Forum: Ballet / Guys in Ballet

I'm going to be teaching a boys' beginner dance class
By adsum
On Fri Dec 18, 2009 04:06 AM

I'm starting teaching a boys' beginner dance class next month. It will probably be about 2nd - 4th graders. Any tips or suggestions?

3 Replies to I'm going to be teaching a boys' beginner dance class

re: I'm going to be teaching a boys' beginner dance class
By guyclone
On Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:07 PM
I'd say just make it fun and interesting. Maybe mix it up between some classical music and some pop/hip hop music. If they do well, maybe do a little hip hop dancing with them at the end of the class, and show how ballet relates to hip hop and other types of dance.
If it's fun, the boys may just go into school the next day with a "guess what I got to do" attitude. If they go to their friends and brag about it, you may find yourself with even more boys wanting to join!
By Howtofallover
On Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:50 AM
Hey, recently started at the tender age of 20... But maybe mix up standard ballet drills with some more explosive (muscular as opposed to ordnance...) activity? Possibly something such as:

-Press ups and sit ups within the class; connects with other sports such as rugby, football, a familiar form of exercise for many boys. Provides a reference point for them to consider the athletic aspect of ballet. Often accompanied by the line 'need to be strong in order to lift the girls!'.

Otherwise anything else fast moving and vaguely balletic?

Hope that is of some use!
By TidalWhale
On Sun Dec 20, 2009 08:36 AM
I agree with the pushups and crunches. Don't just mention that they are just for being able to partner. Make sure you have them realize the extreme amount of strength and determination it takes, because some individuals do not think dance is a sport. They are slightly correct on this... it's more than that, it's a way of life. The crunches will have them start working on their lil' centers and the pushups will aid in their port de bras.

I would also suggest alot of jumping. As everyone loves to jump, maybe some changements and echappes to start out. When I taught my boys and found out that was their favorite part I took longer on jumping that I would in a normal class.

ReplySendWatch