Forum: Advice / Pilates/Yoga

First Time Doing Hot Yoga. Tips?
By PinUpGirlmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Dec 10, 2009 02:39 PM
Locked by PinUpGirl (33197) on 2010-02-02 11:32:45 Been there, done that, didn't die. :D

Sunday morning I'm going to take my first hot yoga class. I've heard great things about the studio and the class, so I'm looking forward to it. I know I need to bring water and be well hydrated beforehand. I'm also planning on bringing a towel. Any other tips or advice for a first timer?

14 Replies to First Time Doing Hot Yoga. Tips?

re: First Time Doing Hot Yoga. Tips?
By TheMidlakeMusemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Dec 10, 2009 02:49 PM
I haven't done it, but my sister is addicted. She said the first class, she didn't make it through the entire flow. She had to sit out the last half just because she felt so miserable. The next class, she did great and has loved it ever since. Just expect it to be a shock to the system at first, because even in Houston it was a little TOO hot and humid for her!

Dani
By Kekoamember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Dec 10, 2009 03:07 PM
Remember...you can always go to child's pose if you're getting tired. Drink water like you're dying of dehydration. Bring a big towel to cover the mat, and keep a smaller towel nearby to wipe your hands and feet when they start to sweat. It's only really uncomfortable until you start sweating. Once that sweat starts pouring, you'll feel a LOT better.
By AlwaysOnStagePremium member
On Thu Dec 10, 2009 03:11 PM
As a side note, I know when I am surrounded by heat and sweat, I begin to feel like I'm suffocating. I think this comes from feeling like my skin isn't breathing. When in doubt, find a restful position: Child's pose or another constructive rest position and BREATHE. The body can get confused and freak out. So long as you can put yourself in a 'safe' position and breathe, then you'll be good.

Tell us how it goes!
By webstArmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Dec 10, 2009 03:15 PM
Hot yoga = LOVE!

Be warned, it can be pretty intense your first few times. There were a few moments my first few times where I started to feel really light-headed, but by focusing on breathing, or laying down, I was able to get back to normal and try again. The last thing you should do is leave the class. Opening the door is very disruptive to the class, but also to your body. It's better to stay in the heat to get used to it.

Definitely hydrate well beforehand, and bring water with you. A towel to cover you mat is a MUST, otherwise you'll be slipping around all over the place.

I'd also arrive early, so that you can go in a few minutes early and get your body adjusted to the heat before you start doing anything crazy.
On Thu Dec 10, 2009 07:33 PM
Thanks ladies! I opted for the 90 minute class because they said that's how it's really supposed to be done. I figure I may want to die about half an hour into it, but I won't be afraid to go into child or down dog and take some time to breathe and get back into it. I'll also be sure to tell the teacher it's my first time so maybe she can keep an eye on me as well.
By Danamember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Dec 10, 2009 08:06 PM
Don't eat much beforehand. Otherwise the urge to vom might just overcome you!

Also, don't be nervous about wearing very little clothing - most people at the class I go to at home wear a sports bra and shorts, no matter their body type. It's just THAT hot.
On Fri Dec 11, 2009 07:10 AM
Oooh, didn't think about going light on the clothes.

The class is at 9am, so I think I'm just gonna roll out of bed and head straight to class. I'll eat (maybe) afterwards.
By Coccinellamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Dec 11, 2009 07:46 AM
I've done it three or four times but in the end I decided it was too darn hot for me. I already am a bit prone to fainting so I figured I shouldn't push it. Wear very light clothes. Men usually just wear bathing suits. I'd wear a leotard and shorts or a workout top and shorts. Everything you wear will be soaked so bring a full change of clothes. Bring your mat as well as a towel for sweat and a larger towel for under your mat. The studio I went to had a carpet floor which is a bit yucky so I found I didn't really want to touch it with my hands. Your floor may be the same as I think it is to avoid slip and fall accidents.

Have fun!
On Mon Dec 14, 2009 07:38 AM
Well, I didn't make it because the weather was a bit suspect. It was rainy, but teetering on freezing so I didn't want to risk driving 15 miles one way. Not sure when I'll get another chance. Possibly 430 on Saturday if the wedding reception wraps up when I think it will. I'll also be in the area already so it won't be as big of a trek.
On Wed Dec 16, 2009 08:22 AM
I'm going tonight. I admit, I'm more than a little nervous.
By Coccinellamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Dec 16, 2009 09:59 AM
Good luck! I just found out that thee is a place in my class that offers both a reduced length class, 60 minutes, and a reduced heat class. I wish they had that before!
By DancinDiva2005member has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:08 AM
Edited by DancinDiva2005 (17591) on 2009-12-29 00:16:10
I've never heard of Hot Yoga before now..please post on how it went afterward. I'm intrigued..

--Oh also, do you have to be more advanced to do this form? I just googled it and found a few locations near where I live back home..
On Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:08 AM
I FINALLY made it this morning. It wasn't anything like I'd worked myself up for. I was having visions of a full flow class in a super hot room (which they do offer). Fact was, the room didn't seem that hot and the poses were more static. I definitely worked up a sweat and my muscles felt awesome afterward. I can see this easily becoming a habit, especially since there's an awesome coffee shop right next door.

There were some poses I hadn't encountered before, but the teacher was really accomodating. She encouraged the new people to just watch some of the poses if we weren't familiar. She also let us finish savasana (sp?) at our own pace. I tend to get fidgity at the end, so I also liked that.

I'm already looking forward to next week's class!
By AlexRae
On Sun Jan 10, 2010 07:13 PM
As you and others said hydration is key. I recommend taking it easy and really listening to how your body is feeling. My first time doing it I actually had to leave the room because I felt like I was going to faint. However I was totally unprepared and did not drink enough water. You will love it and are sure to go back for more.

ReplySendWatch

Message locked, no more replies allowed