need to focus on turnout muscle and not manipulating knee, any tips?) and flexibilty cus my grand battemanrs are good and my hips to raise too much. but if i try to hold 90 degrees i start falling to one side and its hard to straighten and balance on standing leg. mybe im putting weight unevenly on foot and what can i do to strengthen so i can look graceful when i hold my legs out.

4 Replies to improving arabesque and degage.

re: improving arabesque and degage. en>fr fr>en
By Arakmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 18113, member since Sun Aug 13, 2000
On Thu Nov 19, 2009 01:07 PM
Practice.

It's only been a few months. This stuff doesn't come together overnight.
By rebornballerino Comments: 69, member since Wed Nov 18, 2009
On Thu Nov 19, 2009 01:45 PM
ya ur right..maybe ive not been resting enough to allow my muscles and joints to relax and repair.
By luvdance17member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 111, member since Sun Apr 19, 2009
On Thu Nov 19, 2009 03:33 PM
One thing that helps me check on my turnout to make sure I'm not forcing it is to do a bit of barre on a very smooth floor. That way I cannot use the friction of my foot against a more sticky floor to hold my turnout in place by force, thereby twisting my knee. (I don't know if that made sense, but oh well :) )

For developpe to the side, make sure you start with a really straight and lifted standing leg and then do NOT let it go at all while you develop the working leg. Also try not to clench up in the hip joint of the working leg and make sure your weight is over the ball/toes of your standing foot :)

It'll take time, but it's worth it!
By AlwaysOnStagePremium member Comments: 7287, member since Sun Apr 18, 2004
On Thu Nov 19, 2009 04:00 PM
Also remember: for the most part--BALLET ISN"T NATURAL. So, as a beginner, you're going to be doing some things wrong. You are going to be making mistakes and the only REAL way to correct them for sure is to go back enough to learn all about your mistakes and how to correct them. Of course you can read up on how to make sure you don't over-turnout, and how to move your legs without affecting your hips--but the only way to know you're doing it right is to go to class and get feedback.

Keep going to class, and give it 100%. You'll be great.

ReplySendWatch