Forum: General / Modern / Modern Dance Videos

Modern Dance Videos
first choreo...comments please :D
By stargurlnpeak Comments: 33, member since Sun Apr 16, 2006
On Mon Dec 28, 2009 08:28 AM

ahmm..so i haven't been dancing around much lately but this came up all of sudden, all comments are welcome!

thanks

www.youtube.com . . .

11 Replies to first choreo...comments please :D

re: first choreo...comments please :D
By sophiesteff Comments: 2, member since Sat Jan 02, 2010
On Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:03 AM
I would have never guessed it was brand new! I think you're great! :)
By RebelRosemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 737, member since Wed Apr 11, 2007
On Thu Jan 07, 2010 03:09 PM
hi(:
i just have a few critiques if thats okay.
from what i can tell you have great technique so far and amazing flexibility- and i cant really tell in the shoes you are wearing but from what i see you have pretty good feet as well.

which is good.
however..
there is no purpose behind the movements
you have no expression, i dont even think you worked up a sweat in that dance. i would say just go for it and open up- there always has to be a reason why your doing that dance move
and its not just a movement of the body it has to come from somewhere inside.

and i also think that the choreography didnt fill up the music that well-i feel like you were just waiting for the next move. i think this is a product of the way that you dance because when you dance you have to be sure and extend your every move to the fullest-dont stop- push your limits because i think that you have great potential

my dance teacher always tells me that every move should hurt(:
so just keep that in mind when your dancing

i hope this helped
paeace.
-Angela
On Fri Jan 08, 2010 02:04 AM
Thanks a bunch! ^_^
On Fri Jan 08, 2010 02:08 AM
Oh hey!
thank you very much for your critique!
I absolutely think you're right and I will put that into consideration next time =)

"my dance teacher always tells me that every move should hurt(:"
that is an amazing quote :D i have no dance teacher to tell me that!
thanks again Angela
By AlwaysOnStagePremium member Comments: 7417, member since Sun Apr 18, 2004
On Fri Jan 08, 2010 09:15 PM
I think the first thing you should work on if you continue to choreograph is to NOT let the beat control you.

Your movements are very ' beat...beat...beat...beat... ' and it makes for a stagnant dance. Even with a solid beat, you can go faster than the beat and slower than the beat. If you hold out a romb de jambe, it looks more dramatic. If you do a series of quick footwork, it becomes lighter. The beats should not dictate or control your dance, your dance should be so strong that the beats make it stronger. You can still hit major musical moments, without making each beat as important as the one before it and after it.
By irishgirl93 Comments: 423, member since Fri Jun 23, 2006
On Sat Jan 09, 2010 07:51 PM
I agree with all above posters. You look like a beautiful dancer. You have awesome flexibility and what seems to be good technique so keep it up! But try to dance it more. We had a discussion today about a dance being either "pose. pose. pose." or the dance being the movement between each position rather than having a series of poses to hit.
And I agree about searching for intention. I have a certain person or idea that I "dance to". Whatever it needs to be for you, find that inspiration!
Keep up the great work!
On Mon Jan 11, 2010 08:39 AM
AlwaysOnStage wrote:

I think the first thing you should work on if you continue to choreograph is to NOT let the beat control you.

Your movements are very ' beat...beat...beat...beat... ' and it makes for a stagnant dance. Even with a solid beat, you can go faster than the beat and slower than the beat. If you hold out a romb de jambe, it looks more dramatic. If you do a series of quick footwork, it becomes lighter. The beats should not dictate or control your dance, your dance should be so strong that the beats make it stronger. You can still hit major musical moments, without making each beat as important as the one before it and after it.

oh my god that is totally true! I just noticed! To be honest, I thought that is how i was supposed to choregraph at first! but i noticed now that if I made them connect smoothly it wouldve looked much more better... *feeling like a total smarty pants*
thanks a lot for your reply!
On Mon Jan 11, 2010 08:41 AM
irishgirl93 wrote:

I agree with all above posters. You look like a beautiful dancer. You have awesome flexibility and what seems to be good technique so keep it up! But try to dance it more. We had a discussion today about a dance being either "pose. pose. pose." or the dance being the movement between each position rather than having a series of poses to hit.
And I agree about searching for intention. I have a certain person or idea that I "dance to". Whatever it needs to be for you, find that inspiration!
Keep up the great work!

thank you alot for your reply, i will definitely try to make it better next time!
By lifewithderekk Comments: 56, member since Fri Oct 05, 2007
On Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:01 PM
love halo, love beyonce, love you xx
By lifewithderekk Comments: 56, member since Fri Oct 05, 2007
On Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:03 PM
love halo, love beyonce, love you xx
On Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:26 PM
Thank youu