Forum: Folk / Polynesian Dance

When You Realize Your Hard Work Is Paying Off
By Celebrianmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Dec 17, 2009 09:27 PM

I know I've dragged you all along on my journey. I was confident in Hula but not Tahitian. I want to thank you ladies here on in the Poly section of DDN for your willingness to share. You put up those posts on Tahitian dance and made me reevaluate my reasons for not practicing after I left Hawaii.

So last year about this time, I threw myself back into otea, remember? I was reluctant at first, sort of halfhearted but then it got addictive. The hard work has been paying off. I can shuffle across the floor with my tamau (some call it otamu) and I can go up on toes or flat foot, my faarapu is rounder and lasts a long time and I can go faster now. My figure 8 (varu) used to look horrid and felt awkward, but I have the hang of it and I feel better executing it now.

My afata is better, still needs big work and I still need major work on tiare (sorry, might not be the word you know it by, each halau has different terms, I know!), but at least going on right side it looks good, lol! I just feel much more confident now than I used to, and I stay flat foot all of the time unless I mean to go up on toes. The drums make sense to me and I find transitions easier in the middle of dancing. My latest achievement is jump-turning faarapu. Faarapu then jump-turn, continue faarapu, jump-turn.

My kumu is a busy lady but when she gets back to me we're on the phone long time talking about drills, leg positions and arms, what's appropriate and what's not. I even find myself dancing in the shower sometimes trying to get the hang of some combination I put together.

So I just wanted to post and say, when you realize all your hard work is paying off, you want to go and thank all the people who helped you on your journey. (Not that I'm done, lol, I got real far to go!) But I feel the need to express gratitude for all the help I got from DDNers who hooked me up with knowledge for free. I want to thank Kaleonahenahe for all her help, Tahiti_E_Imua, Doomed_Fairy and OriFlamenca for putting up with my harassing emails from time to time! You ladies are the bomb.

2 Replies to When You Realize Your Hard Work Is Paying Off

re: When You Realize Your Hard Work Is Paying Off
By ohanaPremium member
On Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:14 AM
I am grateful for everyone here at this forum, too. I just wish everyone would post more, including me. lol

Where are all you lovely ladies? :)
re: When You Realize Your Hard Work Is Paying Off
By Celebrianmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Feb 05, 2010 08:14 AM
I remember when this board was jumping! I'm glad to see you on here, Ohana. Who knows, maybe we'll start a bunch of threads and just talk to each other (and ourselves?) and more will want to participate. We can do this! :]

ReplySendWatch