Popular Teachers

Age 11 Novice Jazz Group Music Needed! by missrobyn87
Hi everyone! I've been searching for weeks for competition music and I only have one routine left

Forum: Jazz / Jazz - Beginners

Page:
Page 1 of 21 2
Jazz - Beginners
My daughter is looking for some advice to improve her dancing en>fr fr>en
By Ceacea Comments: 3, member since Mon Nov 23, 2009
On Mon Nov 23, 2009 07:40 PM
Edited by Ceacea (218248) on 2009-11-23 19:41:54 Can't post link.
Edited by oz_helen (35388) on 2009-11-23 22:35:46 edited out email address - you should be able to link to a youtube video or similar.

My daughter started dancing about 6 months ago and she competed her first solo yesterday. Her scores were very low and she now feels discouraged. I was hoping to get some advice on how she can improve the specific things that need it. Here is the link to a video of her routine. Any advice would be so greatly appreciated as she really enjoys dancing and wants to continue getting better. Thanks so much in advance.

I see that I can't post links as I am not yet a full member. If anyone can help please email me at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx and I can send the link that way.

29 Replies to My daughter is looking for some advice to improve her dancing

re: My daughter is looking for some advice to improve her dancing en>fr fr>en
By Ceacea Comments: 3, member since Mon Nov 23, 2009
On Tue Nov 24, 2009 04:37 AM
Thank you so much! Here is the link.

www.youtube.com . . .
By Jennifer71 Comments: 687, member since Sun Jan 25, 2004
On Tue Nov 24, 2009 05:59 AM
It seems very early to me to have a dancer who just began dancing six months ago do a competition solo. There are so many jazz basics to learn that it seems to me better to concentrate on learning those first rather than spending time learning and practicing a solo.

Your daughter will continue to improve by taking regular classes. I don't know how many classes she takes a week, but if it is only one or two then adding another couple of classes would help her a lot.
By darklove Comments: 26, member since Sat Sep 12, 2009
On Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:07 PM
I agree with Jennifer. 6 months of dancing is probably a little early to start competing. If she works hard and waites a while she will do better at competitions, get better scores and competing will be even more fun. Best wishes:)
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5018, member since Sat Sep 29, 2007
On Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:29 PM
Ceacea wrote:

Thank you so much! Here is the link.

www.youtube.com . . .

o.0

I jealous. She did a very nice switch Russian and a very nice switch leaps(she needs to point her toes, though) - things I did not learn until I had been dancing for 10 years. But technique classes are the only things that will help her improve. I also think that it is too soon for a competition.
By hummingbird Comments: 8370, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Tue Nov 24, 2009 02:11 PM
The dance was too advanced for her, a beginner dancer needs a beginner dance. Her teacher really needs to show the things she has mastered, all that they did here was give her steps that no one in six months is going to have perfected. An adjudicator has no choice but to mark her on what she see's on the day, they have no background information that lets them know that the performer has only been learning for X amount of time.

She has some very nice elements to her dancing that will help her like flexibility and nicely arched feet, but she needs more core strength, she needs to use her feet when landing from her jumps and to use her head in her turns, amongst other things. These will come in time and with her technique classes she'll improve, just tell her not to be too discouraged, this was only her first competition and only her first year of dancing.
By dancetoexpressmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 143, member since Sun Nov 30, 2008
On Tue Nov 24, 2009 09:16 PM
Your daughter is very talented, seeing as she has only been taking classes for 6 months! The best way she can improve is to continue to work hard! It takes time, but if she has the patience, she will definitely see great improvement. Also, I agree with everything the above posters have stated! Congrats to your daughter on a job well done for her first solo piece!
By Snuffymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3386, member since Wed Jan 02, 2008
On Tue Nov 24, 2009 09:57 PM
I think she shows a lot of potential, but I agree with the others that it's a bit soon to be competing, especially with a dance like that. Kudos to her for getting up there and doing it, and I hope that she doesn't let this initial discouragement put her off doing what she loves in the future. :)

There are a few moves in there which I'm impressed that she can do, but it's the basics that she needs to work on polishing first.

While I did jazz when I was younger, my primary form of dance these days is Irish, but I have some advice from competitive Irish dance that should be just as relevant to what your daughter does: They say that the best dancers - the champions - should be able to do the simplest dance and make it look amazing. The fancy moves are just the icing on the cake. It's better to do a simple dance really, really well, then to do an average performance of something technically challenging. So, take the time to really get the basics down, and work up from there. This is where she'll improve on her technique, and this will carry over into all the moves that she learns from there on. Those jumps and things that she's doing now will look fabulous once she improves on the basic technique behind it all.

Lastly, let her know that the journey is just as important (if not more important!) than the destination. She may feel discouraged now, but if she works hard, practises, gets her technique looking good and polished, etc, she'll soon find herself moving up and scoring better. You can't enjoy these little victories if you start at the top! One step at a time, so to speak. Things will only get better, and I can see from the video that she has talent. :)

Best of luck to her!
By Jennifer71 Comments: 687, member since Sun Jan 25, 2004
On Thu Nov 26, 2009 08:08 AM
I think hummingbird was right, that this dance was too difficult for the dancer. For example, we can see in the video that the pirouette is not being done with proper technique but the teacher has still decided to combine this move with a jump.

It's also only when you are technically confident with the dance you are doing that you can really concentrate on artistic expression.
By c58sgreat Comments: 81, member since Mon Dec 07, 2009
On Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:24 AM
She really does have a lot of natural talent, ballet classes would help ground her technique and give her a great foundation to build off of. But perhaps part of the reason for her not doing so well is the actual choreography? The music is slow (not necessarily appropriate for jazz unless the dancer is extremely technical), and very disjointed.
By dancegirl300member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 203, member since Sun Jul 19, 2009
On Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:15 PM
Hi there. I am a 13 yearold and would like to give my view on the subject. I started competeing around 4th grade. I wasn't very good then, but I am pretty good now. Your daughterneeds to realize that points mean nothing. They are just a group of numbers put together to make you see if you are able to improve or not. My first production got pretty high scores, but now that I look back, it wasn't as good as I remember it.

Some tips are to encourage her to fight for it. Don't force her, but encourage. There is a big difference. Show her that stretching and practing basic steps can help out on the bigger things to. It also sounds like she needs help on growing self confidence. When she is up on stage she needs to be herself, unless she is in musical theater. The best thing that she can do before she goes in stage is ask herself " Why did I even start ancing?" That will help her A LOT.

Remember this is coming for a young dancer too. I have been what she has been through.
By panicmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11509, member since Thu Dec 16, 2004
On Sun Jan 03, 2010 01:01 AM
I don't think it's too early to compete as long as you keep your goals in perspective. Going to comps can be very encouraging for new dancers (can also be very intimidating *shrug*).

I can tell that she has gymnastics experience, which can have both good and bad consequences when switching to dance.

Speaking as a judge, I would tell you to pick 2 or 3 BASIC movements, and really clean up the technique. The pirouette would be a great place to start. Although she is clearly talented, the technique was consistently (and understandably) sloppy. And I think the quickest way to increase her score would be to focus heavily on a few key movements rather than just running the entire piece over and over.

Great start though. Keep up the hard work!!
By heyjude1252 Comments: 28, member since Sat Nov 10, 2007
On Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:51 AM
I agree with Hummingbird. Dance takes practice, patience and persistence. Even as a teacher, I am still learning. :) And yes, a little positive reinforcement goes a long way!
By LCSmallwood Comments: 20, member since Mon Mar 16, 2009
On Mon Jan 25, 2010 07:25 PM
She certainly has conquered some of the "difficult tricks" for a beginner!! I would guess she has a background in gymnastics. While her strength is certainly an asset, her flexibility needs some work. By flexibility, I mean the freedom to move her torso and let her head really follow her arms. She needs to feel what she is trying to express... and then let it out. I would also recommend some work on the feet. She has nice lines, but she does not pointe all the way through her foot, which can ruin even the best lines! Over all, if that is where she is after 6 months - I can't wait to see her in a few years! She has the talent. Now is the fun part - dance!!! Do not just show steps - feel them- and move through them!! Keep up the great work!! Best of luck! :)
By baletrina Comments: 20, member since Mon Feb 04, 2008
On Mon Feb 01, 2010 01:35 PM
Hummingbird is right. Although we would all love to get on stage doing 5 pirouettes and switch leaps seeing them with improper technique takes away from the movement. Focus on what she can do properly and not on the "tricks" to win.

Ballet and pilates would be my suggestions as to improve her overall technique. Taking jazz all the time will not help her with the basic body carriage, pointed feet and turnout that ballet emphasizes.

Great work for 6 months of lessons! Don't be discouraged as a competition is 3 judges opinions of you at one time in your life. If you believe in yourself you will succeed! :)
By T_Dance_Girl Comments: 218, member since Tue Jun 30, 2009
On Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:23 AM
To only be dancing 6 months doing a solo is amazing that means she is doing good, but I do think it is early for her to be doing so.

Stretch your legs, point toes really hard, smile, and have a lot of fun. Her technique will come in time and when she takes more classes, just work hard on it and be confident, it will come.

Good luck, awsome dancing. - T.
By dancelover269 Comments: 132, member since Wed Nov 04, 2009
On Sun Feb 28, 2010 03:00 PM
oh my gosh she does not look 11 she looks like 14 !!!lol! she has really good leaps but the only thing is she needs to point her feet and work on turning because 1 pirouette turn isnt very good for a competition but the major thing is just working on your arms being in the right positions and not just being thrown around but for 6 months this is pretty good :)I think the worst part about it was the choreography which isnt your fault!! dont be upset because you didnt score well when youve only been dancing for 6 months nobody is very good there first year!!! :)!
By Pushy_Stage_Mama Comments: 9, member since Sat Mar 07, 2009
On Tue Mar 30, 2010 06:43 AM
I think that Sydney did a fine job for her first solo, especially after only 6 months of dancing! I can understand people saying "it's too soon for her to compete" but you know what? I think the earlier the better, the onstage experience and critiques she will get will make her a better dancer.

what I see in Sydney is potential. She has nice elevation, did a lovely russian and some nice elements. She needs to think less and relax more, and ALWAYS stretch and point those feet!
Work on those pirouettes too! My girls are lucky that the studio they go to work really hard on their technique.
By melissaga Comments: 176, member since Sun Feb 14, 2010
On Sat Apr 10, 2010 09:16 AM
Wow! Very impressive for 6 months!

I realize this is an older post, but hope that she is taking ballet as well as jazz. Her dance was very lyrical/modern in nature. Her turns in particular would benefit greatly from a stronger base in ballet. I noticed she held her hands the same way one of dd's classmates does.. this classmate is an elite gymnast as well.

I was hoping to see a more recent video. Has she performed this number again?

Anyway, if she can fit it into her schedule, adding a few ballet classes will help both her jazz dancing and her floor and beam work. She is one talented kid!
By LDFdancer Comments: 26, member since Wed Jul 04, 2007
On Mon Apr 12, 2010 02:15 AM
ballet classes, as many have pointed out, will help a lot with technique, which is primarily what will help the scores improve.

Also, she really needs to connect her movements. There are quite a few moments where she stops and regroups and stands there for maybe a count and then preps into the next move. Just work on smoothing out the transitions.

Overall, it's very good for only six months of dance and her first competition. It's just about continuing to learn and polish. Stuff that comes with time & practice. Encourage her to continue because she does have potential.
By luv2plie Comments: 1880, member since Wed Jul 16, 2003
On Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:32 PM
She has potential!!!! If she took a ballet class along with her jazz class, her techique would be cleaner. Just remember that she is a beginner and it takes times to become a good dancer!

Tell her to keep working hard and TAKE ballet ! Ballet just make a dancer more well rounded!

Kev
By tonihowe Comments: 32, member since Sat Sep 19, 2009
On Mon Apr 26, 2010 05:55 AM
I would suggest putting her into a ballet class along with jazz. She has alot of power and strength, aswell as leg flexibility.
The main things to improve are leg line and flow/fluidity of movements.
If she has come from a background of gymnastics/cheerleading this would cause the lack of flow as gymnastics/cheer routines have that much more jerky/choreographed look. Ballet will help over come this as it uses much more flowing arm and upper body movements.
The ballet will help improve leg line too.

Things she can practice at home is develope leg lifts (all directions) focusing on extending the leg fully and pointing toes (the whole leg should feel tight). And pirouettes.
Then work at the other moves focusing on the extended leg and pointed toes. Especially leaps.
On Mon Apr 26, 2010 06:24 AM
Edited by Pushy_Stage_Mama (208633) on 2010-04-26 06:38:13 forgot name
This free video is awesome and really helped my daughters. It's called "Stunning feet fast"

This site has quite a few really helpful videos - all free. Better pointe, better bahrani's, all sorts of great stuff for dancers.

www.rgdancelearningtools.com . . .
On Mon Apr 26, 2010 06:26 AM
Edited by Pushy_Stage_Mama (208633) on 2010-04-26 06:32:32
sorry I'm just looking for what I've done with the link! ;)

This one is from a great conditionning DVD my girls have called "RGDANCE Mind and Body Conditionning"

Here's a clip
web.mac.com . . .
By MuffinHeadmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5167, member since Thu Jun 10, 2004
On Wed Apr 28, 2010 09:23 PM
If she's not currently in a ballet class. Then get her into at least one or two. It will clean up her technique immensely. She looks very talented-- but her technique is sloppy... and she's holding back.

Tell her that when she does ANY movement to follow through. She's stopping. It's like a robot. She needs to complete everything she does and just let go of herself.
Page:
Page 1 of 21 2

ReplySendWatch