Forum: General / Modern / Praise/Liturgical

Praise/Liturgical
Anyone renting from a church
By heartzjoymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 703, member since Fri Aug 20, 2004
On Sat Dec 19, 2009 01:50 PM

I'm going to start offering traditional and liturgical dance classes in January, and I'm renting from a church. I'll be using their fellowship hall. I was wondering if anyone else does this or has done this.

I wanted to know how you "made do" with a space that is for multiple purposes. For example, I have to move the tables and chairs each week, and there isn't much storage for the barres or glassless mirrors. What have you done to work with the space you have?

6 Replies to Anyone renting from a church

re: Anyone renting from a church
By truworshiper Comments: 71, member since Fri Oct 19, 2007
On Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:55 AM
I am wondering the same thing~

I have a few options of churches but they all have the same problem....moving things....mine has metal polls on the dead center of the floor.....straight across! Help!
By heartzjoymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 703, member since Fri Aug 20, 2004
On Tue Dec 22, 2009 01:36 PM
yikes! how big is the space on either side of the poles? Could you put a divider in front of the poles?
By truworshiper Comments: 71, member since Fri Oct 19, 2007
On Tue Dec 29, 2009 07:47 AM
I could do the divider. but its accross long ways! I would have to get a few of them. Ugh.....I think ill just use the rooms.
By Gwyneth17member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1284, member since Wed Dec 21, 2005
On Thu Dec 31, 2009 06:54 PM
The ministry I work with works almost exclusively out of churches. We "tear down" the rooms before classes start and set them back up afterward. We use chairs as barres and simply do without mirrors. (yes, they are helpful, but not absolutely necessary.) So yes, it is possible. We also try to be good stewards of what the Lord has given us--cleaning up any messes we make, trying to be quiet so we don't disturb the office people, paying/or fixing anything we break....
On Thu Dec 31, 2009 08:15 PM
I am rather thrilled right now, my boyfriend who is very handy took me to Home Depot and is building pvc barres for me. It cost me a whopping $38 for the material for one barre.

The church is also open to me installing mirrors, which is great! I am just starting out, so mirrors are not my top priority- building up a student base is.

Gwyneth, what kinds of things do you offer to pay for at the church? I was thinking of offering to pay for building improvements that benefit the church and me as we continue to work together and grow.
By Gwyneth17member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1284, member since Wed Dec 21, 2005
On Tue Jan 05, 2010 01:01 PM
We just pay the church rent so they can use it as they see fit. I know in some cases, the rent also pays the janitor, but we just leave that decision up to the church.

ReplySendWatch