Bartering - need help with paperwork
By tcsso
On 12/31/2009 19:12:55
I just got off the phone with a former dance mom who quit back in March due to financial reasons. I've kept in touch with them and have run into them a few times. They have always expressed interest in returning. It just so happens that come Monday, I won't have anyone to serve as office assistant. So I called the mom and offered her oldest daughter all hours available in exchange for tuition for her and her younger sister. The mom jumped at it and now I have an office assistant... and a barter situation I haven't had experience with. I know some of you are cringing at the thought of a teen at the front desk. The job is uber simple, essentially babysitting the front desk and accepting payments. We've had two months to test it out with three others and everything has been smooth. I already have a manual of operations. I'm confident that she can do this. So... I need a little help coming up with an agreement of sorts for the mother to sign. Like I said, I've never bartered like this before. I rarely barter as is. Anyone have some useful tips/ideas to throw out there?
re: Bartering - need help with paperwork
By CherryBee
On 12/31/2009 20:03:03
We've done some barter (and outright scholarship) but if there's going to be a job with set work hours, I would rather see the employee paid an hourly rate and have them, in turn, pay tuition. That way, it's all black and white. Is she actually going to work enough hours to pay your full tuition? At what, minimum wage? I wouldn't pay any more than that to a teen (and, legally, under federal guidelines, unless you have at least 15 employees, you don't even have to pay that). You would be taking out all the taxes, etc., whereas, the other way, you would be giving her a 1099 at the end of the year on which she would have to pay taxes out of her pocket (possibly). If she worked 4 hours @ $7.25 (is that min. wage now?), that would be $29/gross, not nearly enough to pay tuition for one class. It looks like she might have to work 2 hours to get 1 hour of class (roughly speaking). You paying her and her paying you keeps everything clear. Numbers and record-keeping can be overlooked and become vague without that, at least in my experience. Honestly, we've always come out on the short end of the stick when we've had teens work for us. What about the days she might not be able to work and she's short hours to convert to class hours? Sick, absent for unknown reasons, some sort of obligation at school, all those things can interrupt your tit-for-tat exchange. And then to give the sister classes on top of the teen, I think you're going to be waaay behind the eight ball.
By Rose
On 01/01/2010 03:34:15
I agree with CherryBee. Pay her for her work, and let her pay tuition. That makes everything clear. It is always easy when things are going as they are planned, but what if she get's ill, or just wants to quit her classes? What if she is making mistakes in her work, or you just want someone else behind your desk (no matter for what reason). Give her a normal contract, make the normal job agreements with her. Let her pay the normal tuition. IF things turn out bad, this gives you both the chance to work everything out untill the last penny.
By MammyID
On 01/02/2010 14:45:40
I like this idea. i have a mom who recently offered her services as she can no longer afford tuition . I am still contemplating as the mom is super nice, but the kid is a huge discipline problem...its always something!

© 2022 - dancer.pro -- 08/12/2022 08:35:42