Forum: Highland / Highland Photos - Members

Highland Photos - Members
What a difference a year makes
By elaina16member has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 901, member since Mon Aug 14, 2006
On Tue Nov 24, 2009 04:23 PM
Edited by elaina16 (165043) on 2009-11-24 16:27:09

I finally got a picture of Taylor on Sunday in her leap. Her body is very forward however, but good height. She is now very aware of how her body leans during her dancing with the picture I took. It happens quite a bit and not just when she is leaping. Anyone got suggestions she is currently 9 years old. First picture is Sunday, and second picture is a year ago (still taken off a video).

7 Replies to What a difference a year makes

re: What a difference a year makes
By scottiedog440 Comments: 1877, member since Thu Jun 21, 2007
On Tue Nov 24, 2009 06:00 PM
My daughter does this on occasion because she is also a cheerleader and their leaps are forward and bent at the waist for toe touching. She has to remember to push her hip bones forward for Highland and keep her head up. We have her do tiny leaps striaght up for warm up to get her brain thinking straight and not forward. Care must be taken with a forward leap, potential for injury is great. Many girls want those huge leaps and I believe that most judges would rather see a smaller correct leap than a big incorrect one. Remember to keep kness to the ceiling and that will help too. Good luck!
By Rockstep Comments: 594, member since Fri Sep 02, 2005
On Tue Nov 24, 2009 06:14 PM
Love that you caught her leap smiling.
By elaina16member has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 901, member since Mon Aug 14, 2006
On Tue Nov 24, 2009 06:15 PM
Edited by elaina16 (165043) on 2009-11-24 18:17:01 Additional info
I really think you are right. She also does competition Jazz and in that they are forward in the leaps. I have told her that I would like to see her body straight before the height. It may help if we did some small leaps before she goes on to get her conditioned for it. It is strange because in jazz the teacher is always saying to her body more forward in you leaps.

^^ she smiles all the time while dancing, including her sword, and even her conditioning 12 step fling.
By Tartanmum Comments: 609, member since Thu Dec 06, 2007
On Wed Nov 25, 2009 09:52 AM
She looks like a lovely dancer with a beautiful smile. Well done. Mom should be pretty proud!
By Star77member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2018, member since Fri Jul 23, 2004
On Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:42 AM
Congratulations to your dancer! Besides the increas in size, I see improvement in turnout (her knees are facing the ceiling more in the recent picture) and she has both toes nicely pointed. The body will improve as she increases her core strength. She's still very young so it will simply improve with time.

Good job!
By kellyadam Comments: 256, member since Fri Mar 16, 2007
On Sat Nov 28, 2009 05:49 PM
Aww wow, she looks like she really enjpys it, that's lovely to see :) And she's obviously been working hard :)
You said she leans forward quite a bit. Have you tried the standing against a door/wall exercise?? My teacher used to have us do it quite often, helps strengthen tummy muscles to make good posture. Stand against a door/wall with feet in first position, heels against wall, arms in third position, back and arms against wall. Maybe for 1 minute to begin with + keep upping time of standing every other day. Hope this makes sense it's quite late :)

xx
By BigAlsMom Comments: 277, member since Thu Sep 06, 2007
On Tue Dec 01, 2009 02:43 PM
You might consider some ballet for your daughter. It will help to strengthen her core muscles and keep her upright and vertical during leaps. It will also teach her proper body placement and help prevent injury.

ReplySendWatch