Poll: Arts / Debates

Page:
Page 1 of 3: 1 2 3
Should Texting and Driving be illegal?
By leap2livemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Dec 17, 2009 09:35 PM

So,
Should texting while driving be outlawed?
Please explain what you answered and why.

59 Replies to Should Texting and Driving be illegal?

re: Should Texting and Driving be illegal?
By PureTapPremium member
On Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:45 PM
I answer 1,000% 'yes'. It is actually already illegal here in Australia and deservedly so.

I have done it myself on a very rare occasion (respond to my child care worker, mostly) and your concentration on the road is definitely lacking when you do it. The once or twice I've risked it, I've tended to swerve over the road quite a bit and, in the end, it's taken me longer to type out the text than if I'd just pulled over and sent it off, anyway.

If something is that important that you have to take your focus off the road to reply or initiate, it's important enough to pull over to the side of the road and do it. It's not worth risking your life or - more importantly (because if you do it and have a crash, you've got no one else but yourself to blame) - someone else's life for a 20 second text message.

Cheers
Di
By DefyingGravityPremium member
On Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:54 PM
Multiple studies have already been done on this topic and the overwhelming, unanimous conclusion is, "OhEmGee TEXTING IS SO DANGEROUS WHILE DRIVING." No joke, and it's worded like that, too, netspeak, caps, and all...

It's already banned in California (January 2009).
By Sumayah
On Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:06 AM
Really, someone actually thinks it's fine? Mmmhmm, just stay away from me kthxbye. Yes, make it illegal because I'd rather cross "killed while moron teen* texted" off my list of horrible ways to die. And if I do die horribly because some moron teen is texting, then by all means throw their sorry butt in jail forever... oh and this is Texas and they don't look kindly on manslaughter. Just sayin'.

*Oh and though moron teen was the first thing in my mind, that goes for moron multitasking mom/dad and moron businessman/woman as well.
By Munkensteinmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Dec 18, 2009 07:18 AM
There shouldn't have to be an actual law about it because people shouldn't be so friggin stupid. When you're driving, YOU DRIVE. You don't look at other stuff like food or a phone, ugh.
By rr_lover
On Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:23 AM
Some people actually said it shouldn't be o_0....uhmmmm stay away from me please on the road. spank you VERY much!
By reelcanadiangirlPremium member
On Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:59 AM
It's illegal in my city (against city by-laws). And as of October 2009 it also illegal to talk on your cell phone while driving unless you are using a handless device.

I don't think texting or talking on a cell should be allowed when driving. It's just too distracting.
By DeStijlmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:14 PM
Hang on, are there places where this isn't illegal!?

What is wrong with those places? Doesn't take a rocket scientist, or a even a quantitate study to see that texting while you're behind the wheel of a motor vehicle is a dumb idea.

Jeez, I can't even taxt and WALK at the same time. :?
By tumblebugPremium member
On Sat Dec 19, 2009 09:49 AM
Jeez, I can't even taxt and WALK at the same time.

I can't either!!! I can drive and text better than I can walk and text. Its weird!
By Kekoamember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:14 AM
Yes, but I have a feeling that it would be taken advantage of, with cops writing tickets more than they should. What would be the rule...no touching your phone while in the car? Well, I personally see zero harm in texting while stopped at a stoplight, provided you make sure you're paying attention to when the light changes. Will you not be allowed to do anything with your ipod? I know that all I have to do is shake mine to switch songs, no looking down required, but I certainly wouldn't want a cop busting me from seeing the light and assuming it was a cell. I actually saw a mom with two babies in the backseat texting and driving the other day :(
By YumYumDoughnutPremium member
On Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:24 AM
I do not believe this should be illegal, nor do I believe that talking on the phone should be illegal while driving.
I say this because if it become "illegal" people will try to do it in a hidden way. I have ridden with friends who would text in their bag so the cops wouldn't see the phone light. I know people who hold it down to their crotch area so the cops wouldn't see the light.
I have sent very quick texts such as " no" "yes" "ok" while driving. I held the phone right by the steerling wheel, so I kept my eyes on the road while texting something very quickly.
I believe that an accident caused by texting should have a much greater fine. I also believe that if someone killed another person in a accident, because they were texting. It should be a bigger penalty then Manslaughter.

I believe that creating laws and penalities if something negative happened will be a better law. That way, people still have the freedom to text. Ultimately they decide if the risk outweighs the texting. I dislike the government being "big brother". If someone kills another being because of texting, THEY should be the ones punished. The government shouldn't take away the freedom of texting for everyone.

This all being said, I never ever eat in the car, put on makeup. I rarely text, I never text more then one word replies. I can't understand how people can text a whole sentence while driving.
re: Should Texting and Driving be illegal? (karma: 1)
By DancinDiva2005member has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:52 AM
I put Other, because I don't think you should have to make a law about something like that.

Plus, hey, while we're making all these laws that are nearly impossible to enforce, might as well ban eating while driving, or tending to those kids that are running around in the backseat with no seatbelts on while driving, or changing to music and putting in new CDs etc while driving...

Basically, people should just be smart about it. I don't think there's a point in making a law for something that's nearly impossible to enforce. Common sense would be a nice change for some people though.
By Celebrianmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat Dec 19, 2009 03:14 PM
I never really thought about it until our county had this horrible horrible accident. The driver of the car admitted to texting while driving.

There was a school bus, it was stopped with the lights flashing and the stop signs out and the driver behind them was texting and driving so he/she didn't notice the lights and stop signs. Well they ran right into the back of the school bus and the back of the bus exploded. I still don't know how it exploded.

This is graphic:
Spoiler: Show
They got out as many children as they could but the people at the scene were traumatized because they said they saw children on fire and several of the kids were trapped at the back of the bus, on fire and screaming. It makes me break out in cold sweats every time I think of it.

After that, every time I hear 'texting and driving' I think of that horrible accident.
By TheMidlakeMusemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat Dec 19, 2009 03:40 PM
Please watch this video before forming your opinion. It's from Utah's Zero Fatalities program and I watched it as part of a safety program at work. It really changed my driving habits as a result. It's very powerful.

ut.zerofatalities.com . . .

Dani
By Munkensteinmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat Dec 19, 2009 04:41 PM
^That's a great video...every driver should have to watch it and if it doesn't evoke some sort of emotion, there's something wrong with you. I was such a mixture of pissed off and so, so sad for those families that lost their husband/father.

I was blessed/cursed with being hyperaware of my surroundings most of the time...I notice things that most "normal" people just don't notice at all. It has led me to hate being a passenger in a vehicle; I see things and react to things when the driver doesn't and it's freaking scary. If one of my friends tries to use a phone when driving, I get so annoyed, ugh. One person tried to check FACEBOOK ON THE PHONE WHILE DRIVING. I haven't gotten into a car with that person ever again.

The woman in the video was so right when she said that driving is a privilege, not a right. A lot of people seem to forget that fact and think it's perfectly fine to drive irresponsibly...they need to get over themselves. I'm glad that Utah has instated such tough punishments for this sort of thing...maybe others will follow.
By Odessamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat Dec 19, 2009 05:01 PM
Kekoa wrote:

What would be the rule...no touching your phone while in the car? Well, I personally see zero harm in texting while stopped at a stoplight, provided you make sure you're paying attention to when the light changes. Will you not be allowed to do anything with your ipod? I know that all I have to do is shake mine to switch songs, no looking down required, but I certainly wouldn't want a cop busting me from seeing the light and assuming it was a cell.

The law where I am from has just been changed to exactly that. No touching your phone while the car is on. If you want to talk on the phone, you have to use a handsfree kit. The phone can't be resting on your lap, and you can't be holding it and using the speaker function. If your phone has a GPS function then it has to be mounted on the dashboard, like a GPS navigator. No texting, no talking while holding the phone.

I don't think it's restrictive at all. Two hands on the wheel while driving and two eyes on the road isn't that much to ask, is it?

Erin.
::righteous babe::
By MaxwellPremium member
On Sat Dec 19, 2009 05:12 PM
^^Agree. I had a bus driver in middle school who would text while driving a bus full of children. WTF.

I don't understand you if you oppose laws against this. I can at least comprehend both sides of any issue, but not this.
By Kekoamember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat Dec 19, 2009 05:12 PM
How would you even manage to answer your phone if you're not allowed to touch it? All handsfree devices I've had require you to hit a button on your cell to answer/dial.

I actually think that making a law for no texting while driving would be great. I don't however, think that those laws should extend to sending a quick text while the vehicle is stopped. There are so many restrictions on driving already, when will they stop? There's a fine line between protecting the greater good and creating more problems than you solve. If we're going to stop and ticket everyone who is caught texting, how on earth will cops have time to do ANYTHING else? I drive 40 miles round trip on the freeway each day I go to school, and I see at least two dozen people whiz by while texting. Are we going to hire more cops? Put more cops out on the freeway, on side roads, in neighborhoods? Texting while driving is a widespread problem, with millions and millions of people doing it, and I just don't see how a law is going to fix that, or how it can possibly be adequately enforced.
By Odessamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat Dec 19, 2009 05:18 PM
All the handsfree devices I have had have had a button on the microphone that you can press to answer or hang up the call. But there are many more out there that I imagine would be different.

As for texting - the very nature of a text message is that it's not instantaneous communication. You don't need to read or respond to a text message straight away. Being stopped at the lights doesn't mean you're not driving anymore - your car is still running, you're still in the flow of traffic, and at any time the lights could change. Nothing happening on your phone is so important that it can't wait until you can pull over out of the flow of traffic. It's not just about you, but about everyone else on the road as well.

Erin.
::righteous babe::
By Heartmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat Dec 19, 2009 05:30 PM
Edited by Heart (21721) on 2009-12-19 17:33:31
There shouldn't have to be an actual law about it because people shouldn't be so friggin stupid.

My opinion is basically that. It's stupid as hell, do we really need to make a law about it? It's not like anyone follows the don't talk on the phone law anyway. And I mean that literally: I don't know ANYONE who follows that law.

I would absolutely not be okay with a "don't TOUCH your phone in the car" rule. Are you kidding me? I check my phone for the time, or for directions I've typed in a text message, and I only take very short phone calls consisting of me going "I'M LOST WHERE THE HELL DO I GO?"

I don't text while driving because it's stupid. I do text at red lights, that isn't dangerous at all. If the light changes I throw my phone in the passenger seat and drive off.

I think this is a case of over-legislating. Just because there's a problem does NOT mean there needs to be a law against it. Laws shouldn't work that way, they should be a last resort. They should not be given the power to be nitpicky over every little habit you have in your car. That is a road we don't want to go down, texting or not.
By CaitDestinymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat Dec 19, 2009 06:40 PM
In Michigan it is illegal. Even if you have your phone in your hand getting ready to call someone, it's considered that you are "texting."

Plus, just a side note, my phone has a full key-board, and I cannot text and drive to save my life. I can drive and talk, but cannot drive and text. Which is a good thing in the end.

Comment #8727337 deleted
Removed by oz_helen (35388) on 2009-12-20 19:56:50 Double post

By CheesePlusCakemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:58 AM
I think this law is micro-managing, especially since people are going to do it anyways, and there are so many distractions which are "legal." I also agree that there shouldn't even have to be a law about this, because it's so obviously NOT a good idea to do.
By Saramember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Dec 20, 2009 01:26 PM
Honestly, I've done it a few times. All of which, but one, were sent while stopped at a light. But you know what those texts consisted of? "I'm driving" and that was it. They get the point that they'll hear from me after I get wherever I'm going. I'll LOOK at a message, and only if I'm in a straightway with no one right beside me, but I very very rarely spout a message back. I dont feel like I can focus on the road as well, rightfully so. However, I check my phone occasionally. For a grand total of 2.2 seconds. I'll occasionally make calls, on speakerphone. I think it just depends on the person using the device to not be a complete idiot. I'm smart about it, because I dont feel like dying today either. Being perfectly honest, smoking while dirving distracts me much more than reading a text I get, and I smoke quite a bit when I drive. *shrugs*
By DeStijlmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Dec 20, 2009 09:55 PM
I think this law is micro-managing, especially since people are going to do it anyways

Sorry, but that is the most flawed logic I've ever come across. Some people are still going to be sociopathic homicidal psychopaths, so should we just make murder legal as well, because "it'll happen anyway." :? Laws are intended to be preventative. This one is intended to prevent you from slamming up the back of other drivers on the road because you were too busy on your cell phone to give your full attention to the task at hand.

I'm with Erin. I live in the same country as her with the same laws about not touching your phone while you're in a car, and its never ever bothered me. Not once. I beep and or give the finger to drivers on their phones, because they usually cut me off. *shrug*.

If someone is texting you with information, I highly doubt it is of imperative importance that requires immediate attention. If it is, you should probably pull over and take it in properly. Its just another example of how people are so damn attached to their cell phones, they become an extension of themselves.
Page:
Page 1 of 3: 1 2 3

ReplySendWatch