Forum: General / Jazz / Jazz - Beginners

My daughter is looking for some advice to improve her dancing
By Ceacea
On Mon Nov 23, 2009 07:39 PM

My daughter started dancing about 6 months ago and she competed her first solo yesterday. Her scores were very low and she now feels discouraged. I was hoping to get some advice on how she can improve the specific things that need it. Here is the link to a video of her routine. Any advice would be so greatly appreciated as she really enjoys dancing and wants to continue getting better. Thanks so much in advance.

1 Replies to My daughter is looking for some advice to improve her dancing

re: My daughter is looking for some advice to improve her dancing
By AlwaysOnStagePremium member
On Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:35 AM
1) No link
2) She's a beginner...of COURSE she's getting low scores. I'm surprised she's competing this early! It seems to me that the first few years are so important for laying the foundation of teachnique that competing would just split her focus. I'd ask her and yourself if competing is what's going to make her the best dancer RIGHT NOW. Competing in the future when she's had a few years of technique is very different...and it can be a lot more helpful then.
3) All beginners have a lot of mistakes...lots of things to fix. YOu have to choose the order in which you want to tackle these problems. For example:
Flexibility
Leg Strength (for jumps/leaps)
Core Strength (for balance/positions)
Arm Strength (for presentation/inversions)
Balance (Obvious)
Turns
Leg Extensions (For some turns, balances and leaps)
Musicality
Body Positioning
Weight Distribution

ALL dancers have to work on ALL of them, but beginners have to work more on all of them. So, maybe you say 'for the next 6 months we are going to work on flexibility, weight distribution, balance, and core strength. The next six months is flexibility, leg extensions, leg strength and body positioning.' Trying to fix everything at once doesn't happen for a very long time...trying to do it all now will OVERLOAD the both of you.

ReplySendWatch