Forum: General / Ballroom / Salsa

Salsa
What style of shoes do you wear for salsa?
By kattheballerina Comments: 60, member since Sun Oct 26, 2008
On Sat Nov 21, 2009 04:05 PM

Im interested to know, and I would like some advice.

I currently wear a pair of black satin t-bar open toe sandals by Supadance. But I dont like them - they're sibling hand me downs (never worn, but well..I can see why). The only nice thing about them is that they have a strip of diamante down the t bar. But this does not save them.

So I am looking for a new pair and I am SO picky, I have a picture in my head and so far the only pair that come close are a pair of character shoes with 3 inch heel. I cant wear open toes as my feet just slip through, unfortunately.

Here they are:
www.discountdance.com . . .

Can you wear character shoes for salsa / latin?

Kat

7 Replies to What style of shoes do you wear for salsa?

re: What style of shoes do you wear for salsa?
By Eric619member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 132, member since Fri Nov 20, 2009
On Sat Nov 21, 2009 04:20 PM
You can wear character shoes in salsa dancing, as long as its got a good hard heel and sole, and as long as you can move comfortably in them
By Eric619member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 132, member since Fri Nov 20, 2009
On Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:46 AM
Even though I don't salsa dance, i'd probably wear these shoes:

www.latinshoes.net . . .
By Tiggerpants Comments: 933, member since Fri Jan 05, 2007
On Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:26 AM
I've done a little bit of Salsa and I've done it in varying styles of shoes that all worked pretty well for me. I've used character shoes, open toed latin shoes and if I've had a hard day teaching I'm not totally opposed to wearing dance sneakers for the sheer comfort factor. I'm guessing the character shoes are more of an option for you. You could also look at close toes latin shoes for something a bit more fancy? www.featherliteshoes.com . . . something like that?

xXx
By barrefly Comments: 682, member since Sun Apr 18, 2004
On Mon Nov 30, 2009 06:25 PM
Edited by barrefly (90848) on 2009-11-30 18:26:24
My 15 yr. old daughter is a pro. level salsa dancers. She gets her practice shoes her....
www.veryfineshoes.com
She gets 2 pairs for the price of one. Also, she wears 2 1/2 heels. Occasionally a 3 inch heel for special performances.
By kattheballerina Comments: 60, member since Sun Oct 26, 2008
On Fri Dec 04, 2009 06:02 PM
I am going to look at both of those links - thank you both! Seeing as I have exhausted the ranges Supadance, Freed, Dance Internatonal et al...I so so picky. They have to be perfect!
I saw some nice shoes today that I would love to dance in but they were street shoes and very unflexible. :( I usually go highest heel, looks better on me.

Pro level? Sounds amazing Barrefly! How long did it take her to get there?
By QueenChaCha Comments: 20, member since Wed Dec 23, 2009
On Fri Jan 22, 2010 04:43 PM
It is interesting that you ask this question, as it seems to be a point of contention between people at my studio.

I wear t bar shoes, like you, and they are 2.5 inches high, i like how they force me to be on my toes. try dance4less.com they are great with shoes and ship very quickly in my experience.

hope that helps.
By thefonz1 Comments: 28, member since Sat Jan 16, 2010
On Fri Jan 22, 2010 05:54 PM
The type of shoes that have the three inch heels and that are comfortable to move around in.I love salsa dancing.Thanks

ReplySendWatch