Popular Ballet

Big Toe Problem by hokiedancer
Hi! I'm an Irish dancer, but many times, we aren't as technically trained, so I am reaching out to...

Forum: Irish / Irish - Dressmakers & Costumers

Irish - Dressmakers & Costumers
small problem with number holder placement en>fr fr>en
By saoirse3473member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2039, member since Sun Sep 02, 2007
On Thu Dec 24, 2009 07:45 PM

so ive got this beautiful double puffball dress, and the bodice is sewn very tightly on to the skirt, and i want to place a small ribbon to hook a crystal number-clip through on the side of the dress (my left side).
but i'm not sure where to sew it! i want it at the bodice line, but there are 300 crystals lined all along the "edge" of the bodice, and i dont want to mess that up, and i dont know if i should just sew it on to the actual skirt on the "puff" fabric.

any seggustions?
also, how do i make it so the number wont flop all over the place?

i added a picture of my dress so you can see what i'm talking about (minus the crystals, i dont have a picture yet)

any advice is much appreciated!

4 Replies to small problem with number holder placement

re: small problem with number holder placement en>fr fr>en
By rincedragonflymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 4495, member since Sun Mar 20, 2005
On Fri Dec 25, 2009 12:34 AM
To keep it from flopping around, I'd say do two clips. I don't know if someone else has a more ingenious suggestion, but it's what I did. Space them a few inches apart, and your number isn't going anyway. :)

As for where to sew it...can you put it right where the bodice meets the skirt? And I mean *right* there. Otherwise I think you might A) Mess up the line of crystals or B) Make it look disjointed and off.

That's just my advice...I'm not a dressmaker, but I did make my own solo dress. :)
By saoirse3473member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2039, member since Sun Sep 02, 2007
On Fri Dec 25, 2009 08:32 AM
see i thought about putting it right on that line of the bodice and skirt, but its super thick and tough! plus there are ,again, 200 crystals lined on that thing right there. but i was thinking on the first layer of bubble at the top on the side as close to the bodice as i can get...
By painter308member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 321, member since Sun Jun 22, 2008
On Fri Dec 25, 2009 02:01 PM
Hi,
I have kinda the same style dress as yours, but mine is a three tier, almost rahrah. When I sewed mine on I kinda put the clip in between the pleats of the first tier, that way I could sew through only one layer of fabric. I also pinned my number at the bottom, of the tier, for the O, just to make sure that it couldn't fall off.

Good luck!
I wish my dressmaker could have done this for me!
By Irish_Danzer_NZmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 763, member since Tue May 16, 2006
On Fri Dec 25, 2009 05:46 PM
Hi there, I know you're specifically asking about a number holder but since you mentioned you have diamantes lining the waist of your dress have you thought about putting your number on a clear elastic strap instead? Kind of like the see through bra straps that you can get y'know? A girl from my school does this then ties it around her waist. Only down side is that it may ride up but other wise it looks fine. Sorry I don't have any advice about the number holder though. Best of luck

Corinne x

ReplySendWatch