Computers - GeneralHow to ask for tech help (karma: 3)
By KiwiMoo Comments: 670, member since Sun Jan 19, 2003
On Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:01 PM
Made sticky by TheMidlakeMuse (78507) on 2009-12-10 13:49:27 stickyfied!
I always peruse this board in the hope I might be able to help, only to find vague, incomplete posts, that barely describe the problem. So, in an effort to be able to offer better help, here's a few things you might want to include in your post.
- What is it? A laptop? Desktop? iPod? Cell phone? If possible, include the model (iPod Nano, Treo Pro, etc)
- If a laptop/desktop, please tell us which operating system you're running (Windows, OSX, Linux, etc)
- What happened right before? Was there any sound? Any symptom? Anything out of the ordinary?
- What had you done before the issue? Had you just installed new software? Synched with your computer? Reinstalled everything? Dropped it, kicked it, gotten it wet?
- Include as much information as possible. Don't come back 2 days later, after everyone's given great suggestions based on the limited information you've given, to drop a new important tidbit.
- Finally, is it plugged in?
Also, please remember that everyone's here to help; we can't read your mind, or magically know what's wrong unless we have all the available information. Troubleshooting tech stuff is hard enough as it is, and even more so when done remotely.