Forum: Arts / Books

Nook vs. Kindle
By razzlebaby
On Sat Dec 05, 2009 08:21 PM

Does anyone have a Kindle or a Nook? Do you like it? Which one is better? What don't you like about it? I'm really seriously considering buying one of the two and I'd love some feedback.
Thanks!
Razz

12 Replies to Nook vs. Kindle

re: Nook vs. Kindle
By panicmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat Dec 05, 2009 09:23 PM
No one I know has a nook. I haven't even seen any reviews yet. Anyway, they're out of stock until the middle of January.
By EStarmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Dec 06, 2009 08:40 AM
Ugh ugh UGHHH. Real books win. :D
By staygold123
On Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:40 AM
My mom has a Kindle and she loves it. I think they are about the same price (I'm not sure) I know that on the Kindle you can make the font bigger or smaller (same with the nook), listen to music (I don't know about the nook), and read magazines, blogs, newpaper articles in addition to books (you can't read blogs on the nook.) And like Panic said, the Nook isn't available until way after Christmas.
By razzlebaby
On Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:19 PM
^I know, EStar, I love the feel of a real book, but I have this really bad habit of spending alllll my money on books right away... I have zero willpower. :P On top of that I'm SUPER impatient, so I can't bring myself to wait for my local library to purchase, process, and shelve it when I could just so easily slip over to Barnes and Noble and buy it. I figured investing in a Nook or Kindle would at least give me a discount, and end up saving me money in the long run.
re: Nook vs. Kindle (karma: 1)
By EStarmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Dec 06, 2009 02:24 PM
^ Yeah, I gotcha. Aren't they really expensive though? It's a cool little gadget, I just can't imagine anything ever replacing books. I mean you're just reading it on a little screen, what happened to turning real pages, and the feel and smell of the book?
I just hope electronics won't ever take over books. That would be a sad, sad day.
And now I'm done with my rant. I promise. :P
/hijack.
By Odessamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Dec 06, 2009 02:45 PM
EStar wrote:

I just hope electronics won't ever take over books. That would be a sad, sad day.

Remember a few years ago when all the music purists were wringing their hands about mp3's taking over from CD's? And now vinyl records (you know, those big, black, flat things with grooves cut into them?) are having a renaissance?

I don't think electronic readers will ever take over from real, actual, paper and glue books. But in the same way as it's far easier to take an iPod with 3000 songs on a 6 month trip around the world instead of 40 CD's and a CD Walkman, I think that a device like a Kindle will make it much easier to take your favourite books places that they'd normally be too heavy or impractical to cart around. But books will always be popular. Imagine trying to cram a coffee table book filled with wildlife photographs, into a Kindle? It just wouldn't work. Books aren't going anywhere.

Erin.
::righteous babe::
By Miss_Tami_Leemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun Dec 06, 2009 04:19 PM
I work at Barnes & Noble, so I've gotten to olay with the Nook quite a bit. One of the huge advantages of the Nook is that it has a touchscreen display as opposed to the 'regular' keyboard of the Kindle. You can do so much with that little touchscreen! I'm not sure about the Kindle, but the Nook as the option of expanding the storage capacity. Plus there are tons of free books, and you can borrow books for 2 weeks from friends who also have the Nook.
I hope that helped, if you have any more questions feel free to ask :)
By CaffeinePremium member
On Sun Dec 06, 2009 04:42 PM
There are other ebook readers out there beside a Nook or Kindle.

I use an old PalmPilot, with the ebooks in .pdb format. While it may not be the latest technology, it works a treat, is small enough to fit into my handbag and I've got thousands of books for it. It's also battery powered, so you never have to worry about finding the right a power outlet for it.

This link provides a good comparison of all the common dedicated e-readers on the market today: wiki.mobileread.com . . .
By razzlebaby
On Sun Dec 06, 2009 05:24 PM
Oh, thanks for the link!
By YumYumDoughnutPremium member
On Sun Dec 06, 2009 05:33 PM
If they started to replace textbooks with this, it would save me thousands of dollars a year :P

That being said...I would miss highligtening my textbooks.
By Spiorad
On Sun Dec 06, 2009 07:03 PM
I got to play around with my uncle's kindle all summer and absolutely loved it!

I loved how you can get it to define any word you don't know because it has a built in dictionary. And I love being able to annotate books but I was wondering how that was going to work with the kindle and it works great!

Basically you can add notes to any page and if there is a note it tells you so you can look at it or just ignore it. And there is a quick selection from the menu button that will take you to a little page with all your notes on it and from there you can read or edit them or go to the page the note is from.

There are a tone of other great features too!

I was actually asking for one for my birthday but then asked my dad to just wait because with Uni I've just been so busy I haven't had a chance to read as much as usual. :( sad day!

Let us know what you decide!
By Meganmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:00 AM
I don't have either but I wanted to say that I think an ebook reader is a fantastic idea for those of us who travel. A couple summers ago, I spent three months living out of a 65-litre backpack (in two climates- winter in southern Africa and summer in Spain) and literally half of that was taken up by books (and by the end I was carting around a shopping bag full too.) It would have been amazing to have had ebooks at that time. I had audiobooks but it's just different.

ReplySendWatch