Forum: Ballet / Guys in Ballet

Why did you first start ballet?
By Soccer4eva
On Wed Dec 23, 2009 01:28 PM

As the title said. How old where you when you first became interested? What caught your attention? What was your first class like?

9 Replies to Why did you first start ballet?

re: Why did you first start ballet?
By yostretch
On Wed Dec 23, 2009 02:21 PM
I started as a tap dancer and move into ballet when the teachers figured out I had turn out....my first class I drove 90 miles to take and had a blasted I did not know what was going on just that I was having fun ....I think I was 12
By pondflyPremium member
On Thu Dec 24, 2009 09:05 PM
Since it has been 28+ years later, I consider it being just getting started. When I started back then I don't recall but I know the young age, being a male and embarrassed to tell my friends I convinced my parents to quit.

Forward to about a year ago my boss is big into the arts and invites us to all kinds of shows (very generous doctor), finally peaked my interest again. I've been mulling it over during that time and recently I have a little more time on my hands I thought of going back to it. So here I am waiting to hear back from two schools I emailed this week.
By se81ballet
On Fri Dec 25, 2009 01:35 AM
First became interested when I was maybe 4 or 5. Really don't even remember for sure, probably saw a ballet on tv or something, and it made an impression. Too nervous to try it though. At age 20, things finally lined up right and I took classes starting in August, and classes have been awesome.
By luv2plie
On Fri Dec 25, 2009 01:30 PM
I got interested in ballet at the age of 10. We had a school fieldtrip to the San Francisco Ballet! It was awesome and after seeing the Nutcracker...I was hooked.

I was too scare to take ballet until I was 19. I got very serious in ballet at the age of 24. I am now 41 and taking 12 dance classes a week!

Ballet rocks!

Kev
By Old_Ballet_Dude
On Sun Dec 27, 2009 09:06 AM
I've long wanted to try ballet, but never had the time or guts to give it a try. Finally when I hit 50, I decided to belly up to the barre sort of speak. My main goal in ballet is to use it as a way to get back into/stay in shape. I have no lofty thoughts of performing or even being all that great at it.
By adsum
On Thu Dec 31, 2009 04:21 PM
I just made a podcast yesterday about this! If anyone is interested check out the new Ballet for Men podcast. This is the first episode, and I discuss how I got started. It was a lot of fun.

Check it out!
www.balletformen.com . . .
By rxforu
On Wed Jan 06, 2010 08:14 PM
I always loved ballet when I was a child. I remeber seeing the Nutcracker when I was in grade school and loved it. Never had the nerve to take lessons until I was in college playing baseball. Had bad hamstrings and somebody suggested I take ballet to help strengthen my leg muscles and to become more limber. It helped alot. Unfortanely I had major hip surgery and can no longer take ballet..plus with a family I really do not have the time any more..however I still love going to ballt shows when I get the time.
By JamieChampXD
On Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:14 PM
I'm hoping to start soon as I do ADFP disco dance at the moment but one of the lessons has been cancelled due to hall issues, so I think I'm going to take up a lesson of ballet in its place. I'm 15, I hope I'm not too old to start now :S
By rmdanceguy1
On Sat Feb 20, 2010 02:00 AM
I started because I always wanted to start since I was about 10. I saw local abbreviated show on a morning show from a local company. One lead was a boy younger than me. I also saw a performance on TV which was a pas de deux which was awesome. That pas de deux really peeked my interest. I get to 9th grade and develop a huge crush with a beautiful girl classmate who danced. I later learned college and pro football players took classes to help them train for football as I wanted to play football in high school. Well, I was then hooked on the dance and the ladies in the dance forever.

I'm not sure why you would take the time and expense with classes and not to want to perform. I, too, am taking classes for the health benefits, but the art was meant to be performed. Yes, as you get older the opportunities to perform are limited. A career is for younger students. However, we can be satisfied with a local productions or studio recitals and productions.

I am sure studio owners in my area would give anything to have any boys or men in their productions, recitals, or other local productions no matter their level of ability.

ReplySendWatch