Poll: Arts / Debates

Page:
Page 2 of 3: 1 2 3
re: Should Texting and Driving be illegal?
By AlwaysOnStagePremium member
On Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:07 PM
I think the real solution is a major overhaul of the driving system in general. Is driving a right? No, it is a privilege. Therefore, there should be more intellectual tests, more physical tests, more logged hours, better graduated liscences, more money involved in attaining a liscence, and greater penalties for traffic violations. I think that if the entire (American) system was ripped out and replaced (with a required re-certification of anyone already on the road), then people would be smarter, more educated, more aware. For example, drivers ed begins at 14, but you can't actually drive until 16 or something. And you ahve to have so many hours with a certified instructor before getting each licences. If the system was taken more seriously, then people would take it more seriously. But right now it's a joke.
re: Should Texting and Driving be illegal?
By CheesePlusCakemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:24 PM
Wow, dramatic.... Yes, you should totally make murder, in which you purposely harm another person, legal because people are going to do it anyways.

I obviously see the purpose behind laws like these, because some people are idiots who don't know what safe driving means. By "people are going to do it anyways" I just meant that they will be even more unsafe about it when they are trying to be sneaky than they would have been before. I still think it's micromanaging. I don't see why one distraction should be given precedence over another. Maybe those teens dressed like sandwiches on the road outside of subway should be illegal too, as they're distracting to drivers. I agree with Heart that they shouldn't be allowed to be so nitpicky about what you do in your car, and laws should be used as a last resort.
re: Should Texting and Driving be illegal?
By Miss_Tami_Leemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:51 PM
I just came across the PSA today and it reminded me of this thread

www.youtube.com . . .

I seriously cried at the part with the baby.

Needless to say, don't touch your phone while driving.
re: Should Texting and Driving be illegal?
By Saramember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:08 PM
^^ That video is terrible, and really sad.

I just want to point out though that there is a difference between having your attention divided, for short spans, and having your attention fully on the phone for so long. I think theres a level of responsibility with it, in keeping your eyes on the road still regardless. I can text without looking at my phone... it doesnt require my full 100% attention.
re: Should Texting and Driving be illegal?
By YumYumDoughnutPremium member
On Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:29 PM
I think they should ban doing your makeup in the car! I was driving home tonight and I saw a women trying to put eyelines on..on the freeway going around 80 miles. Oh and she started to swerve into my lane. Needless to say I used my horn and had to move over into the next lane. Some people! *shakes head*
re: Should Texting and Driving be illegal?
By DeStijlmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:13 AM
Wow, dramatic.... Yes, you should totally make murder, in which you purposely harm another person, legal because people are going to do it anyways.


Oy vey. I'm pretty sure you know I wasn't being literal.

Being distracted while you're driving has to potential to hurt and kill others. Texting and making phone calls whilst driving is a very very common distarction. If there are laws in place to try and prevent that, I don't see how it is micromanaging.
re: Should Texting and Driving be illegal?
By CaffeinePremium member
On Mon Dec 21, 2009 04:21 AM
I admit, I've texted while driving before, but I can text without looking at the keypad and my messages are usually "On way home, want dinner?" or similar.

I live in the same country as Odessa and DeStijl, and despite my "history" of texting while driving I don't have a problem with the new laws. (Ok, I don't like the no phone on lap because that's where my phone always is when driving, because I find it more dangerous to reach across/down to wherever it's fallen if I get a call which I usually hang up on until I can call them back, but that's my own problem). They make sense.

And you know, even though something is common sense doesn't mean people will do it unless it's law.
re: Should Texting and Driving be illegal?
By leap2livemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Dec 21, 2009 08:02 AM
Munkenstein wrote:

There shouldn't have to be an actual law about it because people shouldn't be so friggin stupid.


You're right. But at the same time it's like if you go to a hot tub at a hotel, the rules often state 'No bubbles or soap in the hot tub, or 'No children with Diapers.' These rules are posted because some where along the line, someone was stupid enough to have done this.

I live in a suburb of chicago, and in my town, it is NOT illegal to use, talk, or text on your phone while driving. However, in the actual city of Chicago, it is,and everyone must wear a bluetooth. If you think that making a 'silly' law like this is pointless and that everyone will text, talk, touch their phones anyways, you'd be surprised. Since the law has passed, I haven't seen ANY drivers using their cell phones. And let me tell you, I feel much more afe being in a cab with a driver with a BlueTooth than looking at his phone the whole time.

I just googled some statistics for my own curiosity, but here's a few I found interesting.

* Distraction from cell phone use while driving (hand held or hands free) extends a driver's reaction as much as having a blood alcohol concentration at the legal limit of .08 percent. (University of Utah)
* The No.1 source of driver inattention is use of a wireless device. (Virginia Tech/NHTSA)
* Drivers that use cell phones are four times as likely to get into crashes serious enough to injure themselves. (NHTSA, Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
* 10 percent of drivers aged 16 to 24 years old are on their phone at any one time.
* Driving while distracted is a factor in 25 percent of police reported crashes.
* Driving while using a cell phone reduces the amount of brain activity associated with driving by 37 percent (Carnegie Mellon)
(www.nationwide.com . . .)

And,

* Talking on a cell phone causes nearly 25% of car accidents.
* One-fifth of experienced adult drivers in the United States send text messages while driving.
* A study of dangerous driver behavior released in January 2007 by Nationwide Mutual Insurance Co. found that of 1,200 surveyed drivers, 73 percent talk on cell phones while driving.
* The same 2007 survey found that 19 percent of motorists say they text message while driving.
* In 2005, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration found that ten percent of drivers are on handheld or hands free cell phones at any given hour of the day.
* A study conducted by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety Motorists found that motorists who use cell phones while driving are four times more likely to get into crashes serious enough to injure themselves.
* In 2002, the Harvard Center for Risk Analysis calculated that 2,600 people die each year as a result of using cellphones while driving. They estimated that another 330,000 are injured.
* According to the Human Factors and Ergonomics Society, drivers talking on cell phones are 18 percent slower to react to brake lights. They also take 17 percent longer to regain the speed they lost when they braked.
* An estimated 44 percent of American drivers now have cell phones in their automobiles.
* Of cell phone users that were surveyed, 85 percent said they use their phones occasionally when driving, 30 percent use their phones while driving on the highway, and 27 percent use them during half or more of the trips they take.
* 84 percent of cell phone users stated that they believe using a cell phone while driving increases the risk of being in an accident.
* The majority of Americans believe that talking on the phone and texting are two of the the most dangerous behaviors that occur behind the wheel. Still, as many as 81% of drivers admit to making phone calls while driving.
* The number of crashes and near-crashes linked to dialing is nearly identical to the number associated with talking or listening. Dialing is more dangerous but occurs less often than talking or listening.
* Studies have found that texting while driving causes a 400 percent increase in time spent with eyes off the road.

(www.edgarsnyder.com . . .)
re: Should Texting and Driving be illegal?
By BeautifulMistakemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Dec 22, 2009 05:07 PM
I hate ABSOLUTELY hate it when people text while driving. And I feel so uncomfortable when somebody is driving while texting with me in the car. I always text for my boyfriend when he's driving. Makes me feel much safer. :)

Anyway! I said yes. And it will be illegal here on January 1st! :D
re: Should Texting and Driving be illegal?
By Staceymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Dec 22, 2009 06:57 PM
It's against the law here in ontario. You cannot use any hand held device and you have to use a bluetooth.
re: Should Texting and Driving be illegal?
By season
On Wed Dec 23, 2009 06:35 PM
it should definatly be illegal! it is so dangerous, and people should focus ON THE ROAD. grr...
re: Should Texting and Driving be illegal?
By Cadbury_Eatermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Dec 24, 2009 05:40 AM
It ISN'T illegal in some parts?!?

Jeez, that freaks me out. But then again, other countries people don't wear seatbelts and I always thought that was crazy.

For all your DDNers saying you can text and drive (which I HIGHLY doubt), even if you're good with it what if someone else is being stupid on the road? What if while you're texting that text a drunk runs through the lights and ploughs into you?

If you kill someone being an idiot you live with it the rest of your life.
re: Should Texting and Driving be illegal?
By tumblebugPremium member
On Thu Dec 24, 2009 08:05 AM
I honestly find it more distracting using my IPOD than texting on my cell phone. I don't think people should text and drive and yet I do it. I think I'm addicted. They were talking on the Tyra show the other day about people addicted to the internet. I am going to try to stop though because its a bad bad habit. I quit smoking over 8 years ago. I can quite texting while driving.
re: Should Texting and Driving be illegal?
By Heartmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Dec 24, 2009 04:15 PM
Well, if texting while driving is illegal, then eating while driving should certainly be illegal, because goodness, that's distracting. And so should drinking hot coffee while driving, because what if it spills? You would freak out and jerk the wheel. Actually, you shouldn't be drinking anything at all while driving, for the same reason. How can you see when you're gulping it down? And what about changing the radio, or fiddling with your iPod - isn't that just as bad as texting?

It's too much. The law does not and SHOULD NOT cover everything. It is not there to be your babysitter. It should not pick and choose, and it cannot cover every single dangerous detail that might be in a vehicle, in a home, in a business, in the world.

That's abusing the law because people don't want to take the responsibility for themselves. Life is dangerous, wear a helmet.
re: Should Texting and Driving be illegal? (karma: 3)
By Sumayah
On Thu Dec 24, 2009 04:41 PM
Heart wrote:

It's too much. The law does not and SHOULD NOT cover everything.


I do agree with this - too much of the government telling us what we can and cannot do takes away our rights. HOWEVER, we also live in a world full of morons. We live in a such an immediate gratification society, we've become accustomed to being in constant contact with someone. The person sending the text wants an answer now and the person getting the text has been groomed to answer now. But I see *very* little in life that demands an immediate answer and frankly if someone gets upset that I didn't return their text because I was busy doing something else, too bad for them. Unfortunately most people though are not happy if they don't get their immediate gratification and will continue to harass the person til they finally respond. By making texting illegal while driving, it makes people - both the texter and textee - have to be more patient, and in turn takes the focus away from making someone upset because you didn't respond right away and puts it back on the road.

I can put my food down and it doesn't yell at me for not giving it more attention. I can sip my coffee without feeling like I'm leaving someone else in the lurch. I can change my radio station without worrying that I'm hurting someone's feelings by not getting back to them right away. I think that's where the big difference comes in. I'm also not waiting for a reply from my water, I'll get back to it when I'm darn well ready.
re: Should Texting and Driving be illegal?
By Munkensteinmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Dec 24, 2009 05:08 PM
^Good way to put it. And anyway, if something is really THAT important, wouldn't the person call instead of text? I don't think I've ever gotten a text that would qualify as "super important and requiring immediate attention."
re: Should Texting and Driving be illegal?
By DeStijlmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Dec 25, 2009 12:39 AM
^ Me either.

I do agree with this - too much of the government telling us what we can and cannot do takes away our rights.


I get you were saying this to make your point, I just want to say this; driving IS NOT a right and texting IS NOT a right; thus, texting whilst driving certainly isn't a right, and a law against is is doing nothing to infringe on your civil rights. :?

Censorship and laws against how many children you can have, is too much government intervention. A perfectly logical road rule that is preventative of a VERY common and proven cause of major and minor traffic accidents , is common sense.
re: Should Texting and Driving be illegal?
By Sumayah
On Fri Dec 25, 2009 01:03 AM
DeStijl wrote:


Sumayah wrote:

I do agree with this - too much of the government telling us what we can and cannot do takes away our rights.


I get you were saying this to make your point, I just want to say this; driving IS NOT a right and texting IS NOT a right; thus, texting whilst driving certainly isn't a right, and a law against is is doing nothing to infringe on your civil rights. :?

Censorship and laws against how many children you can have, is too much government intervention. A perfectly logical road rule that is preventative of a VERY common and proven cause of major and minor traffic accidents , is common sense.


;) No I totally agree with you and I was making a point that while I agree that too much government interference is bad, in this case I don't see it as interference. Apparently the law just passed here that it is illegal to text and drive and I think it is a good thing. Though the US Declaration of Independence tells us that the pursuit of happiness is an unalienable right, I don't for one minute believe that pertains to texting while driving. Mostly, in my post, I wanted to differentiate between why I see texting as something that should be illegal while driving verses eating and drinking - one has a human aspect and involves more than one party and the train of thought and anticipation of the next text verses something less interactive. Making texting while driving illegal is apples and oranges when compared to an actual government imposed law that unfairly infringes upon our personal rights as human beings. So I can agree that too much government meddling in our lives is bad, I don't think this law falls under those terms. Just to clarify where I stand in all this. :D
re: Should Texting and Driving be illegal?
By schuhplattlerPremium member
On Fri Dec 25, 2009 06:44 AM
Would your attention be on your driving if, without warning, your spouse, over the phone, demanded a divorce? You don't need a direct line to surprises while driving.
re: Should Texting and Driving be illegal?
By Celebrianmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Dec 25, 2009 08:38 PM
Not that this adds to the debate but speaking of seeing ridiculous things while driving...there was this lady last week and she almost swerved into my lane and I had to honk her. So I glance over and she's got a 2 liter of coca-cola in one hand, is drinking it, and had a cell phone in the other hand! And I yelled, "How in the world is she driving?!" No hands on the wheel. We were shocked. True story. I got away from her as soon as possible.
re: Should Texting and Driving be illegal?
By livedance13
On Fri Dec 25, 2009 11:30 PM
Yes! It should be Illegal! Everywhere! I went to holland 9 years ago and it was already illegal. It was just passed in ontario and I think it's great idea. But its not just cell phones its ipods too, you can be fined $500 and love that poeple are actually pulling over to talk or text... If only it had passed 2 years ago. Kay would still be here *sigh* she was killed by someone texting and someone who was drunk who both ran red lights and hit both sides of her car.... hopefully these laws will prevent anyone else loosing a friend
re: Should Texting and Driving be illegal?
By toroandbruinmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat Dec 26, 2009 01:01 PM
Celebrian wrote:

And I yelled, "How in the world is she driving?!" No hands on the wheel.


Maybe she was moving the wheel with her knee(s)?

People can listen to music or chat with a passenger and drive OK. Some find that this keeps them more relaxed but alert. If you have a mounted cellphone with voice-activated dialing & pickup you might even tell someone at home you're on your way OK. With these activities your hands are on the wheel and your eyes on the road. Even so, in heavy traffic or merging onto a busy freeway some drivers prefer the car to be absolutely quiet so they can concentrate better.

As for eating and drinking, although you wouldn't try to consume a 4-course dinner, sipping from a sports bottle or munching on an easy-to-hold snack could keep you hydrated, comfortable and alert enough to offset taking one hand off the wheel from time to time.

But I can't imagine anyone taking their hands off the wheel and eyes off the road to the extent necessary for texting!
re: Should Texting and Driving be illegal?
By Dance4lyphe
On Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:23 PM
It should be illegal, i bet you can't drive while texting. Leap2live if you voted it shouldn't you should be locked up because my friend got seriously hurt from getting in an accident from a driver that was texting!!
re: Should Texting and Driving be illegal?
By AlwaysOnStagePremium member
On Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:27 PM
^ She should be locked up for her opinion?

And the board welcomes another newbie. Yay.
Start reading the stickies on the top of every board: it'll help.
re: Should Texting and Driving be illegal?
By Cinnawiz
On Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:35 PM
Edited by Cinnawiz (148620) on 2010-01-06 12:40:31
Simply put, yes. But I'm rather sick of laws to protect us from ourselves. When you're driving, your focus should be on the act of driving. Period.

Is it really that difficult to pull over or just wait to reply to that text? You know, we got along for many, many years without that technology, why can't we live without it now?
Page:
Page 2 of 3: 1 2 3

ReplySendWatch

Powered by XP Experience Server.
Copyright ©1999-2020 XP.COM, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
XL
LG
MD
SM
XS
XL
LG
MD
SM
XS