Forum: Arts / Books

Page:
Page 1 of 2: 1 2
Jane Eyre
By Piano_on_Pointemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:58 AM

I started this book a couple of weeks back and I really like it! Sure, there's a paragraph every now and then that I can't keep attentive while reading it, but in general it's really good!

What's your views on it?

33 Replies to Jane Eyre

re: Jane Eyre
By Brittanymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:03 AM
I was supposed to read it in my English/Lit class my senior year of high school. Could never keep my attention and I gave up rather quickly. I can never force myself to read a book that I can't get into and Jane Eyre was a prime example of that.
By MaxwellPremium member
On Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:56 AM
I liked it in the eigth grade, but I need to reread it to discuss it more in detail. I still have it somewhere, I think.
By TheMidlakeMusemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:30 PM
I read it for the first time in third grade and I've read it about once every year after that. Love it.

Dani
On Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:57 PM
I have the third edition of it. It looks like a Bible. It was printed in 1848, according to a letter in the book. But that's just what I'm assuming, because there is no source page.

Brittany wrote:

I was supposed to read it in my English/Lit class my senior year of high school. Could never keep my attention and I gave up rather quickly. I can never force myself to read a book that I can't get into and Jane Eyre was a prime example of that.

Haha, I got it in 8th grade and on the third page she starts rambling on about a bird book and I said forget it and turned it back into the library. I decided to give it a second chance. By the second chapter, it starts to get really good.

TheMidlakeMuse wrote:

I read it for the first time in third grade and I've read it about once every year after that. Love it.

That's quite impressive. I would never be able to comprehend something like this in 3rd grade.
On Tue Dec 22, 2009 01:11 PM
I tried to edit the last comment I left, but you can't add pictures when you edit replies. Hm.
But, yes, this is my copy of Jane Eyre. It's actually my grandmother's. It got weeded from a library because on Chapter 4, the first page got folded when it was being printed and there's two sentences missing on the first page and half of that back page is missing. It's kind of cool.
By AinetheDragonPremium member
On Wed Dec 23, 2009 09:45 AM
I got Jane Eyre on audio book about a year ago, and I thought I would fall asleep during the beginning section, but once she goes to work for Mr. Rochester, it got alot better. The beginning was a bit preachy for my taste.
By Chaconnemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:12 PM
Lovers of Jane Eyre might be interested in the review of the book "Becoming Jane Eyre" a bio of Charlotte Bronte which appeared in this morning's Washington Post.

www.washingtonpost.com . . .

You might have to do a proforma registration to read it, but I have been registered for several years and it generates no spam.

Jon
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Dec 23, 2009 02:46 PM
I read most of it when I was 16. I'm still reading it, I just haven't picked it back up in three years. I know what happens, though.

Which reminds me I need to finish Moby Dick (Um, six years ago since I picked it up and I know that I'm in the middle of the Folio of Whales) and Little Women (four years, I think, where the book mark is is not where I last remember reading).
By adageacemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Dec 24, 2009 01:20 AM
I read it when I was about 13 and loved it. I haven't looked at it since, though. I'll have to give it another read and see if I still like it as much, but I have a feeling I might find it a bit too melodramatic now.
By moara
On Thu Dec 24, 2009 09:44 AM
I have the third edition of it. It looks like a Bible. It was printed in 1848, according to a letter in the book. But that's just what I'm assuming, because there is no source page.[/]
Boy, and I thought my copy was cool. Yours really takes the cake though.

Mine's a tiny red canvas hardcover, it doesn't have a source page either, but there is a note in the back from the publisher, saying not to worry about the rag shortage, so it's probably from around the 1950's.

Jane Eyre was my favorite book in Grade 7. I probably read it half a dozen times that year. I think it probably resonantes with a lot of teenage girls, given the themes of romance, virtue and unfair authority figures.
By J_dances
On Thu Dec 24, 2009 10:03 AM
I read it when I was around 12 because I was doing a monolouge from it in drama. I liked it, but when I reread it a year later I liked it much more. :)
By Spiorad
On Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:08 AM
haha I started a thread on here back when I had to read it because I needed some motivation. I never could finish reading that god awful book. And usually I can pretty much force myself to keep reading because I don't like just not finishing a book I've started. But oh my goodness that book was horrible.

I kinda feel like I've missed out on something though because it seems like everyone finds it to be such an amazing book and I seriously could not stand it. To anyone who could get through it, more power to you!
By Arakmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat Dec 26, 2009 08:51 AM
If you like Jane Eyre, you will also like Villette. And just about anything else the Bronte sisters wrote. Charlotte's style is my favorite, but Emily is good as well, and Anne is ok. It's hard to find much beyond Wuthering Heights and Jane Eyre, but if you can, they're worth reading. You would also probably like Jane Austen's books, if you have not already discovered them.
By maureensiobhan
On Sat Dec 26, 2009 09:39 AM
I read it when I was in junior high school. The first part of it (Jane's life at Gateshead Hall and then Lowood school) wasn't so bad. I started to lose interest in it, though, when she goes to Thornfield Hall to be a governess.

My take on it (here comes the psychologist in me coming out) is that when I read the first part of the book, I thought that Helen Burns was full of crap as on her philosophy of life (bear cruel punishment patiently, bless them that curse you). I think she was denying the truth as to how cruel the teacher Miss Scatcherd was to her. I think that Miss Scatcherd felt just as deep-seated an anger at Brocklehurst as everyone else at Lowood did at him, and was using Helen Burns as a punching bag to vent a deep-seated anger at Brocklehurst, since she knew that Helen wouldn't do or say anything about being being beaten or otherwise humiliated in front of everybody. I think that even Helen Burns felt just as angry at Brocklehurst, for all that she wasn't about to 'fess up to it. For all that Jane was only ten, I think she had a much more realistic outlook on life than Helen had. Brocklehurst must have been mortified when the source of a virolent outbreak of typhoid fever gets traced back to Lowood, and the truth comes out about the shameful living conditions at Lowood. It must add insult to injury when he's forced to give up some of his duties to other church and school officials who have more of a grip on how to properly run the school.
By toroandbruinmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat Dec 26, 2009 12:14 PM
Read it as a child and loved it. Read it again as an adult and loved it.
By dancingrl247
On Sun Dec 27, 2009 08:50 PM
I'm not going to read all the replies because I'm in the middle of reading it right now! I'm about half way through and I think it's a great book so far!
By fossegirlmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:33 AM
I read it one summer when I was about 16, and I loved it!
By DancerAndromedamember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:24 AM
I started when I was about ten and quit halfway through. I tried it again when I was thirteen, and got about 2/3 of the way through. I read the whole thing about a month ago. I'm really glad I did it recently, because I had missed a lot of the symbolism before. I really enjoyed it this time
By breezylady
On Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:36 PM
i finally got to read it in september, and i loved it. It really gets to be more engaging the further into the book you are, but keep going. it's worth it!

and if you enjoy jane eyre, you might want to check out agnes grey and wuthering heights if you haven't already done so...
By Orionmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed Feb 17, 2010 02:19 PM
Meh. I had to read it over the summer for AP Lit. I couldn't really get into it, especially the beginning. Just wasn't my kind of book - I was incredibly bored with it. Plus I had a hard time deciphering half of the writing.
By mrslovettmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed Feb 17, 2010 03:10 PM
I love Jane Eyre! The first ten chapters were killers, but I was sooooo glad I hung on -- the rest of the story was more than worth it. Plus Jane is such a badass, especially for the time the book was written. In fact, I think she'd still be a badass today, to tell you the truth.

My car's middle name is Jane, after her. She's one of my favorite characters in any book, and definitely one of the strongest, most powerful and independent female characters in all of literature.
On Wed Feb 17, 2010 07:13 PM
Oh God! It's taken me WEEKS to get to chapter 22 or so.
I was so bored with it, but so fascinated.
So today, I was reading and I was like this sucks, I know they end up marrying but Rochester is engaged to Miss Ingrim.
And then they professed their love for each other and he asked Jane to marry him. That was the sweetest, most romantic thing I've ever read in my life!
It honestly made my day so much better.
By panicmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Feb 17, 2010 07:18 PM
I don't think men are allowed to read that book.
By Arakmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Feb 18, 2010 07:01 AM
Hang in there, Piano. The plot thickens. ;)
Page:
Page 1 of 2: 1 2

ReplySendWatch