What tasks do your office managers do for you?
By buzzdancer
On 12/29/2009 03:59:14
I posted a post several weeks ago. My office manager is my mother and it worked great in the beginning. I have now expanded dramatically and she cannot handle it, she is making lots of mistakes and I have to redo everything. My advice from dance.net was to promote her to what she enjoys doing which is talking to the parents/pupils and creating a friendly environment which I believe she is good at and would enjoy. I am taking on someone else to manage the office. What tasks do they do for you?
re: What tasks do your office managers do for you?
By buzzdancer
On 12/29/2009 09:48:27
Thank you that's a lot of tasks! Did you manage all that by yourself?
By vfdt
On 12/29/2009 09:54:45
^^^ And the "good news" is that some SO's, forced to be small recreational schools by declining demographics, do all of the above, and get to teach most of their classes too ;~)
By buzzdancer
On 12/29/2009 09:58:17
I'm laughing as I currently pay my mother to do this but I do it all my self when I get home! It's a lot when you see it all written down.
By Kris31
On 12/30/2009 11:10:36
Our office manager does all the same as above. Although she does not handle the bookkeeping. She will accept payments and we print out a daily open invoices report for her to look at account balances for customers. In addition, she is our go-to person for things such as preschool potty emergencies, student needs a band-aid or is sick an dneeds to have a parent called. She also gets the instructors drinks. COULDN'T LIVE WITH OUT HER!!!
By J1ll
On 12/30/2009 11:21:01
Heartzjoy pretty much sums it up very well. And I agree with the other posters that the office manager doesn't do actual bookkeeping but they are the go to person for customers to drop off tuition/costume/comp fee payments.
By kandykane
On 12/30/2009 11:35:56
Ditto for the duties listed for me when I was office manager. The biggest help for the staff was me being the buffer. I handled all the questions and complaints and dealt with what I could and passed on what needed to be passed on to the SO and head teacher. Many of the teachers were young (under 21) and it helped to have an adult around for parents to talk to. I took payments and sent out costume orders but did not handle actual book keeping. I also took care of measuring the students for costuming and any minor repairs. I kept the bathroom stocked with tampons, pads, toilet paper, paper towels, soap, first aid kit, etc. I was also stage manager at the recitals and managed all the volunteers. EDIT: Ah yes, errands. I picked up dinner and the mail many times! I even gave a few students rides. kk~
By Hornpipe5
On 12/30/2009 15:42:26
I like the buffer comment-- that's basically what mine does. She fields all of the phone calls and emails to the studio so that i don't have to answer the same questions all the time. She sends out info to interested students, follows up with trials, maintains our class lists, mails invoices and statements, lets me know when there are bills that need to be paid, updates the bulletin boards and studio calendars with announcements. This coming semester she'll be in charge of scheduling all of our St. Patrick's Day shows and getting everyone outfitted for the parade. This fall I fired my other manager because she was making too many mistakes and was calling my house ten times a day; my current office manager respects my time away from the studio as family time, to which I am eternally grateful.

© 2022 - www.dance.net -- 08/10/2022 18:36:35