Popular Irish

Sponsorships for Irish Dancers? by byudawn
I was curious if any irish dancer has like a "Sponsor", like they do in ice skating, etc? Not a...

Forum: Ballet / Costumes

Costumes
What is that 'shiny' material named? en>fr fr>en
By ilurvedance Comments: 489, member since Thu Jun 02, 2005
On Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:07 AM

Anyone has any idea what that 'shiny' material often used for costumes is called?

I hate that material for leotards because it's unflattering and reminds me to cheap or old swimming costumes. I am hoping to order some leotards online but I'm afraid I will get that material which looks horrendous on me.

I've search around. Some call it nylon, some lycra and some say it's a lycra/spandex mix. Anyone knows which exactly this is? Thank you for the trouble (:

5 Replies to What is that 'shiny' material named?

re: What is that 'shiny' material named? en>fr fr>en
By Cheesemoo Comments: 581, member since Mon Jun 23, 2008
On Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:36 AM
Edited by Cheesemoo (198070) on 2009-12-18 10:37:13
I've heard it described as Lycra on several occasions, at dance stores and I think at swim wear stores too. It's not my cup of tea for leotards, either.

You mean something like this, right?

www.made-in-china.com . . .
By ilurvedance Comments: 489, member since Thu Jun 02, 2005
On Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:32 AM
Yes that's it! Thanks for the picture. So it's called lycra... I hate it with a passion. It can get itchy sometimes and just about shows all e sweatmarks...
By hummingbird Comments: 8370, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:44 PM
It depends on who it's made by as to what it's called, one firm calls it Spandex and another calls it Lycra, it can also be used as a percentage of the fabric to create a mix, like Cotton Lycra, or Cotton Spandex this mix won't give you the shiny look, but you'll still get the four way stretch you need for leotards.
By tammyvivi Comments: 99, member since Thu Mar 30, 2006
On Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:02 AM
To be safe you may want to look for leo's made of microfiber which blends fabrics. Microfibers are very soft hold their color well and depending on the amount of lycra/spandex (terms used iinterchangeably). You should be safe from shine as long as the main percentage of fabric is not lycra/spandex.
By seamless Comments: 6, member since Fri Nov 13, 2009
On Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:26 PM
What you probably experienced was your general "spandex." Lycra is actually quite comfortable. Dupont invented the material, but it has been reproduced in subtle variations, while still called Lycra. Not all of them are created equal. The best "Lyra" type material I've ever felt is Milliskin, by MStevens. Yes, it is shiny, but as soft as microfiber while being thicker.

Microfiber is probably the material that you're after. It is stretchy and clingy like Lycra, but matte in appearance.

ReplySendWatch